Phantom Tilted (entire drone, not just horizon)

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been a lurker here for quite some time and have often resisted the urge to post as you guys have complicated so much information here I have almost always been able to find an answer to just about any question.

However, after only a few flights with my Phantom 4 i've been noticing that the drone itself is tilted a bit (with the gimbal trying to compensate) when it's just hovering about 10 feet or so off the ground. I tried to fix it by doing an IMU calibration but that seems to maybe have made it worse!

What's actually pretty cool is that the phantom 4 still flies almost perfectly always compensating for this tilt it seems...

Thoughts?

first of all make sure it is not windy. The wind may make the drone look like it is tilted by pushing on the side. So I would rotate the drone around during flight, a few feet off the ground. For example if you looking at the back of the drone and looks like it is tilted to the right, with the remote control, rotate it 1/4 or a turn so that can now see the left side or the right side of the drone to follow where the tilt moves.

When performing an IMU calibration make sure the surface is a level as possible.

What firmware is currently installed in RC and Aircraft?.

Rotating the drone seems obvious but I actually have not tried that. I has been windy lately but nothing crazy - 7-10mph winds gusting to about 15 once in a while. I actually tried to bring it between my house and garage to see if that helped and it did not.

Last time I did the IMU calibration I did it in the living room as i'm quite sure it is level. I will actually put a level on the floor to see just how close it really is.

Firmware wise - I'm on the latest and greatest available for both the controller and the drone.

Before another IMU calibration I would try to refresh the firmware and then do the calibrations.

After IMU calibration DJI recommeds Compass calibration, Gimbal Calibration, and VPS. You must calibrate in that sequence.

Reactions: Ron Davis
You can find firmware installation information here HOW TO: Install Phantom 4 firmware

msinger has done a terrific job of putting together step by step instructions on how to perform firmware update.

Before another IMU calibration I would try to refresh the firmware and then do the calibrations.

After IMU calibration DJI recommeds Compass calibration, Gimbal Calibration, and VPS. You must calibrate in that sequence.

I will do this as soon as I get a chance and then test it out. I did not do the gimbal calibration after the IMU was done. Seems totally reasonable that this could fix it. I'll let you guys know - thanks for the super quick response!

Pretty sure that is normal behavior in wind, what is more important is if the horizon is level.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If it's tilted for any reason other than wind it will drift to the low side.

Is it drifting too?

If there's even a tiny bit of wind, the aircraft will tilt to compensate and avoid drifting (unless you are in ATTI mode).
If you see a tilt and your drone hovers in one spot perfectly, your drone is functioning as designed.
The motors are stationary and cannot move. The way the aircraft moves is by tilt. When there's wind, the aircraft will tilt against the wind naturally in order to counter it.

Reactions: Pharm
...you guys have complicated so much information here...
Our intention is to make the information easy, not complicated.

Edit: Just realized you meant "compiled". Never mind. ;)

The Phantom will ONLY tilt when hovering if it's windy and it's doing so to maintain its position. With no wind, it would move in the direction of the tilt, not hover.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers