Practice for my first RC

Reaction score
Hi
I'm waiting for my delivery of Vision. I just want it for the aerial photography, and I've never flew an aircraft before.
Afraid not to crash the $1k toy, I have bought a small quadcopter for practice, which I proceeded to crash into everything in sight. Ended up with lots of cuts on my arms and legs, and crushed morale. I've spent a couple of hours trying to calibrate it, I think I got the hold of it, but by now, I'm not sure how much of it flying crazy is because of my sucking, or the repeated crashing and propeller damage.
Disappointed, I have bought a USB TX for a simulator, and seems to be working with HELI-X.
I've been trying to fly the quad available in the demo, but I have a hard time configuring it. I have managed to set throttle to work like the Mode 2 Vision TX, but I'm experiencing weird stuff like engine shutdown midflight, and stuff like that. Not sure what to set Rudder and Cyclic Nick to.
If anybody could help me out here a bit, I'd appreciate it.

Also, please somebody tell me that flying the Vision is not going to be as hard!

The Vision uses GPS stabilisation. If you operate her outdoors, with full satellite lock (flashing green LEDs) then once you take off, if you let go of everything she will hover on station, at the height you were, until you do something else. Just take it slow and easy and practice one control input at a time. DJI have just started to publish some training videos for the Vision (unboxing is only out as I type) but if you watch the DJI videos for the original Phantom then you will get some good basics. Let the "brain" hold it in a hover whilst you play with moving left, right, yaw, etc. And pick a calm day!

Alternatively (or additionally, they are great fun on bad weather days like I've got here today!) buy a cheap little micro quad like a Hubsan X4 - if you can get one of those to hover and move around your living room without bouncing off the walls (which should only take a few flights) then by comparison you'll find the Vision virtually flies itself - which it sort of does!

Its not hard!

I own a phantom v1 (not vision) I knew how hard the cheap helis were to control and the guy at the shop I was at informed me the phantom wasn't like that at all. so a few days later I got one and was amazed how easy it is to fly, but its always good to know your limits on your own skills, and there's no such thing as knowing too much in this hobby, so be sure to research any questions you might have, most likely some one has asked it, and the answer is somewhere below it :)

Now charge that battery, learn the CSC....

And go fly!

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts guys!
In the meantime, I got the battery, and got it charged, but no time to fly it tonight.

Is it normal for the camera servo to be on and running as soon as I power on the Phantom? The high pitch noise is a bit concerning. I can see the camera moving when the Phantom is not balanced, and I'm assuming the noise is coming from the servo.
I didn't manage to calibrate the compass indoors (even thought the calibration doesn't fail, it just goes back to intermittent yellow), but I'm assuming that will be sorted out outdoors.

Thanks for helping out a noobie!

Yes, the camera will make noise from both its internal cooling fan and the gimbal servo - normal but annoying. Definitely best to calibrate in a nice, open space. It took me two or three goes to get the speed right when flipping that switch up and down to get it into calibration mode, but once I got it and did the circle dance outdoors it calibrated straight away. Take it all nice and slow, but enjoy it too!

Pull_Up said:
Yes, the camera will make noise from both its internal cooling fan and the gimbal servo - normal but annoying. Definitely best to calibrate in a nice, open space. It took me two or three goes to get the speed right when flipping that switch up and down to get it into calibration mode, but once I got it and did the circle dance outdoors it calibrated straight away. Take it all nice and slow, but enjoy it too!

Thanks!
Just thought that it doesn't make much sense to waste battery on servo while the propellers are not running. It does for the camera cooling fan though.

I got the timing on the flipping right, but I guess there's just too much steel in my building. Probably the 25 wireless networks that I get in my apartment don't help much either.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl