Pilot app crashed big time!

Reaction score
Question, I have a new iPad mini 2 and a p3p......at times over the last few weeks the camera would stop and I had to hit the home button and then the camera icon to get the feed back. Today at about 2k feet out, I first lost video and then the whole pilot app froze and I lost everything including all telemetry! It said disconnected in the red bar on top. The flight recorder seems to have recorded all the data but the pilot app wouldn't start up by going home then hitting camera. I had to shut down the app and restart it and then it worked. Any ideas? It was very in Nerving to say the least. Can I shut down the app completely and restart without worry of crashing? I had zero telemetry which was scary........thanks.

I've had a similar experience where the app locked up while I was at far range. One thing to keep in mind is that the radio will still talk to the aircraft even if the app isn't running; this is true even if your status bar says "disconnected." When I had it happen, I panicked and hit the return-to-home button. This was a mistake because then the aircraft was moving and I had no insight into it, although technically I still had control. The other thing to remember is that the aircraft is built to fault to a safe state, meaning it'll stay where you told it or, if necessary, fly itself home.

In my opinion, the best thing to do in your case is to take your hands off the sticks and let the aircraft hover in place. It's safest when it's not moving. Then take your time reloading the app (I ended up having to reboot my phone entirely), re-establish your connection, and get back to flying. If something DOES go wrong on the quad, like losing signal with the radio or battery levels dropping low, it'll auto-RTH.

Bottom line: when in doubt, take your hands off the sticks, let the bird fly itself, and take your time figuring out the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31