Prop guards ...Yes or No

DJI sent out a notice today asking people not to use their prop guards. They come with Phantom 2 motor screws -- which are too long for the Phantom 3.

These prop guards are safe to buy. If you have a different Phantom model, you can find compatible prop guards here.

Last edited:
Some like them and others think they are an accident waiting to happen.
They do hamper your Phantom, slowing it down and acting like sails.
My feelings are ... If are flying somewhere that you think prop guards are the answer, you are probably flying in the wrong place.
The one exception might be if you were doing an indoor shoot.

Reactions: landmannnn
Having just got my first drone/Phantom, I KNOW its just WHEN not IF im going to bump into something and with that noob "bump" i'm going to make my Phantom crash and burn. With that said, if spending $30 on these better quality ones which I just ordered and it helps PREVENT my crashing my entire Phantom during my early noob flying "bumps" I consider the reduction of flight time and agility worth it.

But thats just me. Plus, these ones have correct length screws and they are quick release unlike stock DJIl.

http://www.amazon.com/Summitlink®-G...sim_421_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QSSM9R8EM24NG9FF7DH

91HQIaN4tXL._SL1500_.jpg

If they help PREVENT my crashing my entire Phantom during my early noob flying "bumps" I consider the reduction of flight time and agility worth it.
I can't emphasise enough how important it is to keep well clear of obstacles.
Trees, buildings etc are deadly for Phantoms.
Staying out in the open is by far the most effective way to prevent bumping into things.
And one more time ...
If are flying somewhere that you think prop guards are the answer, you are probably flying in the wrong place.

Reactions: PhotoGuyAaron
The answer is simple.
If you are going to run into stuff, or tip over trying to land, yes.

Otherwise do without, they create a fair amount of drag which reduces flight time.

Prop guards have saved me hundreds of dollars on props, and other broken parts while I was learning how to keep from bumping into stuff. Tip overs on landing are stupid and aggravating, I catch.

If are flying somewhere that you think prop guards are the answer, you are probably flying in the wrong place.

And here we go..... Did it ever occur to you that maybe I wanna fly in indoor spaces for whatever reason and that my learning to fly may case "bumps" into walls and such? Maybe I wanna learn how to get close up shots of nature and far away abandoned buildings that that for me, having the insurance of not having an "instant" crash because I messed up is worth the tradeoffs.

Think more before you judge others peoples uses and desires of their Phantoms

Indoors only if it's a completele must, if you need them outside learn how to fly for a few more months

Reactions: Meta4
And here we go..... Did it ever occur to you that maybe I wanna fly in indoor spaces for whatever reason and that my learning to fly may case "bumps" into walls and such? Maybe I wanna learn how to get close up shots of nature and far away abandoned buildings that that for me, having the insurance of not having an "instant" crash because I messed up is worth the tradeoffs.

Think more before you judge others peoples uses and desires of their Phantoms
That escalated quick.jpg

I think they are ok and still have mine on. handy should you ever tip over on landing to protect props.

They can easily be justified when starting out. Especially with P2 whose ESCs will blow instantly if you stop the prop. Not convinced personally they help much after you have a few flights under your belt, especially if you hand catch.

I would be really interested to hear if the P3 ESC design has changed. If it hasn't stopping a prop looks like it would mean a main board change.

... If are flying somewhere that you think prop guards are the answer, you are probably flying in the wrong place.....

That's a huge over generalisation. And can just as easily be reversed - unless you're flying somewhere where you couldn't ever need a guard, you should be using them.
Generalisations are a poor way to argue, and generally very easily countered.

Not everyone flies in wide open skies miles from obstacles. And no one ever plans to have an accident, they're always unplanned, so using a guard unless there are very specific reasons not to, is just good sense. If an accident does occur, it can save costs, and potentially save injuries, and having seen the scars and stitches an S1000 caused to an extremely experienced pilot, injuries can be quite significant and occur to anyone of all experience levels, because mechanical devices can fail and do unexpected things. His did, and the cuts were many and deep.

I use quick release ones that are 3D printed by MortarArt, they're very light, behave much less like sails, weigh very little, and I use them whenever there's no specific reason to leave them off.
I leave them off when I have a specific shot or video that I need where they'll likely get in the shot. I also leave them off if I absolutely have to shoot despite winds being borderline, and they will be the difference between surviving the winds or not surviving, or when I must absolutely stretch every last second of flight time out of a single battery.

Those are the main reasons for NOT having them, but there are at least as many reasons TO have them.

Basically I think take each flight on its merits, and decide at the time. But writing them off because of some sense of pride - "I don't need them" - or because you believe everyone should only ever be flying in wide open spaces miles from anything and anyone, is at best a little naïve. The law here states 30m from people. Start having mechanical or flyaway problems with a Phantom mechanically and it can easily cover that legal 30m space and fly into people that you're perfectly legally allowed to be near, and those of us who use ours professionally can't possibly work on the principle that you're in the wrong place if you need them.

Reactions: 66Fury
and having seen the scars and stitches an S1000 caused to an extremely experienced pilot, injuries can be quite significant and occur to anyone of all experience levels, because mechanical devices can fail and do unexpected things. His did, and the cuts were many and deep.
Huge difference between s1000 carbon fibre blades and plastic p3 props, it's like comparing a samurai sword and a plastic knife. The main damage a phantom will do is the weight of it hitting someone. I've put my arm into the p2 blades at full throttle on purpose to prove this point, skin was scratched but unbroken and the motors just stopped

Legit reasons both for & against prop guards. Starting with 2 sets of props I chewed the 1st set pretty good but haven’t gotten a nick on the 2nd set since.

Currently toying with the idea of a “cage” or “exoskeleton” to provide extra confidence and protection(s) in tight areas.

Something like this -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I use quick release ones that are 3D printed by MortarArt, they're very light, behave much less like sails, weigh very little,

Do you know what the weight is - including the part which is permanently fastened to the aircraft. I use a backpack and so fixed prop guards have never been a possibility. However I saw a review last year on some quick release ones, but they added over 130g == approx 2 minutes of flight time, which is a lot. Just wonderered if any of the newer ones had got the weight down. Part of the problem with quick release is that they do tend to be heavier than fitted ones.

And here we go..... Did it ever occur to you that maybe I wanna fly in indoor spaces for whatever reason and that my learning to fly may case "bumps" into walls and such?

Pardon me, but it sounds like you answered your own question already.

I use quick release ones that are 3D printed by MortarArt, they're very light, behave much less like sails, weigh very little, and I use them whenever there's no specific reason to leave them off.

Where can you purchase those?

NM found em. Ouch, pricey and shipping from Aus is gonna be expensive

Do you know what the weight is - including the part which is permanently fastened to the aircraft. I use a backpack and so fixed prop guards have never been a possibility. However I saw a review last year on some quick release ones, but they added over 130g == approx 2 minutes of flight time, which is a lot. Just wonderered if any of the newer ones had got the weight down. Part of the problem with quick release is that they do tend to be heavier than fitted ones.

These don't have a part that is permanently attached. The clip on and off as one piece each.
Will have to see if I can find the weight.
The guy that makes them has them pruned way down to the minimum
Think the members name here is MonsieurAnon or can search for Mortarart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where can you purchase those?

NM found em. Ouch, pricey and shipping from Aus is gonna be expensive
Price to Aus was around $45 from memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like this -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The stirrer in me, would love to do something like that and then fly it over a city at night, just high enough that it's hard to work out if it's huge and far away, or small and close, and watch all the UFO reports come pouring in.

Reactions: Ti22

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic