Premiere Editing Lags

Reaction score
The footage that I'm loading from my new Phantom 4 Pro is lagging a lot when editing and I can't figure out why.

The computer is a mid 2015 iMac with 24 gig of RAM, a 3.2 GHz Core i5 and a Radeon R video card. I'm not even talking about special effects creation. This is new footage and I'm just bringing it in for shot selection. Editing in Premiere Pro CC.

The footage is 4k H264.

I'd think this is plenty of power for at lease basic smooth assembly. Can anyone shed some light on what's happening here?

Thanks!

The footage that I'm loading from my new Phantom 4 Pro is lagging a lot when editing and I can't figure out why.

The computer is a mid 2015 iMac with 24 gig of RAM, a 3.2 GHz Core i5 and a Radeon R video card. I'm not even talking about special effects creation. This is new footage and I'm just bringing it in for shot selection. Editing in Premiere Pro CC.

The footage is 4k H264.

I'd think this is plenty of power for at lease basic smooth assembly. Can anyone shed some light on what's happening here?

Thanks!
4K is too much heavy lifting for most systems. There a work flow out there known as proxy editing which creates smaller files to work with and then assembles everything using the original files. Never tried it. I have had good luck editing 4K in Vegas Pro but rarely use it. I often mix with my DSLR which is 1080.

I have an almost identical iMac setup as you, same processor, same video card, but with only 16GB of RAM and I have had no problem processing 4K video. One difference, I am using iMovie, pretty basic, but perhaps less demanding on processing power?

Adobe products do not work well with AMD video cards

I'm trying a new 27" iMac with a 4.2GHz I7 Processor, 32 meg of RAM, and a Radeon Pro 850 Video Card and it's still lagging. I've also tried recording using both h264 and h265 compression.

Still can't figure out why this is happening :tired:

I'm trying a new 27" iMac with a 4.2GHz I7 Processor, 32 meg of RAM, and a Radeon Pro 850 Video Card and it's still lagging. I've also tried recording using both h264 and h265 compression.

Still can't figure out why this is happening :tired:
There should be a setting in Premiere that adjusts your preview quality.

What happens when you try playing the file without the software using a basic media player?

It happens even when I set the preview quality to 1/2 or 1/4. It's fine using using a basic media player like Quicktime. I'm sure it's a Premiere thing.

4K is not the issue. It's the type of 4K and even the flavour of h.264.

The P4 pro churns out footage that is incredibly difficult to edit even on a modern powerful system.

The best way is to use a proxy or transcode it .

We have zero issues with GH5 4K editing at 100mbps.

Dropping the quality down will only help a little as the issue is decompressing the footage which is CPU Intensive. And you've still got to decompress whether your output is 1/2 or full etc.

4K is not the issue. It's the type of 4K and even the flavour of h.264.

The P4 pro churns out footage that is incredibly difficult to edit even on a modern powerful system.

The best way is to use a proxy or transcode it .

We have zero issues with GH5 4K editing at 100mbps.
I edit 4K on my PC with zero difficulty. And it's not even a "gamer" PC.

The footage is 4k H264.

Thanks!
Lowering the preview quality is one step you can take. Also try moving some of the files to an SSD external drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers