Precision Landing?

Reaction score
Precision Landing?
When precision landing, and RTH advanced settings are on, why do I receive the message "Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled when landing?" The P4P lands perfectly but the message seems to conflict with the actual settings which clearly state obstacle avoidance is enabled.
a479e9bc65ae7d22a92f52973b5c39d6.jpg
82fc496697e5871a20c480ff03ed2f5d.jpg

I'm not sure why DJI decided to disable obstacle avoidance during precision landings. One thing I can tell you is that the downward sensors are not able to avoid obstacles. So, when auto landing, your Phantom will crash if any obstacles come between it and the ground.

I think the reason they turn it off is when OA sees something too close, it stops. If you took off near something like a building, it may see a building 10' away, get confused and stop the landing descent. It's pretty save to assume the take off area is clear of objects, going straight up. So I would presume the OA is turned off when it's starts the decent from your RTH height. I would assume the app is telling you it's turning off FYI, in case you might wonder if a nearby structure might interfere with the OA navigation during landing. That's my best guess why this happens.

My P4 will stop a few feet from the ground if it senses something in the way or an uneven surface. Works pretty slick.

My p4p does the same thing. But, just received a message to calibrate the vision sensors with DJI Assistant. So, I did, and calibration went fine. So, flew a short flight to 300’ and hit RTH. Before I calibrated the vision sensors, the drone returned to within inches of where it took off. This time, it did not. Started descending not even close to the home point so I canceled RTH. Tried it again, and the same thing happened. Very strange since vision sensors have nothing to do with RTH set point.

One thing I learned early on when my P4 firmware enabled precision landing. Was to make sure that the VPS has a single high contrast takeoff and landing point. If cameras see another close by high visibility target I think on landing it can get confused.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl