Power line encounter

Curious: what would happen if a drone hit a live power line? I assume the drone would be toast, but would the power be impacted?

Even the smallest power lines are at least 1/2" (12.7mm) in diameter and the high tension power lines are more like 2.5" (63.5m) in diameter so a 1.5 pound drone or even the much larger Inspire drones wouldn't stand a chance against them. As to the wires ... chances are the only damage that might happen would be to nick the jacket on the wires that have coatings. It would take a pretty massive drone travelling at very high speed to damage even the smallest power lines.

Brian

Reactions: Primpwatcher
Curious: what would happen if a drone hit a live power line? I assume the drone would be toast, but would the power be impacted?
The drone would crash the same as if it hit any other kind of wire. Electricity flows in a circuit between high and low potential. Since it would be in flight and not electrically grounded the electric power in the lines would have no effect on the drone. Well, maybe a very slight capacitive effect, but it would be trivial. The mechanical effect of striking an object with a drone prop would bring the drone down pronto. And it would have zero effect on the power line.

Good job going through the lines.
You can trust it was by the shear grace of God Almighty Himself that I made it through there. ;) I never saw the wires on my phone screen...It wasn't until AFTER I saw the video I decided to go to Vegas. ;)

Well I didn't hit a power line, but I did hit my 5,000V horse fence. Luckily, it was with the Spark and not the Phantom. I was in the midst of bringing the drone down when an unexpected gust of wind pushed it down and backwards (man, the wind really takes the Spark) - right into the top cable on the fence. It flopped over like a mosquito hitting a zapper, but after a reboot all systems were go. Lesson learned (to stay far, far away from any type of power lines).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT