Please vote! New Phantom 5. Do you think DJI is rushing things?

Do you think DJI is rushing things with the new phantom 5?

• Total voters
I question a lot of what they think it will be. Seems more like rumors.

As with the EU version where the signal range is less than the USA version once the GPS knows where you are, I wouldn't expect them to increase it as it might fall outside of what the FAA or EU will allow. BLOS is the rule and without FPV so anything more than a mile would be pointless if that is your visual range you can see it. All will depend on how the FAA finalizes the rules in Sept. 2017 too. I don't expect them to approve further BVLOS though for safety purposes. Have to wait and see.

And yeah, DJI seems to be rushing it overall in lieu of any sort of quality control to make certain the things are perfect off the line. Inspire 2 still has its issues 4 months out of the box with inoperative landing gear, excessive vibration, props that don't fit, software, etc.

Dji is rushing it. Absolutely. If GoPro were smart they'd make a really stable platform that addresses all the dji complaints and then leave it the heck alone.
Go pro would have, if they could have. They're simply not smart enough.

"Leave it the heck alone?" That's a plan for failure in any business.

I personally would be surprised if Go Pro is still around in 2 years. They haven't advanced their core product adequately, cameras! Where's their 1"sensor camera?

Last edited:
New information on the phantom 5 as of February 2017.
Is DJI rushing?
We have no information on which to make that judgement.
There is no information in either of those articles beyond what some uninformed people guess might be in the P5 whenever DJI get around to creating and releasing it.
DJI have a nice way of surprising everyone when they do launch a new machine.
No-one guessed that Lightbridge would be included in the P3 when it came out.
No-one had a clue they were going to release a 20MP camera on the P4 pro.
Just wait and see when the P5 shows up and what surprises it includes.
One thing that's certain .. it's going to be far, far ahead of anything else on the market.

Dji is rushing it. Absolutely. If GoPro were smart they'd make a really stable platform that addresses all the dji complaints and then leave it the heck alone.
Gopro had two years to get the Karma right and it turned out to be a klunker even after working on it for all that time.
It's not even a match for a lowly P3 Standard which they have been able to examine for their whole development time.

Tomorrow, I will have had my P4, my first drone, for a year, and point of reference of the drone industry is about 6 months before that doing research. From that small vantage point and knowing the rapid pace of technology advancement and innovation, I still believe market forces will mostly guide DJI.

DJI, being the leader, needs to play it cool because stricter government regulations could greatly cripple them, including the entire industry, fueled by deserved and undeserved media reports. Terrorism, privacy issues, overregulation, the rattling of war sabers, and whatever else may greatly throttle the drone industry in the foreseeable future.

How do you know that there is even going to be a Phantom 5?? I think YOU'RE rushing things!
As I have said before, if they continue with the same design with the same cracking-prone airframe, I will never purchase another Phantom. I still believe a Mavic style folding design which is large enough to accommodate the larger cameras and can be stable in higher winds than the Mavic should be the next "Phantom."

LOL

This reminds me of the blog that stated the P4 would have retractable legs and a 360deg camera.

This is the big clue in the first link "We scoured the internet to find all of the rumors, leaks, and allegations"

It's all rumor until DJI lets the cat out of the bag.

Go pro would have, if the could have. They're simply not smart enough.

I personally would be surprised if Go Pro is still around in 2 years. They haven't advanced their core product adequately, cameras! Where's their 1"sensor camera?

Gotta agree there with the lack of smarts.

Where I say leave it the heck alone is due to frustration in us customers as continual beta testers.

My P3Ps have not been updated since my last stable update and will no longer be. I see too many failures that are due to rushed updates - and DJI is not the only guilty party in this.

Reactions: p3s_noob
Go pro would have, if the could have. They're simply not smart enough.

Lol, Gopro will be around as long as people want to use a quality platform, where other cameras just can't comlete.Dji is getting greedy."pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered!

Gotta agree there with the lack of smarts.

Where I say leave it the heck alone is due to frustration in us customers as continual beta testers.

My P3Ps have not been updated since my last stable update and will no longer be. I see too many failures that are due to rushed updates - and DJI is not the only guilty party in this.
Oh yeah, I'm on board with minimizing firmware changes. I do it only when I have to, such as the new P4 DJI just sent me as a warranty exchange had the latest firmware, so I had to migrate from 1.6 on my RC to 1.7.6, and the latest Go4 app. I miss the 32ch hack, it won't work with the latest firmware and Go4 app on my P4. Sad.

Reactions: jryser
Lol, Gopro will be around as long as people want to use a quality platform, where other cameras just can't comlete.Dji is getting greedy."pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered!
I beg to differ. I've been disappointed in the fisheye in ALL GOPROs. Why can't they offer a 94 degree FOV version without fisheye with full 4K? And why haven't they released a 1" sensor version, if they are supposed to be a "Quality" product? They've fallen behind, over a year behind IMHO. I hope they survive, but there are lots of Chinese competitors out there pushing the envelope, nipping at GoPro's heals. GoPro has done a good job at creating their brand name, but I see a huge window of opportunity, wide open for someone to leapfrog them with 1" sensor sports cameras (better ISO, more megapixels). They better buckle down and get that going, or someone else will beat them to market.

Reactions: nhoover and Numone
I beg to differ. I've been disappointed in the fisheye in ALL GOPROs. Why can't they offer a 94 degree FOV version without fisheye with full 4K? And why haven't they released a 1" sensor version, if they are supposed to be a "Quality" product? They've fallen behind, over a year behind IMHO. I hope they survive, but there are lots of Chinese competitors out there pushing the envelope, nipping at GoPro's heals. GoPro has done a good job at creating their brand name, but I see a huge window of opportunity, wide open for someone to leapfrog them with 1" sensor sports cameras (better ISO, more megapixels). They better buckle down and get that going, or someone else will beat them to market.
I love GoPros, but yes, sadly its true, they are way behind. The fish eye gets annoying and i wouldn't want that in all my drone videos. And their drone absolutely sucks. Its crazy outdated yet it recently came out.

I hate the look of GoPro aerial video. It works for close up action footage such as from the handlebars of your bike but for scenic views from the air like I usually take? No way. And Karma...epic epic fail. So much less than a drone.

As far as their Hero 5 action cams...they are WAY behind the competition. A few months ago I needed to buy one so I looked at theirs but then I found the Sony x3000. No question at all. While Sony has features that are nicer and generally works better, it has one killer feature that makes it a no brainer: amazing B.O.S.S. stabilization that REALLY works in 4k. I was trail running the other day holding it in my hand and the footage is amazing. GoPro is a generation behind now and falling.

Reactions: SilverJK

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.