Pretty sure I just lost my drone to Mexican customs.

Not as corrupt as everyone thinks, f all the haters Mexico is a beautiful country full of culture and respectful courteous people. Held the door open for some people in the states and they don't even say thank you (about slammed the door back in their face), people cut in line at check out and overly obese people paying with their welfare cards.. Glad you got your drone back

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: mmee1992
mexico is nice used to hang out in rocky point all the time but the police and government really are crooks .remember getting drunk on sea of cortez we all went swimming middle of the night with locals on the boat great people very friendly

I don't think our authority figures would take your drone, here in Canada... Probably very highly unlikely... But eh, one can never be sure, of the powers that be. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Corrupt Mexican government officials?

I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow! Happy for you!

UPDATE! Went back to the airport early this morning and the guy wasn't there. So I talked to one of his employees and they called him and he told them to just give it to me. It was locked in a cabinet in his office. So I got it back and didn't have to pay anybody out. I guess the guy was telling the truth.

I've removed a dozen or so political posts. The next person to mention Trump and a wall (either for or against) gets a warning and points towards suspension. This site does not allow off topic political discussion.

If you see any off topic political comments anywhere on this site, report them and they will be removed.

Lol all these people talking this and that about Mexican
People being so corrupted and you ended up getting your bird back. How ever I am going to cancun june 22 16 and planing to bring my bird. Besides the person who posted the thread has anyone else been to Mexico and had a bad experience with not being able to bring your drone in ? I don't want to hear( my friend someone i know told me ). I want to hear from someone who has actually been there and had a good or bad experience with Mexican customs ? Thanks in advance and I'm glad you got your bird back

I'm glad you got your P3 back. I live in Guatemala so am very familiar with abusive officials. But now all my birds are registered with the local Civil Aviation authority, with their respective Reg # (Here it's TG-UAV-XXX). Lady at Customs last time was salivating to nail me, and disappointed when I had all the correct paperwork.

UPDATE! Went back to the airport early this morning and the guy wasn't there. So I talked to one of his employees and they called him and he told them to just give it to me. It was locked in a cabinet in his office. So I got it back and didn't have to pay anybody out. I guess the guy was telling the truth.
AAHHHHH!!!! SO good the hear! FANTASTIC! Guess the guy who confiscated it didn't want to get in trouble now that his scheme was exposed!

Lol all these people talking this and that about Mexican
People being so corrupted and you ended up getting your bird back. How ever I am going to cancun june 22 16 and planing to bring my bird. Besides the person who posted the thread has anyone else been to Mexico and had a bad experience with not being able to bring your drone in ? I don't want to hear( my friend someone i know told me ). I want to hear from someone who has actually been there and had a good or bad experience with Mexican customs ? Thanks in advance and I'm glad you got your bird back
I got some clarification on the rules. As a passenger you will just be taxed on the assessed value over $300.00 dollars. I want to say its a flat 15%.

AAHHHHH!!!! SO good the hear! FANTASTIC! Guess the guy who confiscated it didn't want to get in trouble now that his scheme was exposed!
I don't think it was a scheme after all. My spanish is just very poor so I felt in the moment that I was being taken advantage of because he wouldn't give a receipt. I took a "handler" with me when I returned that could translate and it seems the official was helping me out a bit. He said that crew members are only allowed a certain list of items (cell phone, tablet, laptop, clothing, luggage, etc.) and up to $150 worth of other merchandise. anything valued over $150 has to have paperwork filled out to import the item into the country and I would have been taxed. If I wanted to then take it out of the country I would have to hire a customs broker to export the item and it would have cost me a fortune. By not documenting it and just holding onto it for me it seems he saved me a big headache.

I've travelled to about 70 countries including the US, Mexico and Canada as well as Iran (while they were at war with Iraq) and Burma in '83. As a generalisation, people are nice, people in power less so.
That has been my experience in a lot of places including Haiti, I mention Haiti because its probably the poorest country I've visited. Beautiful people and culture, they just have a corrupt government.

Glad to hear everything turned out well. I'm going down there in June so now I'm nervous... "but I'm a paying passenger"... lol.

Congrats on getting it back! Honestly, that surprises me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj