Phantom Pilot App for Android really that bad?

No it is not. So can't blame DJI.

Samsung Tab S

Well..firmware updates all done. Nexus 6 still lags...airplane mode after reboot..still lags. Just reporting back.

Right there shows maybe a A+ computer tech? Please don't take the wrong way but a 3 way Skype call is nothing compared to what's going on when running the pilot app.
( IT Manager for a City)

Don't question my knowledge..I'll be glad to go toe to toe with you any day. My point was that the amount of resources needed should not be such a huge difference. This is basically video playback with some stuff going on in the background for logging and a few other things. We know this because earlier versions DID NOT LAG...and no features were added when lagging started. hence...DJI broke something and/or they suck at android coding.

You can question my skills all you want...but if a STOCK android build on a nexus6 with a snapdragon 805 and 3GB of RAM maxs out CPU and lags...then either the app is HORRIBLY coded, or if it is TRULY that resource intensive then they need to move away from mobile devices and run this crap on x86 hardware.

ALL of the video decoding should be done in hardware...either the copter or the controller. If they have the phone doing the heavy lifting on that then again I say, STUPID DJI.

The DJI apps for the phantom 2 do ALMOST as much and that thing runs on 5 year old hardware.

Don't question my knowledge..I'll be glad to go toe to toe with you any day. My point was that the amount of resources needed should not be such a huge difference. This is basically video playback with some stuff going on in the background for logging and a few other things. We know this because earlier versions DID NOT LAG...and no features were added when lagging started. hence...DJI broke something and/or they suck at android coding.

You can question my skills all you want...but if a STOCK android build on a nexus6 with a snapdragon 805 and 3GB of RAM maxs out CPU and lags...then either the app is HORRIBLY coded, or if it is TRULY that resource intensive then they need to move away from mobile devices and run this crap on x86 hardware.

ALL of the deocding should be done in hardware...either the copter or the controller. If they have the phone doing the heavy lifting on that then again I say, STUPID DJI.
Well... it seems to me that we have a genius here that is going to be reworking the Pilot app for us Android users. I'm guessing it will be done ...tomorrow? That should be plenty of time! Its just a youtube app wit h a USB cable!! Thanks for the great efforts!!!

Well... it seems to me that we have a genius here that is going to be reworking the Pilot app for us Android users. I'm guessing it will be done ...tomorrow? That should be plenty of time! Its just a youtube app wit h a USB cable!! Thanks for the great efforts!!!

Just shut up if you are going to misquote me. Why the hell are you even here if you have no issues...good for you...go outside and fly and stay the hell out of a thread about people that ARE having issues.

You sound like someone without enough common sense to even own a quad copter....scary.

What are you? 12? Miss-quoted you?? You seem to know everything.. so why are you having issues? You seem to have an incredible grasp on what it takes to code for Android.. so when are you going to let us all know how you solved this? I mean... that WOULD be the most honest thing to do.. if you knew anything about it that is.

The app runs fine on a lot of systems.. not yours Im guessing. You like to talk it down like its something simple, but when put on task you crumble. Im here because I dont have issues. Because I can answer the OP question.

ALL of the video decoding should be done in hardware...either the copter or the controller. If they have the phone doing the heavy lifting on that then again I say, STUPID DJI.

The DJI apps for the phantom 2 do ALMOST as much and that thing runs on 5 year old hardware.

Imho if you don't understand what compression is involved to get live 720P 3 miles, I really don't have much more to say. It's very hardware dependent and intensive to decode.

When it gives an a7 / a8 a workout, that's something to notice. On ios you can do much more optimizing when dealing with an a7 or a8 device. How to optimize or support untold amount of different hardware configuration and gpu's on android is a nightmare.

With that being said, I can tell you it runs very smooth on some android tablets and phones. The shield is my personal choice.

Reactions: III% Streve
Bummer, from another Nexus 6 owner.
Praying that the DJI Go app revision for Android helps out.

It definitely should help.. but can't say how much, since I don't own one.

I know it improved performance on my note 4.. currently in the last phase of the beta.

It definitely should help.. but can't say how much, since I don't own one.

I know it improved performance on my note 4.. currently in the last phase of the beta.

Awesome!! I moved from a Note 4 to a Nexus 6 and it seems to be a more capable performer so I am hoping those results translate over to my phone too :)

Any idea how long these final beta phases usually take?

Awesome!! I moved from a Note 4 to a Nexus 6 and it seems to be a more capable performer so I am hoping those results translate over to my phone too :)

Any idea how long these final beta phases usually take?
Shouldn't be more than a few days max, imho.

Reactions: AlmostTan
Imho if you don't understand what compression is involved to get live 720P 3 miles, I really don't have much more to say. It's very hardware dependent and intensive to decode.

When it gives an a7 / a8 a workout, that's something to notice. On ios you can do much more optimizing when dealing with an a7 or a8 device. How to optimize or support untold amount of different hardware configuration and gpu's on android is a nightmare.

With that being said, I can tell you it runs very smooth on some android tablets and phones. The shield is my personal choice.

I DO understand what compression that takes...which is exactly why I said that should be getting done on the hardware side...meaning the copter and controller. Making the phones do the heavy lifting on that would be stupid. Hardware based decoding is always going to outperform software based decoding.

Pleasant changes are just around the corner. I would show them if it were not for the non disclosure. I'm referring to firmware and app both.
I just ordered the Phantom 3 pro today but after reading all the issues with the firmware, i better cancel that order until DJI fixes the problems.
I am brand new to this hobby. Would someone please recommend another company that makes a drone with less software issues please?
Thank you

I just ordered the Phantom 3 pro today but after reading all the issues with the firmware, i better cancel that order until DJI fixes the problems.
I am brand new to this hobby. Would someone please recommend another company that makes a drone with less software issues please?
Thank you

With the capabilities of the phantom 3 at this price point? Not much else man.

I am upset with some issues I think should be fixed..but this is still the best platform in my opinion...unless you build it yourself.

Just read up on issues some people are having..and see if they will apply to you. For example..if you plan to use an apple device..chances are you don't need to worry about the lag we are talking about.

Cutting edge is exactly that! If you want an easy flyer out of the box get an AirHogs rig.

I DO understand what compression that takes...which is exactly why I said that should be getting done on the hardware side...meaning the copter and controller. Making the phones do the heavy lifting on that would be stupid. Hardware based decoding is always going to outperform software based decoding.

Ok, like I also said.. Try to make it compatible with all the different hardware configurations on android to utilize the gpu decoding... Maybe soon but currently not able to do so.

My Nexus 9 (bought used just for flying the P3) was working ok although the app was crashing once every 2-3 flights and the video lagged slightly. I was sort starting to hate the tablet but took advice in this forum to downgrade Google Play Services (and other Google apps) and found that cured it completely. Since then I've done 10 flights with no crashes and no lag whatsoever in the video feed. This is on 1.0.10 with old firmware 1.1.9. A week after they release Go for Android I'll give a try at that and upgraded firmware if everyone seems to be doing ok with it.

The Pilot app is a huge improvement over the Vision app I flew since Dec 2013 and I really like it. Just wish it had HL and POI implemented.

I was sort starting to hate the tablet but took advice in this forum to downgrade Google Play Services (and other Google apps) and found that cured it completely. Since then I've done 10 flights with no crashes and no lag whatsoever in the video feed.

Doesn't downgrading GPS make you lose all of the more recent additions, like on-body detection and whatnot?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik