Please vote! New Phantom 5. Do you think DJI is rushing things?

Do you think DJI is rushing things with the new phantom 5?

• Total voters
We have no information on which to make that judgement.
There is no information in either of those articles beyond what some uninformed people guess might be in the P5 whenever DJI get around to creating and releasing it.

Well stated. Don't fall victim to 'fake news' just because someone wants to be the first to talk about rumors. No one had a clue that the P4Pro was going to be what it was. With the release of the P4A, I'd expect the Phantom platform to stay as it is for awhile until DJI has something that will continue to own the 85%+ market share of consumer/prosumer/professional drone industry. None of the competition holds a candle to the technology level that we have at our fingertips. DJI would be foolish to squash the P4 market right now with another new release. And there is nothing to say that the Phantom line might end right here if they decide to go in a different direction. The Phantom body is getting dated and the Mavic was a thorough test bed to further downsize.

I'm guessing that the next step is P4P hardware in a Mavic-style, more portable airframe.

Me too.
1/. I can't afford a new AC 18m after purchasing my 3A and all the associated gubbins and
2/. The "upgrades" and "improvements" in all tech generally aren't that great just a couple of versions on.
HaHa, I have not heard the word "gubbins" for years :)

Reactions: Numone
I believe they have already somewhat confirmed that what is coming later this month (based on forms filed with FCC or whatever that is) is the P4 Advanced and the new smaller drone (smaller than Mavic).

I would like DJI to improve their collision avoidance. It works well in tripod mode when the drone is flying slow. It needs better capability for leafless branches and higher speeds. One of the most critical directions for collision avoidance is straight up. When these capabilities are provided and/or improved, I would be willing to make another investment.

I agree with Sprtbykryder. I spent $1600 for my P4 here in Europe about 8 months ago and there is no way I can justify shelling out that much again for minor improvements. I don't need collision avoidance but would like to see interchangeable lenses on a higher pixel chip in a foldable UAS. I also agree that GoPro is over-hyped as being the best. I bought a Xiaomi Yi 2 camera for $229 (now it is $189) and it performs perfectly well and produces 4K videos that are comparable to the DJI Phantom 4 videos. I also bought the NW-Z1-Rider2 gimbal for a bit under $120 and it works perfectly and can mount on my helmet. Between the DJI P4 and the Xioami Yi2.

There is a olot going on in the drone world and I fully expect someone to come up with a superior drone with 3 axis gimbal, foldable, 30 minute flight time and 5 mile range. The LOS rule is stupid IMHO as I can't see or hear my P4 after 100 meters in the sky. It simply disappears completely. The same when I am flying over water and looking down from a cliff. So, maintaining positive sight is impossible. I do use the Litchi software fro programmed flights and am very happy with how that works plus it gives me a simplified FPV using cheap goggles.

No, the P5 will NOT be my drone. Why??? This is ALL a merchandising effort to put more $$$ (or whatever) into DJI's pockets.

I have three very flyable DJIs, a P2V (with XT antenna mod), a P2V+ v.3 (with XT and body antenna mods), and a P3A. They all fly very well for me, and I enjoy the different characteristics of each one.

Why should I buy another DJI? (rhetorical question)

I highly recommend making the antenna mods on the P2s and upgrading the GPS disk in the upper shell of the P2V+ v.3. The original GPS disk has known problems - fly aways and the like.

I say that when most of you are flying newer models. I'm not buying DJI's merchandising ploy.

Should you????????????????? (another rhetorical question)

P6 is a ways away. Do you mean P5?
I'm pretty sure, Tyson, that was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. He probably meant he was going to wait for the P11 or later!
I bought the P2 with a GoPro and do my own 'upgrades' - I use a Taranis X9D with an X8R and the original DJI flight controller.
Although 'expensive', the DJI flight controllers are amongst the best if you like to build your own multirotors (I hate the term 'Drone') but it takes quite a lot of learning when it comes to programming them to your particular requirements. I'm pleased that there are a lot of enthusiasts (who are a great deal more knowledgeable than I am) who are willing to share their expertise on the 'net.
Probably heresy to Phantom purists, but I don't regret buying the P2 and messing around with it. I've learnt so much about how all multirotors work from transmission to telemetry and just about every other facet of flying them that many just take for granted. .

I would like DJI to improve their collision avoidance. It works well in tripod mode when the drone is flying slow. It needs better capability for leafless branches and higher speeds. One of the most critical directions for collision avoidance is straight up. When these capabilities are provided and/or improved, I would be willing to make another investment.

agreed

Dji is rushing it. Absolutely. If GoPro were smart they'd make a really stable platform that addresses all the dji complaints and then leave it the heck alone.
Keep in mind that DJI has a huge (80% ?) share of the market...they can afford to do alot of innovation quickly, should they chose to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor