Pretty sure I just lost my drone to Mexican customs.

I have had my P3Pro since the first week that it came out and I love it. The only problem I have had is with stress cracks in the motor mount areas. I was traveling into Puerto Vallarta as the pilot of a private jet and they said that drones are not allowed into the country (which is not true). Then he said that it is a restriction for flight crew members only and that if I was a passenger it would have been fine. He said that they had to confiscate it and keep it in their customs offices until my return to the US on Sunday. When I asked for a receipt showing that I left it with them they said that if they documented it I wouldn't end up getting it back at all. So I am hoping they're being honest with me and they will return it to me on Sunday but I'm not holding my breath. About 1700 dollars worth of stuff in that **** backpack. The only thing they let me take out of it was my iPad and the gimbal because it was just an "accessory"

Did u get the Drone back? The reason I am asking is that I am going to Cancun in June.
If you are a passenger you'll be fine. I only got it taken because of a crewmember restriction. I was the pilot of the flight going down there. Apparently for passengers you'll be taxed whatever they determine the value is over 300 dollars.

If you are a passenger you'll be fine. I only got it taken because of a crewmember restriction. I was the pilot of the flight going down there. Apparently for passengers you'll be taxed whatever they determine the value is over 300 dollars.
What is the tax for? I mean, officially? Is it like a Use Tax? Like a, you have nice stuff, so you have to pay us to enjoy your nice stuff down here, kind of a tax? Or do they think it might be resold for profit or something?

Dam that sucks. I am planning to take my drone to Puerto Vallarta in august from the UK.

Hi mate, landed in PV on the 20th May 16, from Manchester in the UK. 9th time to Mexico. No end of problems at customs getting my bird in. Well, I say no end of problems...........ended up having to pay 16% of it's USD value to get them to let me take it through. It was 3000 pesos, £110. Was absolutely raging. Not a **** thing I could do about it tho. The alternative was leave my bird at the airport and pick it up on the way home two weeks later..............and that WASN'T happening! Anyhoo, disgruntlement aside, I've managed to get some great photos and video! Oh and by the way, they gave me a receipt, with my birds serial number on it and told me that if I ever take it back to Mexico it is covered and just to show the receipt.........."maybe". Their words!!! SMH. PV is awesome. Good luck!

We got the Mexicans, you got the French...you lucky!

So,..lived in So. Cal for 30yrs. Tijuana & the roads South would stop your car,..pull you over. As they approached they would say your taillight is broken. If you protested that it was not,..they would walk to the back, break it, and demand $$$. Really they want an even bigger bribe. Your drone is either being flown by an "official's" kid,..or it is hauling drugs. Sorry, man,..I don't "do" Mex anymore...

So,..lived in So. Cal for 30yrs. Tijuana & the roads South would stop your car,..pull you over. As they approached they would say your taillight is broken. If you protested that it was not,..they would walk to the back, break it, and demand $$$. Really they want an even bigger bribe. Your drone is either being flown by an "official's" kid,..or it is hauling drugs. Sorry, man,..I don't "do" Mex anymore...
LOL apparent you have not been reading all posts , I go to tj all the time and have never experienced what you are talking about. Good stay away from mx

plus the federals carry machine guns so much fun use to go to rocky point a lot always ways great getting my truck searched slip them a 20 all is good

plus the federals carry machine guns so much fun use to go to rocky point a lot always ways great getting my truck searched slip them a 20 all is good
Flpholt: yeah,..I had a friend always drove to Cabo to fish,..(I think Cabo),..anyway,...he said same thing,..only, "slip them $100 bill, and all's good!" My reply:"that's expensive fishing"! Got stopped for nothing in Cancun myself one time. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...

yeah getting truck searched by non speaking English people with machine guns always gave me warm fuzzy feeling

yeah getting truck searched by non speaking English people with machine guns always gave me warm fuzzy feeling
Flpholt: Soooo, in 2012 I went into the Congo DRC,..in Africa. Rode into Interior rain forest on motorbikes with driver's I had never seen. Mid day my 2 partners and me were "detained" in a tin shed four hours in the Tropical sun. Our offense? We didn't have a "permit to pass",... a permit that literally does NOT even exist!! Demanded $300 US each. We were guarded by 3 militiamen with long auto weapons. We actually outwaited the "Minister of Something",(made up by him),...until they wanted to go home,....for food. The "$300 demand" disappeared, and we walked. Is there a school for this crap??

Reactions: flpholt
Yes he got it back,. what dates are you going? I'll be there (with the P3P)june 14/23.
Where are you staying?
Going June 18-22 and will be at The Royal Sands.
Not taking the Drone. Do not want to have the problem with Mexico .

Are you taking the Drone to Mex. Where are u staying?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

UPDATE! Went back to the airport early this morning and the guy wasn't there. So I talked to one of his employees and they called him and he told them to just give it to me. It was locked in a cabinet in his office. So I got it back and didn't have to pay anybody out. I guess the guy was telling the truth.
You got very lucky he wasent there, one of the officers there at the time wasent in on the scam or he thought a real senior officer was there, or you may have been with someone etc, so he had to make them return it.

Always carry cash in Mexico that way you can pretty much do what you want, I'm not trying to sound ignorant but it is like that.

The OP admitted his folly in the first contact situation, found help, and regained possession of his bird.

Put yourself in the shoes of the customs workers for just a second:
"This thing looks like it flies."
"This thing looks like it could carry a bomb."
"This thing looks like it could carry contraband."
"TERRORIST!!!"
"What should I do?!?"

How would you proceed when presented with technology like that when you don't know about or understand it?

I would absolutely confiscate, and most likely destroy, said technology.

Don't be so quick to judge. The amount of ethnocentricism in this thread made me sad enough to post.

The OP could've eradicated most of Mexico City's population in an instant.

But (s)he didn't.
have you been to mexico

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl