Please Assist Me With Bludgeoning This Already Expired Horse...

Reaction score
I bet this has been chewed up a million times a already, if not here than in other forums. That said, if like to hear some thoughts of those who are smart in both or just know the two systems intimately.

I'm curious about a dilemma I've been pondering as of late. If love to hear the community's inputs with respect to the decision for a budding commercial operator to go Mavic Pro 2 or Phantom 4 Pro+ 2.0?

I'm aware of the disproportionate levels of biases likely to sewn into the undertones, however being aware of the high likelihood we are expecting allows us to make some cognitive adjustments to compensate.

Just for a little context, something I'm very insistent be a part of any discussions, I'll give you a quick brief explaining the origins of his curiosity.

I'm a lifelong civil aviation careerist, but now am looking to do something new. As the youngest member of the global aviation industry, I'm compelled to explore the sector. In these efforts, I plan to get the 107 Remote Pilot Certificate based on all my other pilot and mechanic ratings, own a Parrot Bebop 2 and love it more every time I fly it, and in anticipation of forming my own commercial drone company have purchased a DJI Phantom 3 Standard off of eBay. I'm a committed disciple of the doctrine which underlies the phrase "Train as You Fight", and figure now is a great time to become familiar with a higher tier professionally used drone system.

The intent is to use this one as a trainer, initial tool to get me started, and then as a spare moving forward. I am planning to, at some point, purchase whatever the latest tech/capabilities are available at the time. And the Phantom series seems trip be considered the quintessential drone for serious operators. If it makes more sense from a practical standpoint, I may choose the next Mavric or Yuneec models.

What say yous guys (gender non-specific)?

I'd love to hear the community's inputs with respect to the decision for a budding commercial operator to go Mavic Pro 2 or Phantom 4 Pro+ 2.0?
Both are capable of producing similar image quality and have similar performance abilities.
Choose either and you'll have a very capable drone (both are a long way advanced beyond the P3 standard).

As stated above they are both very similar in terms of optics etc. One is more "compact" in terms of portability while the other is "Quicker to Setup/Launch" but they are both very similar in most other aspects.

The Built-In Display for the Pro+ is a nice touch but at the same time we have purchased an additional controller for our to be able to use a stand alone tablet in order to install/use 3rd party applications.

Mavic 2 Pro
  • Pros
    • Smaller form factor so easier to transport
  • Cons
    • Takes a moment or 2 to get set up from compact storage mode to flight mode (Only a moment really)
    • Does not have Built-In Display Unit - Requires you to purchase/use a Tablet/phone
Phantom 4 Pro_ V2
  • Pros
    • Has Built-in Display Device (very visible in bright light)
  • Cons
    • Slightly larger form factor so it takes a larger case and is slightly more bulky
    • Built-in Display Device is "locked" so it's not easy to utilize 3rd part aps

From what I've read, purchasers of drone services don't take the Mavic line seriously.
For whatever reason, they visualize a professional drone in the form of the Phantom series.
That said the inspire 2 is still considered a toy by hollywood standards

Reactions: BigNutz
From what I've read, purchasers of drone services don't take the Mavic line seriously.
For whatever reason, they visualize a professional drone in the form of the Phantom series.
I'm interpreting the grander perspective of the public the same way. They are more inclined to hire the poster child because it's obviously more trustworthy, on account of it on that poster over there.

These types of warped and inaccurate macro-population perceptions which we can thank the media and movie studios for, are a perpetual thorn in the side of the entire aviation industry. Sometimes it's fun to mess with folks by reinforcing the dumbest of the common misconceptions, but usually it's annoying based on the negative impact on the industry because Congress passes some asinine new restrictions that do nothing but satisfy the grumbling public. There is no shortage of historical examples of this happening, and they mostly caused damage to the industry. Every once in awhile, the stupid laws result in a benefit to one or two specific groups of jobs in a certain sector, but always at the cost of doing damage to the industry as a whole.

Agreed. I have heard many times that potential clients think the Phantom gives a more professional appearance. But both are very capable. I bought a very bright external monitor for my Phantom rig because most tablets struggle in bright sunlight. I just got a Mavic 2 Pro with smart controller and it does well in the sun. I am really liking the quick setup and portability of the Mavic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20