Power line encounter

Reaction score
Just want to show everyone how easy it is to fly into power lines, or almost fly into them. The sun was very bright, so I was using a filter on the camera. Not sure if it was the sun, the filter, or where I was standing, but I did not see the lower power lines. I was clear of the higher ones. I didn't notice the lower power lines until I got home and played back the video. The drone gods must have been looking out for me. I always scout the area I fly in and I didn't see anything that could be in the way. Also, there was never any interference from the power lines. Not sure why. The black ones were easy to see, but the lighter ones, obviously were not. The lines appear right after I clear the tree line.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As you can see from the video, the ones at the bottom appeared out of no where. Kinda scary. I stopped only because of the darker lines I saw, not the lighter ones. Very scary.

Reactions: ChipperRay
...the ones at the bottom appeared out of no where.
Reminds me of a kid who missed a sharp curve near our house and ended up in a field. I heard him on the phone talking to his dad. “I WAS paying attention! This curve just came out of nowhere!”

BTW, not saying YOU weren’t paying attention, it just reminded me of that story. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Primpwatcher
Just want to show everyone how easy it is to fly into power lines, or almost fly into them. The sun was very bright, so I was using a filter on the camera. Not sure if it was the sun, the filter, or where I was standing, but I did not see the lower power lines. I was clear of the higher ones. I didn't notice the lower power lines until I got home and played back the video. The drone gods must have been looking out for me. I always scout the area I fly in and I didn't see anything that could be in the way. Also, there was never any interference from the power lines. Not sure why. The black ones were easy to see, but the lighter ones, obviously were not. The lines appear right after I clear the tree line.

I see your encounter and raise you mine! Check this about 1:20.

Brian

Wow. Gotta love that propeller being shaved off.

Yes, there was more than one close call during that short flight. The first one with the wire was REAL close, the second one with a wire was not nearly as close, and the last one with the tree, well that was too close! That was the closest I've come to losing my bird and being an Inspire 1 Pro the cost would likely have been more than the total cost of a P4P.

Brian

Brian
I thought the P4P had sideways obstacle avoidance?

I also find it weird that it was loosing altitude like that. I wonder if that is a programed feature.

Brian
That is crazy. It seems like it was the same kind of wires. The black ones are easy to see, but those are not. I do not want to think about what would have happened had we hit those wires. I imagine it wouldn't be good.

A near miss with an unseen power line was one of my most humbling flights. I was showing off my P3 when I was over at some friends and didn't bother to look beyond the tall trees in their backyard. If I would have I would have seen a large power line just beyond. It was by shear luck that I flew right by. Unfortunately I didn't have the camera recording at the time so I can't throw my name into the power line battle.

Curious: what would happen if a drone hit a live power line? I assume the drone would be toast, but would the power be impacted?

Fast forward to 1:55...also again near the end...(NOT my P3S, this was using my XSP)

Agreed, power lines and tree that have lost their leaves are my biggest fears. I hope to never be able to post a winning video here!

Fast forward to 1:55...also again near the end...(NOT my P3S, this was using my XSP)

That was quite the mine field you were flying in -- frickin wires everywhere...

I've learned to look for the poles and towers that support the wires and avoid, as best I can, going anywhere near them. If I do have to cross them I do so above or below them.

Here's a video from the famous Cajon Pass and it has several groups of high tension power lines that were in my way. I went below one set but stayed clear of the second set.

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.