Prop Wash & RTH

Reaction score
So I've been reading a lot about people descending and the drone doing the death wobble (prop wash). I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen when the drone is auto landing. For example by initiate the RTH with it say 1000 feet straight up.

jdvmi00 said:
So I've been reading a lot about people descending and the drone doing the death wobble (prop wash). I'm just curious if anyone has had this happen when the drone is auto landing. For example by initiate the RTH with it say 1000 feet straight up.

Yes they have, a pattern seems to be emerging that if you use prop guards and you do a RTH landing then they appear to increase the chances of getting the death wobble.

Jayson Hanes said:
I have done RTH from 2,000 feet on a windy evening, without any issue during auto-landing..

Wind can lessen the effects of descending too fast straight down, it's effectively the same thing as moving to the side while coming down.

The correct term is "vortex ring state" that you can lookup on wikipedia.

The Phantom descends too slowly on RTH, at least on my Phantom 1.1.1 with stock props. I believe the P2 props on the 1.1.1 increases the chances as it moves more air.

Nevertheless it should be heart stopping to see it fall from the sky. Full throttle forward is your only chance to get out of that.

this isn't precisely on topic but does anybody know if a P2 goes into RTH state is there any way to break that and re-gain immediate control?

I'm thinking fine, you flew way too far away and triggered RTH but now it's back where you can see it and just want to take back over... is that a thing?

I have the FC40 with guards and it does wobble a bit but I'm now getting more accustomed to catching it rather than letting it land. Safer and looks nice for the inevitable crowd that gets drawn...

QYV said:
I'm thinking fine, you flew way too far away and triggered RTH but now it's back where you can see it and just want to take back over... is that a thing?

Yep, flick S2 switch from ATTI to GPS a couple of times.

BigBadFun said:
QYV said:

Yep, flick S2 switch from ATTI to GPS a couple of times.

cool thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl