Portions of P3A images are blurry

Reaction score
I find that my still images are blurry (less sharp) in sections on the right side . This happens whether I shoot JPGs or raw. My P3A is no longer under warranty. I am wondering if its worth sending the drone back to DJI for repair or not. I have seen another thread suggesting that the sensor and lens can be realigned to improve focus but am not sure if this is my problem, because its only a portion of the image on the right that is out of focus. Any suggestions on how to proceed to get this fixed?

I have uploaded an image. Take a look at the windows on the right and left side of the image. Right side is not nearly as sharp as the left.

My thanks for your thoughts and comments.

Attachments

• DJI_0304.JPG
    DJI_0304.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 509
Looks ok to me... I can see what you mean - what was the shutter speed on this shot - it could be a vibe blurr?

Thanks for looking. The shutter speed was 1/1100, aperture of f/2.8 and ISO 100. The image I posted is just one example. On any image that has fine detail (buildings, stadiums, parking lots) the right side is much less sharp than the left. Its particularly evident when you look at the image at 100% scale, which prevents me from producing acceptable prints in any size above 5x7. Here's another example - take a look if you don't mind at the right side of the building and the triangular shaped item just in front on the right side of the image in front of the building.

Attachments

• DJI_0904.JPG
    DJI_0904.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 492
I appear to be having the same issue except mine is blurry on the left side instead. The right side is clear and sufficient. Thread here. Did you end up correcting this issue and if so, how?

I put a guide up for others to fix this issue here. Give it a try. :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've checked that out, great detail! My unit is still under warranty (less than 2 months old) so I'm inclined to go through DJI support for a potential repair as I believe you mention in the article, this may invalidate the warranty. If I attempted the repair, which seems pretty straight forward, and damaged something or didn't improve the issue, I wouldn't want to void the warranty because of my attempt.

It will only invalidate it if you tell them or knacker up the screws. There's nothing that will show you opened the back up. From what i hear its hit and miss with the warranty on this issue. Sometimes they send you a refurbished aircraft but the same issue might be there. Good luck whichever route you take.

Thanks for looking. The shutter speed was 1/1100, aperture of f/2.8 and ISO 100. The image I posted is just one example. On any image that has fine detail (buildings, stadiums, parking lots) the right side is much less sharp than the left. Its particularly evident when you look at the image at 100% scale, which prevents me from producing acceptable prints in any size above 5x7. Here's another example - take a look if you don't mind at the right side of the building and the triangular shaped item just in front on the right side of the image in front of the building.

Here's your photo after sharpening it in Photoshop.

Your photo
DJI_0304.JPG

Photoshop
DJI_0304_002.jpg

Keep in mind these are not the greatest cameras and editing software does help.

I'm chasing the same thing with my P3A. I have made one attempt using the guide in this thread and seem to have made some improvement but after looking at this shot for instance I think there is some room for improvement (maybe). This was cleaned up in LR btw. I'm not thrilled with some of the sharpness/focus, maybe I can improve...or maybe this is the best I can do with this camera. This was taken at 1/60, f2.8 and ISO 100.

Attachments

• DJI_0121-2.jpg
    DJI_0121-2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 372
Here's your photo after sharpening it in Photoshop.

Your photoView attachment 76708

Photoshop
View attachment 76710

Keep in mind these are not the greatest cameras and editing software does help.

Even after the editing in Photoshop, the unfocused areas of the photo don't look great when viewed at full size (obviously reduced looks decent). I can't speak for the original poster of this thread but why I'm looking into this issue is I see others posting unedited pics from their P3S (not even Professional) and they look much clearer and nicer than mine from my new P3P. That bothers me and makes me unhappy with the performance of my camera, especially knowing it may be something that can be resolved by a sensor adjustment, etc.

I'm chasing the same thing with my P3A. I have made one attempt using the guide in this thread and seem to have made some improvement but after looking at this shot for instance I think there is some room for improvement (maybe). This was cleaned up in LR btw. I'm not thrilled with some of the sharpness/focus, maybe I can improve...or maybe this is the best I can do with this camera. This was taken at 1/60, f2.8 and ISO 100.

Given the height from which you took this photo what do you expect from the camera. It sure isn't going to get any better.

Given the height from which you took this photo what do you expect from the camera. It sure isn't going to get any better.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking for perfection LOL!!! The right side of the shot does look a little blurry compared to the left side. It's actually one of my favorite shots at the moment so I'm happy, just always looking for that extra tweak I guess.

Even after the editing in Photoshop, the unfocused areas of the photo don't look great when viewed at full size (obviously reduced looks decent). I can't speak for the original poster of this thread but why I'm looking into this issue is I see others posting unedited pics from their P3S (not even Professional) and they look much clearer and nicer than mine from my new P3P. That bothers me and makes me unhappy with the performance of my camera, especially knowing it may be something that can be resolved by a sensor adjustment, etc.

I wasn't about to spend any time on this photo as it wasn't mine. With the size of sensor these cameras have you are not going to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

I appear to be having the same issue except mine is blurry on the left side instead. The right side is clear and sufficient. Thread here. Did you end up correcting this issue and if so, how?

Yes, I returned my drone to DJI. It was a long and arduous process, and I will spare you the details, but they finally replaced the drone and camera entirely. The new camera was vastly better than the old one. I would advise you to be pro-active and to stay on top of DJI to get the results you want.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic