Pilot timepost

Reaction score
I have always piloted my drone myself, I have never let Litchi or similar control it through waypoints or preprogrammed paths. It goat me to wondering if I am abnormal.
Many pilots post how many hours a they have been flying, usually much more than myself. It would be interesting to know what piloting time do others spend actually controlling the aircraft, and not let software do it.

I've been flying UAS for decades and I also prefer to fly the AC myself 95% of the time. I do use Litchi for several of my Construction Site projects that need a high level of accuracy for repeat flights.

We teach UAS operations and don't even mention/allow any automated flight modes until the 4th day of instruction because you must be able to fly the aircraft manually in all attitudes before you let the Ap take control.

I have always piloted my drone myself, I have never let Litchi or similar control it through waypoints or preprogrammed paths. It goat me to wondering if I am abnormal.
Many pilots post how many hours a they have been flying, usually much more than myself. It would be interesting to know what piloting time do others spend actually controlling the aircraft, and not let software do it.
There are things Litchi can do that you can't by flying manually. If you have no interest or need to do anything other that hobby fly, you won't need anything but GO4 to fly. Enjoy the flight!

I would say 90-95% is manual flying. Like it was said above, if I specifically need waypoints, POI, etc that I want to make sure I have smooth transitions or need for commercial mapping, then I use them. Personally, I like having the control at my fingertips.

I have yet to use Litchi, though I own it, but so far I have not required it. However, where the situation demands better control and precision, maybe it would have the edge.

Have a couple dozen flights, still a newb, haven’t wanted to do anything but manual flight so far. Sure I use auto take off all the time, but every time I start flying her, I just want to try more maneuvers. I do see where active track and such would improve my videography, but I guess I’m still in the “seeing what she can do” or maybe even “seeing what I can and cannot do with her” phases. Did lose connection to the bird one night, very strange night, all kinds of RF issues this particular night....but just as I was gietting ready to hike out to look for her..the controller connection came back and she was auto RTH and I could hear her approaching. Big phew...That’s the most autonomy Ive used so far

Reactions: Newbieguy
Keep in mind, when you lose the video feed doesn't always mean you've lost control connection, unless you see "connection lost". Look at the bars next to the radio icon to determine if control is actually lost. If you still have bars showing for the radio icon, you have control. Ascend to a higher altitude with left stick to regain the video feed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slickvolt
Keep in mind, when you lose the video feed doesn't always mean you've lost control connection, unless you see "connection lost". Look at the bars next to the radio icon to determine if control is actually lost. If you still have bars showing for the radio icon, you have control. Ascend to a higher altitude with left stick to regain the video feed.
Yes, I did actually get a message that said “aircraft disconnected”, forgot to state that....hey as an aside, I was thinking about rabbit ear antenna position on the controller, the back of my iPad Air2 is magnetic, and is right up against the rabbit ear antennas, the Air2 inherently is a fairly large device on the controller... 1. has anybody determined an optimum antenna position, and 2. Any bad effects using an iPad air2 that has magnetic backing on the controller?

Yes, I did actually get a message that said “aircraft disconnected”, forgot to state that....hey as an aside, I was thinking about rabbit ear antenna position on the controller, the back of my iPad Air2 is magnetic, and is right up against the rabbit ear antennas, the Air2 inherently is a fairly large device on the controller... 1. has anybody determined an optimum antenna position, and 2. Any bad effects using an iPad air2 that has magnetic backing on the controller?
Optimally you should use a windsurfer, under $20. Great value, and they work! Just point the parabolic dishes at the craft and you're good. I like this one that folds away nicely for storage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues