Power failure during hover

@ Kirby Johnson

I see your point, batteries don't fall out of drills etc - the latches are more robust than the P4 series seems to be!

But when you snap a P3 battery in, you know it's there. It's not coming out or even loosening enough to become disconnected... makes me wonder why they departed from that design.

And I still want to add a p4p when I can justify the expense (to my wife lol), but for now this p3p is doing fine, no worries.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
@ Kirby Johnson

I see your point, batteries don't fall out of drills etc - the latches are more robust than the P4 series seems to be!

But when you snap a P3 battery in, you know it's there. It's not coming out or even loosening enough to become disconnected... makes me wonder why they departed from that design.

And I still want to add a p4p when I can justify the expense (to my wife lol), but for now this p3p is doing fine, no worries.
I have a lowly little ole P3A and have weathered bombardments from every-one from DJI on down to upgrade software, firmware, the quad itself, etc. blah blah blah but I learned looong ago as an engineer, if it aint broke don't fix it. Mine ONLY has a camera which until a few years ago would have been touted as suitable for viewing on a big screen TV, no collision avoidance, (I suppose that is my job?) and does not leave a contrail, but it is re-lie-able. Battery stays put, and it is a "no surprises" toy.

All that being said, I am curious what happened to the original poster who had the Phantom shut off then reactivate in midflight. I was/am really curious how that happened or appeared to happen. Oh well. P3s don't do that :):cool:

I have a lowly little ole P3A and have weathered bombardments from every-one from DJI on down to upgrade software, firmware, the quad itself, etc. blah blah blah but I learned looong ago as an engineer, if it aint broke don't fix it
Here Here my friend..............
Bravo!.gif

LOL... I've had my Ryobi drill go dead on me while I was up a ladder, holding a sheet of plywood against a wall, ready to put in the first screw, after struggling to get that plywood up and in place!

I've also had a new Ryobi battery not take a charge after 3 charge cycles. I think I worked it too hard by using the drill to screw in lag bolts.

Drone batteries are under constant struggle. Just imagine that Ryobi drill running a 1/2" masonry bit into concrete for 30 minutes without stopping. It's really a 'swim or drown' situation--there's no letup until it lands.

Ryobi lol, nothing comes close to Hilti

Reactions: Basspig
Thanks for making that distinction. I've been checking my standard capacity batteries thinking there's gonna be a problem with them any day now. Guess I can finally get some sleep tonite.
Also, I'm keeping one of my 5870's (the less-puffy one), just to recharge my Remote (with the DJI adapter cable). I'll never put it in the bird, or handle/utilize it unattended.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
I just got my P4A back from DJI, then had to send it back. I bought the AC used with just a few flights, it came with DJI Care Refresh. During a flight over the lake, I began getting intermittent 0% battery warnings, luckily got it back over land before total battery failure and it fell 160' to the ground. On recovery, the battery wouldn't budge out of the AC. I had to dismantle it and pry the fused battery away from the connector. My findings and opinion: DJI needed some space to tuck everything up snug in the body of the P4. A big mistake was made when they decided to combine the power supply bus with the battery connection. It's like having individual connections to the battery for every fuse you have in your car. Additionally, after fully inserting the battery, it still has motion in the battery bay. In fact, the battery is actually hanging on the connector. G-forces and vibration will create a bad connection. Remember PC monitor and printer connectors from yor' that had to be screwed in tight? The P4 battery connection type cannot tolerate any motion or it will quickly fail. The temperature increases from normal battery function has nothing to do with this problem. I've been monitoring the connection with an infrared thermometer after each flight. The connection is the hottest part of the battery. If the connection is emanating heat, it's a bad connection that won't get better, only worse. Because I didn't have original proof of purchase, this was replaced by DJI Care Refresh. I got the replacement back and it immediately has issues with the gimbal going limp and some chaotic fits. I believe this is related to the power supply. They received it today, I haven't heard how they want to proceed. This is a big, dangerous design flaw that I think DJI is trying to crawl away from (mavics) and will rely on their warranty/replacement service to keep the screaming down. Don't get me wrong, I'm not vilifying DJI, as a hobbyist, I'm willing to ride out some design issues. I'm surprised this lousy engineering got mixed in with such great engineering of the rest of the bird. I'm also just a little miffed that the DJI forum deleted my similar post.

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
Wow I basically just finished the same thing but without the restart! I hope that doesn’t happen too often, I have a big love for Amazon after their no problem replacement, thank you Amazon!

As a starting point, upload your .txt flight log to the link below. Instructions are in the link. After you upload, place a link back here to that and we can have a look to see what a cause may have been. You may have to upload the aircraft .dat file as well, but start here first.

DJI Flight Log Viewer
I've been out of town, and just accessed the aircraft .txt flight log, but my PC doesn't recognize the link you supplied. It's too large to attach here. I'll access the .txt file and see if I have better luck.

As I mentioned, a few days after the fall and replacement of gimbal, as I was inserting a battery in the P4P drone, it immediately fired up. In the dozen or so battery loading times since then, it happened again, with a different DJI battery. As the battery "clicks" into place, the drone has immediately started up, twice now. I find that odd, and a bit disconcerting...thoughts?

It's too large to attach here. I'll access the .txt file and see if I have better luck.
You upload the .txt file to the link....not directly here. This will convert the file to a readable one. Once the upload is done , share the link to the uploaded file back here. Follow the instructions that are there. I have yet to see a PC that does not recognize the link.

As a starting point, upload your .txt flight log to the link below. Instructions are in the link. After you upload, place a link back here to that and we can have a look to see what a cause may have been. You may have to upload the aircraft .dat file as well, but start here first.

DJI Flight Log Viewer
I upload the flight data using browse, confirm that I am not a robot, and select upload log. The issue is that neither of my two PC's will not connect when I attempt to "upload log", I get the lonely page "This site cannot connect, The connection was reset"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl