Photo while shooting video

Reaction score
I have my photo set to DNG RAW and I tried taking some pictures while shooting video and discovered an interesting thing. If you take a photo by pressing the photo button on the RC before starting a video the camera will capture a DNG file, but if you take a photo when you are shooting video it will be a jpg. I guess this is because a DNG file is about 33MB versus more like 1.5MB for the jpg.

At least it shoots stills during video and if I need higher quality stills I can stop shooting video, shoot the stills, then resume shooting video.

Brian

The photos taken while shooting video are nothing but a frame capture of the video. It's not a 20mp photo.
It's messed up they would advertise the ability to take photos during recording when apparently that's not nearly the case...

None of the dSLRs or any other devices that can take photos while not disturbing ongoing recorded video can do so at their full still resolution, it's not technically possible. So apparently the entire industry is 'messed up.'

It feels like you have to look closely at their adverts and claims. Range, photos, anti-collision. They are quite good at misleading claims.

They strongly advertise all round sensors. Its true they do have them, but the side sensors only work in Tripod and beginner mode? Just one example.

Reactions: Zzz
None of the dSLRs or any other devices that can take photos while not disturbing ongoing recorded video can do so at their full still resolution, it's not technically possible. So apparently the entire industry is 'messed up.'
Don't advertise what you can't provide, simple as that.

Pretty sure my 5D Mark II "can" do it, but it causes a slight pause in the video for the duration of the shutter + write time I assume. It's not great, but would still prefer that over a frame grab... that's just ridiculous.

But DJI have never advertised this as it's a hardware limitation in the chips they use.
If they haven't then my bad, but I could swear I saw them touting it somewhere... could be wrong though.

Well, I'm not bummed to the point of returning it and I can understand the processing overhead and storage bandwidth issues make it difficult to record uninterrupted video while squeezing in full rez stills at whatever rate the pilot snaps them.

Bottom line is if you need higher rez still stop recording video, shoot your stills, then resume recording video.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair