Precision landing - not so much anymore

Reaction score
I'm not sure but I suspect something has changed in Dji GO4 as far as precision landing.
I have three locations I use all the time and all my aircraft have been able to land pretty much with 2 feet easily. Many time dead on where it took off from.
Lately however it seems none of my birds can hit the broad side of a barn landing. I have to be uber vigilant in 2 locations because of trees nearby. Seems like every time lately it's come down over 20 feet from where it took off. Got plenty of satellites, nice landing pad for a visual target, bright sunshiny day. What the heck? I for sure have become cautious using RTH with precision takeoff as I can't trust it anymore.
Anyone else seen this? Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic and Spark - they all have this issue.

I'm not sure but I suspect something has changed in Dji GO4 as far as precision landing.
I have three locations I use all the time and all my aircraft have been able to land pretty much with 2 feet easily. Many time dead on where it took off from.
Lately however it seems none of my birds can hit the broad side of a barn landing. I have to be uber vigilant in 2 locations because of trees nearby. Seems like every time lately it's come down over 20 feet from where it took off. Got plenty of satellites, nice landing pad for a visual target, bright sunshiny day. What the heck? I for sure have become cautious using RTH with precision takeoff as I can't trust it anymore.
Anyone else seen this? Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic and Spark - they all have this issue.

Have you been mixing the firmwares up or modding it in anyway, i know on the Mavic that if you drop to a lower firmware and then use a mixed one to upgrade it throws the precision landing out

Are you sure you are using the precision landing feature?
Unless you specifically enable the precision landing feature and let the Phantom photograph the launch point, you will only be getting the landing point accuracy that consumer GPS allows.
That's variable and is usually within 10 feet but can sometimes be more.
As the precision landing feature uses optical technology to recognise the launch point, it may have trouble with featureless locations like grassy areas.
It needs a recognisable pattern or texture as well as sufficient lighting to work properly.

The Precision landing feature may also be disabled following a firmware update and need to be enabled again.

Are you sure you are using the precision landing feature?
Unless you specifically enable the precision landing feature and let the Phantom photograph the launch point, you will only be getting the landing point accuracy that consumer GPS allows.
Absolutely - lil checkbox every time. Wait until it climbs and gets the picture - then take off.
As I said I take off from these locations a lot - not an unknown quantity and I also use a landing pad for the visual differentiation.

Have you been mixing the firmwares up or modding it in anyway, i know on the Mavic that if you drop to a lower firmware and then use a mixed one to upgrade it throws the precision landing out
No. All firmwares up to date and Dji GO4 is up to date on both iPhone and iPad Mini 4
Also - no warnings, ni IMU, no compass warnings - heck I even checked the Kp Index...

I was used about my MP landing at 2 inches precision landing and I have to admit that I am not impressed at all with my P4P pro V2 like you said I am each time far away my landing pad.
I also check my VPS and all the GPS and compass statf evreything looks good but my bird still landing far away and I have to really take care with RTH like you said!

Make a new calibration yesterday with DJI Assistant 2 , make 3 tries this morning , 2 with Land pad went really well few centimeters and the last one I start from the center yellow line on the parking and my P4P land at about 2 meters from the line

GPS is not meant to work better than +/- four metres at best. If it does any better you are in a good configeration for sattelites, with no structures nearby that can cause multipath reflections. Even a seperate gps that uses differential or is WAAS enabled will not get better than +/- 2 meters.
You will find its repetative performance is better than these numbers, until one sattelite in the configeration drops out and a new one comes in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers