Phantom Pilot App for Android really that bad?

Reaction score
So is the android app really that bad? I have just been scrolling through the app reviews on Google play and it is full to the brim with 1 star reviews saying that it simply doesn't work and buyers remorse!

My only device is a Nexus 6 and I'm a bit worried about purchasing a P3 and having compatibility problems even though it's a high spec'd phone and don't like the idea of getting an iPad just for flying.

Is the android app really that bad?

I think it's great - clearly a huge step forward from the old Vision app for P2V and P2V+. You no longer need to connect via USB - do everything in the app. And with the 720p FPV, you can really see well what you're shooting.

However, even on modern hardware (Nexus 9), I was getting slight lag and the Pilot app was using the whole power of the tablet. The app would also crash, maybe once every 2 flights I solved that by doing what others discovered: downgrade Google Play services (and maps etc, all the google stuff) and now the video quality is gorgeous and smooth and I can even run my screen recorder app at the same time. And no more crashes at all.

Other than the incompatibility with the latest Google Play, DJI has done a pretty great job on the app I have to say. I'm sure they'll solve these problems and it will be solid.

Reactions: Neil M
I think it's great - clearly a huge step forward from the old Vision app for P2V and P2V+. You no longer need to connect via USB - do everything in the app. And with the 720p FPV, you can really see well what you're shooting.

However, even on modern hardware (Nexus 9), I was getting slight lag and the Pilot app was using the whole power of the tablet. The app would also crash, maybe once every 2 flights I solved that by doing what others discovered: downgrade Google Play services (and maps etc, all the google stuff) and now the video quality is gorgeous and smooth and I can even run my screen recorder app at the same time. And no more crashes at all.

Other than the incompatibility with the latest Google Play, DJI has done a pretty great job on the app I have to say. I'm sure they'll solve these problems and it will be solid.

Downgrading Google play services isn't an option for me as I use a few Google services for business. Would be nice if dji commented saying that they are working to improve the app bit reading through the forum it seems that they remain completely silent over these issues. It's a shame really as it's a bit off putting

The app is brilliant.
My guess is that the bad reviews are from people that either have no idea or they used it on a sub-performing tablet.
It is demanding of resources so you have to run it on a capable device.
I'm using a Nexus 7 which is pretty cheap and it's just great.
About 1000% improvement on the P2V+ app.
The app is loaded with great functionality. Here are a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of just part of what it does.
i-kGtmQ4G-M.png

i-6Nm6NjP-M.png

i-nfjhb9K-M.jpg

I think you'll find that app is a real resource hog, no matter which tablet you get - more so on Android. There are issues they definitely need to sort out as people are experiencing problems on the supported Android devices now too.

Hopefully they'll sort out the issues as basically this app just turns your tablet in to a low bit-rate 720p display device and it shouldn't need the resources it is asking for.

I've had to downgrade the Google Play Services like a number have to get acceptable performance. DJI have said they are looking at improving the app because of such problems; hopefully there will be big improvements in the next version.

So is the android app really that bad? I have just been scrolling through the app reviews on Google play and it is full to the brim with 1 star reviews saying that it simply doesn't work and buyers remorse!

My only device is a Nexus 6 and I'm a bit worried about purchasing a P3 and having compatibility problems even though it's a high spec'd phone and don't like the idea of getting an iPad just for flying.

Is the android app really that bad?

The app works great on android and my Nexus 7 with the latest updates but I can't get through a single flight usually without one crash do to the google services but it does immediately come back up again so it could be worse. Like you I use the tablet for other stuff as well so downgrading the Google services on the tablet to resolve the issue isn't an option for me. I use my iPhone 6 Plus when I need more stability.

Well I'd like to think that the Nexus 6 has enough power to handle the resources that this app is demanding, any idea on when a new version of the app is likely to release? I've had a look over on the dji forum but I find that forum hard to navigate and find information.

When you see so many bad reviews around it just makes the decision on which UAV to get next a little bit harder! I'm probably doing too much research (not the 1st time :() but it's a fairly big purchase.

Would live to hear from any 1st hand nexus 6 users

The app is brilliant.
My guess is that the bad reviews are from people that either have no idea or they used it on a sub-performing tablet.
The app is loaded with great functionality. Here are a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of just part of what it does.
i-kGtmQ4G-M.png

i-6Nm6NjP-M.png

i-nfjhb9K-M.jpg

How many successful flights have you had? I had the 1st gen N7 and liked it a lot!

The app is brilliant.
i-kGtmQ4G-M.png

i-6Nm6NjP-M.png

i-nfjhb9K-M.jpg
Your kidding right? How about the lock out and freezes every other flight, or the fact that there's the dreaded gimbal overload bug, or the fact that it gives a constant warning that the RC needs updating, or the fact that one looses video signal while there are still all bars on the indicator, or the fact that it still crashes more on the android platform than my iOS. Let's think first before making general assumptions that "people have no idea" Sherlock. This isn't Roswell New Mexico and denial is no longer an accepted response.

And let's not forget the fact that the camera won't stay level no matter how you adjust the gimbal roll.........Which makes you set it EVERY time you fly. Or the fact that the video range is notably shorter than previous versions. Good app but it needs work for sure, and that's the reality. Thank you.

The app works fine. There are certainly issues with tablets though. There is absolutely NO issue with range that is at all associated with the app. It COULD be attributed to the newest firmware, but even that theory is only speculation. I fly with both a Galaxy Tab 4 and an iPad Air 2. both perform exactly the same. It just depends on what device I have with me at the moment. Also running the newest firmware, and have no issues with stability or range.

Pleasant changes are just around the corner. I would show them if it were not for the non disclosure. I'm referring to firmware and app both.

Your kidding right? How about the lock out and freezes every other flight, or the fact that there's the dreaded gimbal overload bug, or the fact that it gives a constant warning that the RC needs updating, or the fact that one looses video signal while there are still all bars on the indicator, or the fact that it still crashes more on the android platform than my iOS. Let's think first before making general assumptions that "people have no idea" Sherlock. This isn't Roswell New Mexico and denial is no longer an accepted response.

Bit harsh, it was only his experience

Reactions: Stephan
And let's not forget the fact that the camera won't stay level no matter how you adjust the gimbal roll.........Which makes you set it EVERY time you fly. Or the fact that the video range is notably shorter than previous versions.
OK .. how about some people (like you) have no idea what's an issue with the app and what is an issue with firmware, the P3 itself or operator misunderstanding?
The original question was .. is the android app really that bad?
And why so many negative reviews in the app store?
I stick to my answer to the first.
You've just demonstrated the answer to the second question.

Reactions: Stephan
First flights on my Oppo Find 7A, i did have lot of problems, freezes, etc,etc...
Change to 1.1.0 App, and reverse "Services Google".

Works now like a charm even without Google Maps.......so maybe users lack of know-how too? ;-)

Not perfect.....but it can be done!

Well I'd like to think that the Nexus 6 has enough power to handle the resources that this app is demanding, any idea on when a new version of the app is likely to release? I've had a look over on the dji forum but I find that forum hard to navigate and find information.

When you see so many bad reviews around it just makes the decision on which UAV to get next a little bit harder! I'm probably doing too much research (not the 1st time :() but it's a fairly big purchase.

Would live to hear from any 1st hand nexus 6 users

I have a nexus 6 and I can tell you it is horrible. I only have 3 flights on it so far...and it appears that people are saying i can try to turn on airplane mode and uninstall latest google services stuff...so I plan to try that. But as far as performance...the lag makes it worse than my old phantom 2+. As soon as you move, or pan, it is like watching a jerky video from the 1990's internet.

I have since tried my nexus 7 2nd gen model and it is MUCH better...but still not what i expected out of the newest phantom. The video quality over the phantom 2 is a no brainer...but I expected much better smoothness for over 1k in equipment. I am willing to wait it out if DJI would give ANY indication that they are working the issue...but otherwise I am thinking about trying an apple tablet to see if it is any better.

It is really a shame cause I wanted to show some friends the difference between my phantom2 and this...and I feel stupid showing them the lag and jerkiness of the video feed. Does the feed stay connected further and better than my phantom 2....100% yes...but my phantom2 feed was actually smoother video when the connection was good. That is just embarrassing.

EDIT:

Oh..also wanted to add a couple points. I installed the latest firmware to the copter...but I can not get the controller to do anything with the upgrade. I tried all 3 methods (flash drive...SD adapter, and plugging into copter) and the controller simply NEVER acts like it goes into upgrade mode. It does nothing. So my app always flashes that the firmware needs upgrading...but everything seems to work so maybe that is a glitch.

I do notice that the signal strength bar is a little inonsistent...it might drop to 1 bar and then say no signal even though video still looks fine...then i keep going further and video signal meters actually says it is stronger again. I've found just watching the video quality is a better indication of signal strength than the meter.

I was in an open area and got out to 10250 feet (2 miles) before i lost feed completely...so as far as distance this thing blows my phantom 2+ out the water. Again..its just a shame the video was jerky while watching that 2 mile flight out. On my nexus 7 it is workable...just annoying. On my nexus 6 I consider it actually dangerous because of the lag...I would be nervous to fly near ANY obstacles because the video feed might freez/lag and i think i am in one place and it is actually in another.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20