Prop guards YES or NO

prop guards are ok they don't make that much of a difference. I am 15 and a very experienced pilot, so I say if you have them you may as well use them. the slight loss of manuverability is a small price to pay than a new blade(s).

I'm old and experienced and use quick-release prop guards pretty much all the time. Occasionally I'll remove them if I need a higher camera angle for a shot but otherwise they stay on. It's just like wearing a helmet riding a bike, motorcycle or snowmobile. Some do, some don't. As long as you never crash, you don't need them. I prefer to mitigate the chances of chipping or breaking a prop on something at altitude and having to take everything home in a bag. Although they only help marginally when you accidentally plow your multi-rotor into the treetops at full pitch.

I'm interested in close in work ie flying within a few feet of structures for inspections etc. I've been practicing and so far so good but it's a bit tricky at times. It occurs to me that prop guards would be ideal "just in case" a gust of wind takes it in a little bit closer than desirable. Can I ask, how do the quick release guards work, these would seem the best solution for me. Do they simply clip on? Also, of those that advocate their use, are there any that can be recommended as not overly affecting stability?

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm interested in close in work ie flying within a few feet of structures for inspections etc. I've been practicing and so far so good but it's a bit tricky at times. It occurs to me that prop guards would be ideal "just in case" a gust of wind takes it in a little bit closer than desirable. Can I ask, how do the quick release guards work, these would seem the best solution for me. Do they simply clip on? Also, of those that advocate their use, are there any that can be recommended as not overly affecting stability?

Thanks guys

Best thing to do is to search "Quick release prop guards" on YouTube, there are lots of videos showing them.

Prop guards affect operation, they create some turbulence and in my experience they make the quad more squirrelly when there's any wind present. Even as such, I typically fly with them as my Phantom 1 tends to tip over on occasion (especially of there is any wind), and using carbon fiber props that can get both expensive and dangerous. It doesn't change the handling enough that I find it a problem usually.

In your situation, removable guards would allow you to make that decision on a case by case basis.

Reactions: movius
I USE PROP GUARDS AND STRING ALL THE TIME.
THE STRING MAKES THE QUAD BOUNCE OFF THE OBJECT AND THE QUAD CAN
THEN RECOVER.
IN A PINWHEEL CRASH NOTHING GETS BROKE !!!

PAPA JOE

Reactions: movius
I USE PROP GUARDS AND STRING ALL THE TIME.
THE STRING MAKES THE QUAD BOUNCE OFF THE OBJECT AND THE QUAD CAN
THEN RECOVER.
IN A PINWHEEL CRASH NOTHING GETS BROKE !!!

PAPA JOE
Hmm.. hadn't actually thought of that. What a good idea. Something to investigate I think. Thank you.

I've had a look at what's available here in the UK. Tricky decision. Nothing stands out, most stuff is pretty much the same. Can anyone recommend some brands or a part number to search for. I'm happy to pay a little more for quality.

I'd like something with a good "bounce" so perhaps a little softer material as I'm going to be doing a lot of close in inspection work. It'll help keep me out of trouble.

Last edited:
All I can say is if you take them off PLEASE USE THE STOCK (smaller) SCREWS we have had to many people have motor problems ;)
And I'm not a fan of them :D
GL!

Im one of those people. Completely ruined my 3 standard by making the idiot mistake of putting the prop guard screws in without the guards. Ruined all 4 motors and shorted the board.

New pilot here. My "prop-guards" arrived today. (I call them training wheels). The instructions specifically say the string is there as a barrier between the guards.

Strange, nobody mentioned "Other people's safety" Prop guards help you avoid hurting innocent bystanders should your quad suddenly decide to hurtle downward into someone. I wonder if the young guy who had his carotid artery severed and died when a wayward quad crashed into him as he walked through a US park may have survived if the quad had guards fitted. Or would the little boy have kept his right eye if guards had been fitted to the quad which took off from a bench and hit him?

Whilst they may not be a 100% safeguard, neither are seatbelts in cars any guarantee you won't be killed in an accident. They have to be better than nothing at all. Personally I'd much rather put up with the small differences in flight whilst they're fitted, than take a chance at hitting someone with my quad. I'm afraid that guy called Murphy lives at my place and follows me everywhere. I'm pretty sure I'll never hit anyone whilst I have guards fitted, but God help me if I take them off, Murphy will make sure I hit everyone.

Reactions: skymonkey
I wonder if the young guy who had his carotid artery severed and died when a wayward quad crashed into him as he walked through a US park may have survived if the quad had guards fitted.
Can you point to a source for this incident?
I haven't heard of it and can't find anything similar mentioned with Google.
If it actually happened, it sould be easy to find.

I fly my fc 40 without them.....but...land the drone by hand....to avoid lopsided crashes

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31