possible esc issue

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently had a slight crash with my p2v+. Everything looked to be in good working order except one broken prop. No big deal. After replacing the prop i noticed that the rear right esc (thats the arm i hit when i crashed) no longer lit up green at all. I took it all apart and wiggled some stuff around and it worked fone for a week or 2. Yesterday while flying i noticed it would not light green again and as i was flying it back to land, it took a bit of a small spill. Looked like one of the motors may have stoped. Im pretty sure this is a bad esc but i have something happening now that no one else that i can find on the web has seen. When i turn on the phantom, the rear left still wont blink green. When i turn on compass calibration, the rear left lights up solid yellow like its supposed to and the rear right lights up solid red. Does anyone know what this means? The motor still works and the p2v+ still flys but i am hesitant to take it more than a few inchs off the ground untill i get this fixed. Thanks for any help.

Hi everyone. I recently had a slight crash with my p2v+. Everything looked to be in good working order except one broken prop. No big deal. After replacing the prop i noticed that the rear right esc (thats the arm i hit when i crashed) no longer lit up green at all. I took it all apart and wiggled some stuff around and it worked fone for a week or 2. Yesterday while flying i noticed it would not light green again and as i was flying it back to land, it took a bit of a small spill. Looked like one of the motors may have stoped. Im pretty sure this is a bad esc but i have something happening now that no one else that i can find on the web has seen. When i turn on the phantom, the rear left still wont blink green. When i turn on compass calibration, the rear left lights up solid yellow like its supposed to and the rear right lights up solid red. Does anyone know what this means? The motor still works and the p2v+ still flys but i am hesitant to take it more than a few inchs off the ground untill i get this fixed. Thanks for any help.

Mike,

The ESC's contains 3 bi-color red/green LEDs. Combined they create the yellow.
Each color is driven by it's own transistor via U1.

Are you sure about this: "When I turn on the phantom, the rear left still wont blink green."

Did you mean rear right?

If so, something has become damaged or intermittent with the Green array on the right rear ESC.

This would explain no Green or Yellow.

Since you were able to get it to work you most likely have a intermittent connection or PCB trace, etc.

Last edited:
Mike,

The ESC's contains 3 bi-color red/green LEDs. Combined they create the yellow.
Each color is driven by it's own transistor via U1.

Are you sure about this: "When I turn on the phantom, the rear left still wont blink green."

Did you mean rear right?

If so, something has become damaged or intermittent with the Green array on the right rear ESC.

This would explain no Green or Yellow.

Since you were able to get it to work you most likely have a intermittent connection or PCB trace, etc.

I did mean the right. Im sorry but you will have to help me out as i new to some of the lingo but what is PCB trace

I did mean the right. Im sorry but you will have to help me out as i new to some of the lingo but what is PCB trace

Hey Mike,

It's a runner or the metal conductive material which electrically connects the individual components on the Printed Circuit Board.

If you could be sure there's no other damage which could lead to a problem such as a motor stopping in flight I'd say there's no need to worry as you still have the left rear LEDs operating properly and both rears always display the same colors at the same time.

But one never knows what might be the extent of damage so it is a risk to continue to fly with it

Hey Mike,

It's a runner or the metal conductive material which electrically connects the individual components on the Printed Circuit Board.

If you could be sure there's no other damage which could lead to a problem such as a motor stopping in flight I'd say there's no need to worry as you still have the left rear LEDs operating properly and both rears always display the same colors at the same time.

But one never knows what might be the extent of damage so it is a risk to continue to fly with it

Ok thank you. As i had the second slight mishap with it pretty much falling to its doom for no reason that i could see other than the led died im going to assume that the esc is bad and just go ahead and replace it. Thanks again for the help

Ok thank you. As i had the second slight mishap with it pretty much falling to its doom for no reason that i could see other than the led died im going to assume that the esc is bad and just go ahead and replace it. Thanks again for the help

Smart move. If you can't solder you'll need the help of someone who can.

Smart move. If you can't solder you'll need the help of someone who can.
I can and i actually already purchased a new shell, 2 esc's and 1 each of a cw and ccw motor when i purchased the p2v+ just for a situation like this. Im also very excited to get my hands on a phantom 3 in the near future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair