Potentially serious problem with Phantom 3 and iPad

Try turning on hardware acceleration.

It was already on. I turned it off and no difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does it have this issue when its just, say sitting idle connected in the house or only when up in the air flying it?

Does it have this issue when its just, say sitting idle connected in the house or only when up in the air flying it?

I already addressed this in original post. Both.

I already addressed this in original post. Both.

Shouldn't you be out flying?!?!
I had to laugh - I'm sure Leekiya is a really nice guy but with all his stressing and worrying about CE and FCC range as well as all the horror stories he finds and laps up and gets more and more nervous I get the impression that he'll never fly it out of sight anyway - nowhere near it's maximum range!
Leekiya I know you'll see this and I'm not being cruel, but.... just fly the thing already!!!

I had to laugh - I'm sure Leekiya is a really nice guy but with all his stressing and worrying about CE and FCC range as well as all the horror stories he finds and laps up and gets more and more nervous I get the impression that he'll never fly it out of sight anyway - nowhere near it's maximum range!
Leekiya I know you'll see this and I'm not being cruel, but.... just fly the thing already!!!

LOL, i take that humour on the chin, and yes a should just chill out i admit.

Not on the long flights tho, my parents live out in the country side with miles and miles of private land which i regularly fly long distance over now with my old bird when we go to stay with them. Hence why i was very keen to know about the horrible FCC/CE flight distance subject, which to be honest is the main reason i purchased the new P3.

And yeh im going to fly the thing, my son is in bed and im about to open this new bird up. :)

Reactions: cmyk22
Did you try deleting and reinstalling the application on the iPad? Are you using the most recent firmware on the iPad? Have you tried a different cable? Can you try another iPad by chance?

Hate to report this but I had the same experience as OP today except on an iPhone 6 Plus. Worked flawlessly for first 8-10 minutes, then started dropping frames, pixelating, and ultimately losing video feed completely for a few split seconds. Flying in closer didn't help (only a few hundred feet out to begin with). Airplane mode may no difference. Hardware acceleration on/off made no difference.

Battery is charging now but if it happens again in a different flight area, I'll be back to Android until DJI or someone else here can pinpoint the issue.

BTW, 12 full flights into the P3P (11 on Android, 1 on iOS) and still blown away by the detail in 4K capture...

Last edited:
Seems maybe we might need an update to the IOS App pretty soon, had 2 PM's tonight with people having similar problems with IOS. Any App problems will get ironed out pretty soon i guess.

I'm having the same issue. So far I've only been able to fly once with my iPad mini 3 and the poor video quality/latency issues came only after the battery reached about 23% and the low battery warning started. Controlling the drone remained spot on, only the video suffered from issues. When I have time I'll fly again and see if this only happens during low battery warnings. I will post my results.

I'm having the same issue. So far I've only been able to fly once with my iPad mini 3 and the poor video quality/latency issues came only after the battery reached about 23% and the low battery warning started. Controlling the drone remained spot on, only the video suffered from issues. When I have time I'll fly again and see if this only happens during low battery warnings. I will post my results.
My theory is the apple devices are overheating. These symptoms are characteristic of overloaded GPU and if they corrolate with long flight times it makes even more sense.

Reactions: Michael Olsen
My theory is the apple devices are overheating. These symptoms are characteristic of overloaded GPU and if they corrolate with long flight times it makes even more sense.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I used my Samsung Galaxy S3 before the iOS app dropped and it initial did the same thing until I took it out of its case. Once it took it out of its case I noticed it was REALLY hot. After that I flew without the case on my phone and no issues whatsoever and it didn't get nearly as warm as it did. I have a case on my iPad Mini 3 and will try flying without the case on to see if that helps as well.

Even when I flew my P2 with the iPad I always turned off background refresh FOR ALL apps so as not to compete for bandwidth. Go to Sttings>General>Background Refresh and turn off the top slider for Background refresh, this will prevent the iPad from trying to update or refresh any apps while you are flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex Kiritsis
UPDATE: I popped my SIM card out of my iPad (Spring FreedomPop) and all seems to be well again and smooth as butter. That's the only change I made and it now works. Will need to experiment more to see why this is.

Now that I think of it, though, it is true that I also took it out of the case for the first time also. Maybe it IS an overheating issue.

UPDATE: I popped my SIM card out of my iPad (Spring FreedomPop) and all seems to be well again and smooth as butter. That's the only change I made and it now works. Will need to experiment more to see why this is.

I was already in airplane mode and don't think it would've helped me but glad to hear it worked for you. Keep us posted.

That's what I'm thinking. Like I said I had the same issue on my Galaxy S3 and taking out of the case let it breath more. No more overheating ... no more lag.

Flew again tonight without iPad case and no problems at all. :)

Reactions: rmfa
Flew again tonight without iPad case and no problems at all. :)

This is a good thing! Remove your case and you should be good to go. I know my iPad Air gets pretty hot when playing games. A case would only make it like being in a blanket. This makes sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20