Polar Pro Cinema Series ND's - They're in!

Reaction score
I know these filters, along with a couple of others have been much anticipated by the P4P community. The ND's are finally making their way into people's hands. There's been a lot of interest in Polar Pro ND's, so I thought I'd throw a quick and dirty post on here to let you guys decide for yourself both the quality of Polar Pro's ND's in raw form, as well as the importance of ND's in general.

Nothin' scientific here. But here is some raw, uncut, footage of the same scene. One version with stock glass on it, and the other with Polar Pro ND16 with optimal exposure and shutter speed values applied. (Notice when I pan across the sun with both lenses how the sun flare and lens artifacting is completely different!)

Recorded at 4k60fps H264 exposure settings for the stock DJI kit glass at iso100, f/11, and flipped between 1/120 (optimal shutter speed for 60fps) to 1/500 (adjusted for proper exposure.)

Stock DJI Glass: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3208462/Videos/SkynetD1/DJI_0719.MOV (1.67GB)

In the second clip, the I had the Polar Pro ND16 installed. It's a sunny day with no clouds out, around 10AM when I started the test. Locked the exposure settings at iso100, f/5, 1/120th. Not bad!

PolarPro ND16: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3208462/Videos/SkynetD1/DJI_0720.MOV (3.55GB)

Let me know of what you guys think of the initial footage. I'll probably update the download links for the raw footage at some point so my dropbox account doesn't get slammed!

Additional photos of fit and finish are attached below. The gimbal guard "technically" doesn't fit. But, it still "kinda" does. Use ate your own discretion. Polar Pro is said to have a gimbal guard for the P4P that will work with their filters, to release sometime in March.
20170126_101247.jpg
20170126_101306.jpg
20170126_101319.jpg
20170126_103017.jpg
20170126_103028.jpg
20170126_103038.jpg

I took a dremel and cut off the front part of the gimbal guard and it fits nicely. Still supports the gimbal but does not protect the lens. There's nothing in my case to scratch the lens anyway, I just want to protect the gimbal from bouncing around.

I took a dremel and cut off the front part of the gimbal guard and it fits nicely. Still supports the gimbal but does not protect the lens. There's nothing in my case to scratch the lens anyway, I just want to protect the gimbal from bouncing around.
I did the exact same thing on my P4 gimble protector and now my P4P because my shutter collection that I got today fit too tight and did not quite seat all the way on. While its in case its not getting any dirt of dust anyway.

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
Polar Pro is said to have a gimbal guard for the P4P that will work with their filters, to release sometime in March.
Thanks for positing video and pics. I just received mine (Cinema Series 6-Pack) today and am planning on trying them out over the weekend. Good to hear that PolarPro has decided to come out with a gimbal guard/lens cover. When I spoke with them last month they said they were not planning on producing one for the P4P.

I got the Shutter Collection and Vivid Collection today. Ordered them last month. They are really nice, and were worth the wait. Pictures of the UV filter that unscrews (the insert glass might come out so hold it carefully); the camera with no filter attached; and the case that each 3 filter set comes in. Each set comes with a nice plastic protective case, and a lens cloth. I had not problem screwing the filter on the camera. The vivid collection; with the combo polarizer, and ND filters, has a rotating filter. The mount on both sets is super thin and very lightweight, so the gimbal doesn't appear to need an counterweight.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 614
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 544
  • IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 504
  • IMG_2061.JPG
    IMG_2061.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Were did you get these for the P4P? I see them for the 4, so is this the same ones or is there ones for the 4 and ones for the 4 Pro? Thanks for any links.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 486
  • IMG_2064.JPG
    IMG_2064.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 533
As far as the gimbal guard goes, it is a really good thing to use, but I have forgotten to take it off before power up on several occasions. I got an inexpensive REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT tag that doe the trick. See photo.
IMG_2065.JPG

Just received my Polar Pro P4P filters. I put a small fingerprint on one while taking it out so I attempted to clean it with the supplied cloth. Now I cant get it 'factory clean' and continues to look like it is smudged. Anyone else experiencing this and if so how do you recommend I clean them. Even used a lens cleaner with the same results. User error?

Anyone else experiencing this and if so how do you recommend I clean them.

If it is just the fingerprint smudge that has now been spread around by the cleaning fluid, try using a dry lens pen similar to this: LENSPEN - The Superior Camera Lens Cleaning System
It is important to make sure you have all dust / fine particles removed (brushed away from the area to be cleaned) before you use this.

I applied a little heat to the back plate of the gimbal guard. Then was able to reshape it ... bend it out and down a little. Not the best solution, but the filter mounted on lens now fits correctly in backpack and seems secure.

I just tried out the Polar Pro ND filter set. I think I will have to recalibrate the gimbal because the gimbal took three tries to complete the startup sequence the first time I powered on with the PP filter. The next two times I powered up after a battery change it took two tries to complete the sequence. Never had a problem with the startup sequence completing on the first try with the stock DJI lens cover. Thoughts?

I just tried out the Polar Pro ND filter set. I think I will have to recalibrate the gimbal because the gimbal took three tries to complete the startup sequence the first time I powered on with the PP filter. The next two times I powered up after a battery change it took two tries to complete the sequence. Never had a problem with the startup sequence completing on the first try with the stock DJI lens cover. Thoughts?

Good call on re-cal. The gimbal felt really jittery and I had to start the start-up sequence on some ground that wasn't very level. I thought the gimbal was acting weird due to that. But I think you're onto something. I'm going to try the same! My gimbal seemed a bit jerky and would not hold a level horizon for most of my flight this evening.

BTW, nice eye for the Superstitions in the video! Where's this one taken? :D What part of the valley are you in?

(Screengrab from raw 4k footage while using the PolarPro ND8. The lens flare in the ND is far superior to the stock DJI lens!)
2017-01-29 00_28_05-Greenshot.jpg

Reactions: desert phantom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers