Polarizer filters

What gimbal locks are you using with the polar pro? I have the clear square one and a 3D printed lock/cover combo orange one.

And am I understanding correctly that the vote is against the 3 pack polar pro?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: Noble 1
It must make a difference, if you turn the Polarizer filter (CP) in front of a computer screen you can definitely see the different filter effects. I was curious to know why it swivelled, now I know that I just have to figure out how to use it effectively when flying.
I will try the alignment suggestion.
I am shooting on a bright day with snow covered fields and clear blue skies.
Does any one have any suggestions or tips.

ND 16 when videoing.

What gimbal locks are you using with the polar pro? I have the clear square one and a 3D printed lock/cover combo orange one.

And am I understanding correctly that the vote is against the 3 pack polar pro?

I have that 3 pack and it is good however you will need a ND 16 also especially on bright days(sky) with bright ground(snow), sunlit water fall, etc.

EDIT to add..........I also use the Polar Pro over the filter cover/gimbal lock on the P3P.

Reactions: Noble 1
This is really helpful. I have a follow on question if you've adjusted to the sky from one position and fly around (i.e. I'm doing a zip line shot) is it going to look weird if it's not constantly adjusted?

This is really helpful. I have a follow on question if you've adjusted to the sky from one position and fly around (i.e. I'm doing a zip line shot) is it going to look weird if it's not constantly adjusted?

It will change based on DIRECTION not POSITION. Light in the sky comes from one source, the sun. It scatters through the air molecules, dust, water vapor,etc. Due to the scattering, a polarizer is more effective in one direction than another. It does not mean its ineffective, it just means its more effective.

If your camera angle changes relative to the sun during the zipline move, yes the effect of the polarizer will change. Since you can't go up and twist it by hand, your only choice is to choose the mid point. At the two ends of the angle arc, the polarizer won't be as effective but by choosing the middle (or the angle where most of the video will be shot), you at least cover the majority of the needed angles.

Wish I had some polarizer gel I could whip up a filter from so I could show you. :(

Reactions: nparker13
It will change based on DIRECTION not POSITION. Light in the sky comes from one source, the sun. It scatters through the air molecules, dust, water vapor,etc. Due to the scattering, a polarizer is more effective in one direction than another. It does not mean its ineffective, it just means its more effective.

If your camera angle changes relative to the sun during the zipline move, yes the effect of the polarizer will change. Since you can't go up and twist it by hand, your only choice is to choose the mid point. At the two ends of the angle arc, the polarizer won't be as effective but by choosing the middle (or the angle where most of the video will be shot), you at least cover the majority of the needed angles.

Wish I had some polarizer gel I could whip up a filter from so I could show you. :(

That's a great explanation thank you. Would you notice in watching the video? My fear is I had one of those variable ND filters and while I was flying you could see parts of the video get brighter and darker (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
)

This is the 7 in 1 Polarized filter kit that I use from Drone World: Phantom 3 Variable Lens Filters (Circular Polarizer & Neutral Density)
It sure beats having to change filters for every occasion. I highly recommended them. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I almost bought this last night but I read that it lets light in at the corners of the video and although concept is great, construction has an issue with the camera decoding. 4 people on Amazon reviews mention it and recommended against it. I pulled the trigger and bought the TACO 4 pack. I'll let you guys know how I like it. Thanks for the help you all are cool guys.

That's a great explanation thank you. Would you notice in watching the video? My fear is I had one of those variable ND filters and while I was flying you could see parts of the video get brighter and darker (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
)

The effect change of a polarizer will not be that visible. Its not a line like a ND grad. The CP affects the whole scene not just half of it like that. What you will notice IF you look is a gradual change in the darkness of the sky and clouds as the angle changes. But if you have the CP rotated so its change isn't full on then the variation is not that noticeable. And if you had an absolutely cloudless sky anyway, if you look around the sky is not uniformly blue anyway so the change will appear mostly natural. You will notice a slight change in clouds, but again, moderation is key to using a CP on skies.

Reactions: nparker13
howcome none offers grad ND ? i've only seen polarpro kit of grad ND but i only like Grad ND grey neutral. It is so efficient especially with poor dynamic range camera like the one loaded on the P3

Hello Wolfiesden,
This is the MOST complete and easy to understand explanation of how a polarize filter works that I have ever read!!!

Thank you :)

Glad I could help. If you know how something works, its easier to understand how to use it.

Is there any instance when you wouldn't want to use a polarizer? I'm thinking of getting the ND+PL set where all ND has PL. would I regret that do you think?

Yes. One example, water. It reflects like glass. You can either shoot it without the CP and get the surface reflections or shoot it with a CP and see through the surface like the window/display counter example I gave in an earlier post. Just depends on the effect you want out of the scene. Another is lets say you want to shoot a building but you want the sunset reflecting in the glass, if you put a CP on, it will eliminate some or all of that reflection.

I don't think many here use the P3 to shoot people but a CP is a win on people with glasses :) Just food for thought.

Personally I favor individual elements I can control. Combining a ND with a polarizer saves weight aloft but it makes it impossible to to separate the two effects and use them independent of each other. I guess the choice is up to you and what you are shooting.

howcome none offers grad ND ? i've only seen polarpro kit of grad ND but i only like Grad ND grey neutral. It is so efficient especially with poor dynamic range camera like the one loaded on the P3
P3 Series Graduated ND16-8 Filter
I use the Snake River one. They are very good quality and don't tint the pictures yellowish. These filters are probably the most expensive and heavy (7 grams) that I've found for the P3.
They slip on the camera, so for alignment, I mark them with a silver sharpie to identify the top. Another tip is, take off the stock UV filter and you're only adding 5 grams to the camera. Word of caution, the P3S does not have a removable UV filter and does not like the added weight.
The P3A/P handle the filters fine, though. I like the Graduated ND8/16 and the ND8/CP.

Welcome to the forum!

I bought a filter set that included an ND4 and ND8 screw-on filters. It also included a polarizing filter that fit over the end assembly (does not screw on like the ND filters, but rather friction from its internal felt ring holds it in place). My concern is that the polarizing filter weighs 9g compared to the 2g that the filters (and stock, clear lens) weigh. I'm not worried about the impact of an additional 9g on flying time, but what I am concerned about is the wear and tear on the delicate gimbal motors that now have an additional off-axis weight. The gimbal can keep the lens fitted with the polarizing filter level, but the gimbal motors are very hot when I land. Clearly they are working much harder, even though the additional weight is *only* 9g. I've experimented with counterbalancing the gimbal with weights (I stuck Velcro to the backside of the camera, and stuck Velcro to dimes, nickels, and pennies (coins) to compensate for the asymmetrical load. But, the problem remains--the gimbal motors work hard to keep the increased mass level. I'm afraid I will prematurely wear or burnout the gimbal motors---an expensive repair.

Has anyone found an ultralight polarizing filter?

Also, let me sing the praises of ND filters. I am only a beginner photographer, but I agree with the results and what I read concerning ND filters.

Thanks for any ideas.
--H

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers