Phantom3 Adv/Pro - How many consecutive batteries have you flown

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I'm specifically looking for input on the P3A or P3P so I can get a feel for apples to apples comparisons.

I was just wondering how many packs other have flown until the Transmitter gets low on juice so I can plan accordingly. I'm talking about back to back flights all in a single day from a single charge on the Transmitter.

I've flown a couple of dozen packs in a day's time but we have multiple Transmitters on hand so I didn't pay attention to how many battery packs a single Tx would do on average.

Carry a battery bank with you BA . I keep 2 in my kit for whatever .
Just don't forget to carry the charging cords :(

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you EVERYONE for your replies.

I'll have the ability to re-charge on site (Can charge 4 batteries simultaneously) but the weak link is going to be the Tx. At the moment I'll only have a single Tx so when it gets low I'll have to recharge and wait till it's got more juice. I wonder if the charging circuit will let me use and CHARGE the Tx at the same time.

I'll have A/C power at my work station I just wonder how long the Tx will last and how quickly I can get a full charge on it. Since I'll have reliable power if I could charge/use the Tx at the same time I could in theory fly with it charging from the get-go and be able to get maximum time from the Tx battery. I know it doesn't charge anywhere near the discharge rate but if it would work like that I could extend the time until it reaches critical low on the Tx.

Reactions: dirkclod
TX battery is not a limitation, it still keeps enough juice before I get physically tired after flying with 4 AC batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Numone
J

Good idea. What size bank do you use?
Here's what I have ,
IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6177.JPG

The TX will run a long time on a single charge. And at some point you should take a brake and let things cool off.

We have a procedure in place for cooling the batteries prior to charging. As each battery is taken out of the aircraft it's placed into a cooling pack to help get the temp down prior to charging back up. We've done this a few times in the past but only for a few packs. I'm hoping to get around 8+ packs on a single Tx charge this weekend.

We tempt tested last night and the motors (in current weather conditions NOT during the summer) do not get any hotter after 5 flights than they do after 2. It reaches a point of equilibrium well below max temp.

This mission is a "Test Mission" for future SAR projects so I should have some good data about this by this time Monday.

P3P with "C" controller, flown 8 batteries with about 50% left on the TX.
I usually charge my TX after 12 batteries and have never come close to running out of juice.

Reactions: BigAl07
P3P with "C" controller, flown 8 batteries with about 50% left on the TX.
I usually charge my TX after 12 batteries and have never come close to running out of juice.

Excellent. That sound very promising.

I've got 8 batteries and would like to run through them 2x on a single Tx charge.

Nice one, thanks. How long does that take to charge the TX?
I've never just charged it but rather used one to plug into mini or TX when they were getting low to keep them from getting lower .
So I can't tell you . I have charged my mini back up and did take several hr.'s if I remember correctly but did that just to drain them
to recharge them .Got them for that just in case moment and really have not had one . Sorry :)

You will do 8 batteries easy. The remote battery is 6Ah and 7.4v nom (ie 2a LiPO). The remote draws 1.2A so four hours operation will take your SOC down to 25%. That's 12 20 min flights. With reserve.

I thought I should update this thread.

I ran through 18 packs last Friday night. Granted several of the flights were less than full pack. We still changed the battery after each flight in order to always have the bird with the most amount of battery possible. We had 8 batteries, a 3 battery charger, a single charger and we had some down time. We flew off and on from 3:30pm until midnight and at the end of the night our Tx still had 1 full light and #2 blinking.

It was a VERY successful test session and I feel VERY good about the outcome.

This was a test to see the potential for perpetual non-stop flying in Emergency/SAR situations with only a single Tx but multiple batteries. We couldn't fly literally non-stop but with proper equipment and processes we found we could fly for hours on end with a single charge of the Tx.

Thanks for everyone who added to this thread.

On the back of the RC there is a USB for connecting your phone/tablet. There's also a Micro USB port. Can this be used to charge the RC in flight?

On the back of the RC there is a USB for connecting your phone/tablet. There's also a Micro USB port. Can this be used to charge the RC in flight?

While I could be horribly wrong... I'm pretty sure that whole HDMI module is for communications only. I'd like to know more about those additional ports though just the same.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31