POLL CLOSED: Results of 107 Pass Rates?

(Anonymous) Did you pass the 107 Knowledge test at the FAA testing center?

• Yes, it was a breeze

Votes: 29 31.5%
  • Yes, but I was challenged

Votes: 54 58.7%
  • No, I need to study more

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • I failed it twice!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
This is not for the Online Pt 61 test but the one you pay to take at the FAA test center! Please wait until you actually take the test!

UPDATE 28OCT2016

Poll is closed and after 2 months of testing

58.7% Passed but felt it was challenging test
31.5% Breezed through the exam
9.8% failed

Congratulations, no one failed it twice!

This seems to be in the right spot with FAA pass rates. Commercial Pilot Written pass rate is 96% and the Instrument Written (I felt was most challenging of the bunch) is at 87%. (2014 List)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 12.46.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 12.46.02 PM.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon900
Reactions: Eddyfisher
I wonder how many people who do NOT pass are going to be admitting it? I know some will but at the same time I also know many will not. There is a lot of EGO in our industry and some of them are so big they can't take a public hit.

Hopefully we can all learn from this whole process and our industry can grow with it.

Haha... I'm taking it at 1:00 pm tomorrow. I'll tell you what my score will be in advance - a big fat zero. I'm not going to answer a single question.

Actually, but that time I should be 107 certificated anyway. I have an appointment with my DPE to get the temporary at 10:30 am.

Taking it at 10am tomorrow... I will post the results. Getting good scores on the practice exams, and passed the online course/exam for Part 61 pilots (even though I am not Part 61 rated).

I presume we get the results immediately?

You will get your results immediately. The testing center will give you a Knowledge Test Report with an embossed seal. You will need this to apply on IACRA. Don't lose it.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Technically it says for it to be "uploaded" - presumably to the FAA - but perhaps you get your results immediately?

I didn't read the article, but if they're saying 48 hours to get your test results they're clueless.

I wondered about the accuracy myself of the article with it being CNET and not a drone authority.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am a licensed private pilot with recent BFR. According to the website an instructor can sign you off for certificate. Does anyone know if this can be any CFI or does it have to be a specialized instructor?

I am a licensed private pilot with recent BFR. According to the website an instructor can sign you off for certificate. Does anyone know if this can be any CFI or does it have to be a specialized instructor?

Any CFI can but a CFI can not issue you a temporary certificate. Only a DPE or FSDO can do that.

Better to go to FSDO or pay a DPE unless you don't mind the wait for ypu hard copy to arrive from the FAA before you can fly.

Did you take the online course/Test yet?

Just finished and passed.

You get an embossed certificate saying you passed and they say it will take 24-48 hrs for results to be uploaded to FAA. However, you can proceed directly to iacra to apply.

For those wondering, I finished in 48 minutes.

Lots of sectional questions using the supplement. Knowing airspace and limits is a must. Study Metar. Study everything!

Last edited:
Finished and passed. The practice tests did NOT cover everything in the actual exam. I agree with jkrens, you need to know airspace classifications and stuff on the sectionals. I didn't have as many weather and load questions, but there was a lot of sectional-related stuff, and some trick questions. There was also one poorly written question that asked if you were operating at a particular airport (as shown on the sectional), what class airspace would you be in? Problem: It was Class D airspace with a floor at 700' (magenta shaded), and they didn't tell you what altitude you were operating at. By rule, I'm not over 400' (generally), so I'm not in the class D.. And since they said AT the airport and not OVER it, I presume I am at or near the surface... But I figured that they simply wanted to see if you would identify the sectional marking, and I was right. They did have class G as an option...

I just took the 107 test this morning and passed with a good score. [emoji3]
Bought my drone maybe 2 months ago probably 50-60 hours flying it (don't have log in front of me so that is plus or minus) and no aeronautical background besides flying delta. [emoji3]
Took no ground school classes.
I found the test to be pretty easy. A few tricky questions but really not that hard. Had to know sectionals and had more load and weather questions than I thought it would have.
I tend to dive into topics and go overboard studying everything about it and tend to learn things quickly.
I spent a lot of time studying a lot of the free material available online. Specifically:

Sarah Nillson site: Sarah Nilsson - UAG Test Prep - 1

Rupprecht Law 107 info Free Part 107 Test Study Guide For FAA Remote Pilot Airmen Certificate - Drone Law Attorney Services - Rupprecht Law, PA

The FAA aeronautical knowledge book http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/pilot_handbook.pdf

FAA chart users guide: FAA Aeronautical Chart User's Guide

FAA UAS study prep guide (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf)

I will use my license for my commercial real estate brokerage firm I own and probably side jobs for my clients for the fun of it and probably start another business venture doing that.
But overall, I found it to be an easy test. I probably studied a lot different stuff than I needed to and do think the uav classes would be helpful and edifying but I opted to try to free route first.
Cool thing is all of this has gotten me really interested in getting my private pilot's license so I think I am going to pursue that and continue the learning experience. [emoji322]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I agree here. I had a similar question that was trying to trick me. They were asking what altitude I should be flying in specific airspace on the sectional. 2 wrong answers were the floor of the specific NAS (I think it was outlying class C) and the correct was 400 Ft AGL. They want you to answer according to the 107 rule here.

I had that one too. There was also one or two that started by referring you to the sectional (flip, flip, flip) only to ask a question that doesn't require the sectional at all. LOL

If you are regularly passing the test at Drone Pilot Knowledge Test Prep, you should be 85-90% or so prepared for the exam. However, there are topics on the test that are NOT in this practice test!

What were the "Loads" questions? I know with private pilots there is the CG stuff, but on a drone what other than maximum weight to carry?

Do they use the sectional for your area (Downloadable sectionals are here: VFR Raster Charts ) or some other?

What were the "Loads" questions? I know with private pilots there is the CG stuff, but on a drone what other than maximum weight to carry?

Do they use the sectional for your area (Downloadable sectionals are here: VFR Raster Charts ) or some other?

I don't remember exactly, but it was CG positioning and its effect on winged flight. Not drones. Also, what position of flight would have the most change on load. Level turns, steady rate of climb, powered off stall were the choices.

Also, I earlier stated that you can apply on IACRA right away. You cannot. You can fill out your application but cannot submit that application until your results are uploaded. In the application, you search for your exam number. It won't let you submit until it finds it. (24-48hrs after exam)

Just finished and passed.

You get an embossed certificate saying you passed and they say it will take 24-48 hrs for results to be uploaded to FAA. However, you can proceed directly to iacra to apply.

For those wondering, I finished in 48 minutes.

Lots of sectional questions using the supplement. Knowing airspace and limits is a must. Only a few 107 questions on mine. METAR questions are much tougher than the samples. Learn and know TAF. Seemed to be a lot of weather and load questions as well.
My experience exactly! My test questions appear to have been very similar to those described by Jkrens. IMO, several of the questions covered the same material as almost every sample test that I took, but not one of them worded in the same way or asked for the same info. Be ready to use a sectional to figure out where/when you can fly and who you might need to contact if/when you do. Reading weather reports is a must.
Just tried to apply online, and IACRA couldn't find my test yet. Also, be careful - My name is listed on my Part 61 certificate with my full middle name, but my license (used by the test center for ID) only has my middle name which is how the test proctor entered it. Bet this is going to give me some heartburn trying to reconcile the 2!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20