Phantom Pilot App for Android really that bad?

I havent really had app crashes...i simply get chop and lag/dropped frames. Y

PS: Same with me. Mine is just lag. Never has crashed although it often shows disconnected after breaking connection after reconnecting. The lag is usable with play services rolled back (still not great) but with play services enabled the frame rate is every several seconds.

Reactions: nv40
PS: Same with me. Mine is just lag. Never has crashed although it often shows disconnected after breaking connection after reconnecting. The lag is usable with play services rolled back (still not great) but with play services enabled the frame rate is every several seconds.
which device?

I havent really had app crashes...i simply get chop and lag/dropped frames. You are saying you noticed the video feed smooth, or just slightly better than the nexus?

In regards to the video feed, as shown on the ZenPad S 8.0, while it was choppy every once in a while, it was so minor, I barely noticed it. Again, this is only after a single test flight (as in, testing the tablet, not the Phantom), so at least a few flights will be needed, just to be certain. I will, as previously mentioned, update next week (probably towards the end of the week), once I've had the opportunity to make at least a few more flights using the ZenPad S 8.0.

Android version?

My nexus 6 and 7 are both on the latest version of android..they are stock no skins and no root. the note4 I borrowed from my friend, I think it runs 5.0 but not 5.1....not sure on that.

My nexus 6 and 7 are both on the latest version of android..they are stock no skins and no root. the note4 I borrowed from my friend, I think it runs 5.0 but not 5.1....not sure on that.
Dedicated devices or do you run other crap on them? Have you tried a factory reset and/or clearing the cache partition on the device?

I'm running an LG G Pad 7 tablet. Currently running with google play services disabled or else there is a lot of lag. I also have video caching turned off. The tablet runs great for the first 12-14 minutes but then it shuts down due to over heating (90* temps in south Florida does not help). I haven't experienced any crashes or disconnects however.
I'm hoping the new DJI app version is not as resource intensive and does not cause this particular tablet to overheat.

Yea please check back after a few flights. Be anxious to see the results.

Is the Pilot or Go app even 64 bit?

The current app (DJI pilot, as DJI Go isn't yet available on Android) is not 64-bit. In truth, I don't believe any Android apps are 64-bit...yet (even most iOS apps are still 32-bit, as Apple only started requiring apps submitted to contain 64-bit code as of this past February, to which that doesn't mean the app has to be 100% 64-bit...as long as it contains 64-bit coding, and is 100% 64-bit compatible). But, just as when 64-bit CPUs were released for computers, followed by 64-bit versions of the operating systems, there weren't yet 64-bit apps. 64-bit software didn't start appearing for almost a year, and true 100% 64-bit software took almost two years before hitting the market (primarily because the Windows XP 64-bit userbase, as that was the only 64-bit version of Windows available, was extremely small).

As pointed out by bbfpv, there are hardware advantages (the smother video being just one of them) to having a 64-bit CPU inside of a tablet, but until the apps start to take advantage of them, the only advantages that will be noticed until them will mostly be hardware-based advantages. At the same time, just the fact that the CPU is operating at a faster speed, that gives it advantages over the Nexus 7 (2013), just as the faster CPU inside an iPad Mini 3 had advantages over an iPad Mini Retina (aka iPad Mini 2).

Reactions: bbfpv
I'm running an LG G Pad 7 tablet. Currently running with google play services disabled or else there is a lot of lag. I also have video caching turned off. The tablet runs great for the first 12-14 minutes but then it shuts down due to over heating (90* temps in south Florida does not help). I haven't experienced any crashes or disconnects however.
I'm hoping the new DJI app version is not as resource intensive and does not cause this particular tablet to overheat.
Don't get your hopes up. Hardware decoding of the video stream is controlled by the chip. It's not crappy coding by DJI, they just offload the work to the GPU. In other words, there's really no way to optimize how the stream gets handled because it's your GPU that's the limiting factor. The only thing DJI would have control over is the compression/quality of the feed, ie, they could make the feed shittier quality so it takes less horsepower to decode it. (which they aren't going to do).

Dedicated devices or do you run other crap on them? Have you tried a factory reset and/or clearing the cache partition on the device?

Not dedicated devices...and honestly if I NEED a dedicated device just for this I find that a bit ridiculous.

I'm a network tech...I'm familiar with phones/tablets...I run stock android with no skins, these things are not bloated. I ran airplane mode on all of them...on my nexus 7 i downgraded google play services...but that is not acceptable as it renders the tablet useless for other functions (and did not solve the issue).

My nexus 6 might not be on the official supported list...but it is a top of the line phone with specs that should have NO problem with this load if they can get the app optimized right.

Don't get your hopes up. Hardware decoding of the video stream is controlled by the chip. It's not crappy coding by DJI, they just offload the work to the GPU. In other words, there's really no way to optimize how the stream gets handled because it's your GPU that's the limiting factor. The only thing DJI would have control over is the compression/quality of the feed, ie, they could make the feed shittier quality so it takes less horsepower to decode it. (which they aren't going to do).

If you go back a few pages..I brought up this point that is was a MORONIC decision to have the devices handle the decoding. Adding a dedicated board for decoding to the controller would have been nothing to do...and they already do it to enable HDMI video out on the inspire 1 and with the HDMI add in board for the phantom 3. that 1 simple design change would have prevented alll of this.

Not dedicated devices...and honestly if I NEED a dedicated device just for this I find that a bit ridiculous.

I'm a network tech...I'm familiar with phones/tablets...I run stock android with no skins, these things are not bloated. I ran airplane mode on all of them...on my nexus 7 i downgraded google play services...but that is not acceptable as it renders the tablet useless for other functions (and did not solve the issue).

My nexus 6 might not be on the official supported list...but it is a top of the line phone with specs that should have NO problem with this load if they can get the app optimized right.
Sure, but have you tried clearing the cache partition?

Sure, but have you tried clearing the cache partition?

Sorry..yes..I have.

My nexus 7 I don't use for daily work...so i was actually willing to do a factory reset on it. I do understand that the nexus7 is a bit older..but they list it on the official supported devices page...

Haven't read all 8 pages but ... depends on device. Have tried 3 different android device and have seen 1/4 second to 1 second lag times, 1 crash and 1 overheat. I have also flown with an iPad Mini 3 that overheated.

Seems to depend on device specs.

I received my p3p a couple days ago. Using the Nexus 7, and Not downloading any new versions (i kept the original 1.1.9) of the software, i had some fun flights with it.
I even ran the quad into the neighbors roof and recovered! Ha.
This remote control stuff is fun!

I would've figured that using my Note 4 would be powerful enough, but my video is slightly laggy at close range, and really bad at 400'+ away. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to invest in a new iPad :(

As someone with a Note 4 but prepared to upgrade to an inexpensive Android tablet when I find a buyer for my P2 system to upgrade to P3pro, reading this whole thread cover to cover, makes this normally impatient guy glad for my sideline status!

Here's hoping the new updates and GO will sort things and make an Android tablet choice (or even better, my existing Note 4), easy, so plunking down serious money for the new bird is my biggest concern!

Thanks to everyone who's helped educate me to this point. Baited breath...

Android works just fine on my LG3 GPad, though it is just for the P3P and I uninstalled the Google Play app. My device is not even listed on the Android Device list ,but should be, works like a dream!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl