Preloading map in DJI Pilot app?

Reaction score
My tablet does not have a cell phone functionality. To have a "data service" I usually turn on the "share network" function on my cell phone and hook up the tablet wia WiFi and thus get access to the internet.

Now, as I've understood it it's recommended to turn off WiFi on on the tablet because it can interfer with the 2.4GHz used by Lightbridge.

So my question is this: Is it possible to preload the map data for, say, a radius of 10 km i each direction from the take off position in the DJI Pilot app?

You can do it at home on wifi too but I notice it will forget the maps after a while especially if you reboot rather than sleep the tablet.
In practice the wifi being turned on doesn't seem to make any difference, but you won't need it anyway.

Thanks for the info :)

But I still need WiFi if I do not cache the maps, won't I?

And how do I cache the maps, BTW?

Thanks for the info :)

But I still need WiFi if I do not cache the maps, won't I?

And how do I cache the maps, BTW?
"Google Maps" will let you save a cached map for 30 days. This works for me.

"Google Maps" will let you save a cached map for 30 days. This works for me.

Thanks.

So will cacheing Google maps work for iOS also? Do I have to install an google maps app? I am an Android guy myself (and know little about iOS), but I'm considering using an iPad Mini for fpv purposes.

Thanks.

So will cacheing Google maps work for iOS also? Do I have to install an google maps app? I am an Android guy myself (and know little about iOS), but I'm considering using an iPad Mini for fpv purposes.
I use the Nvidia Shield, Android of course. Google Maps was pre-installed.

iOS app uses Apple maps. To cache it just go into the pilot app and pan around the map in the area you will be flying in. It will save all of the map images in the cache. Make sure you zoom in if you want higher detail too.

Reactions: RuneW
OK, thanks guys! I'll just mess around in the DJI Pilot app map preflight then.

Maybe even I'll make it a part of the preflight check list and then turn if WiFi before I actually start to fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.