Phantom Pilot App for Android really that bad?

Reverse to factory and disable updates, on "Service Google"...

Them try again ;-)

Reverse to factory and disable updates, on "Service Google"...

Them try again ;-)

Yeah..i plan to try that. But honestly..that is NOT a fix. The is my phone....so i have to choose between flying my phantom, and using my phone for you know...normal phone stuff. If you revert to older version of google services a lot of apps break.

Sorry...newest as of the day i got it...which was last week.

A new version came out today? I'll go check...but I'm nervous to be a test subject lol.
It was obviously tested before it was released. Sure, sometimes crap doesnt work. When was the last time you bought a new light bulb that didnt work? But of the tens of thousands out there, a few bad ones is pretty dang good odds!!

Yeah..i plan to try that. But honestly..that is NOT a fix. The is my phone....so i have to choose between flying my phantom, and using my phone for you know...normal phone stuff. If you revert to older version of google services a lot of apps break.

It's great to hear from another nexus 6 user, thanks for taking the time to comment. It's a real shame that it's not working, making my decision on which quad to get next really hard. The phantom offers the best value by far but I'd be buying with the HOPE that they fix these issues, and fairly soon! Would be great if you could update this thread once you have the newest firmware installed, I like you cannot be messing about with Google services all the time I want to fly.

An old manager of mine once said "Hope is not a strategy"

Compared to ios, yes it is terrible. It works but there is stutter or laget on most android tablets.

I bought a new Samsung tab pro, and the app was horrendeous. It was like watching stop motion video. Useless. After rooting it and spending a lot of hours to optimize, it's a lot better and usable, but still not a great experience. Video still stutters.

Maybe if I 'freeze' the remaining apps like the Google stufor it will work... maybe. But when I freeze apps they keep restarting on me, if not immediately, then after restarting tablet. It's a big pia. I regret not making darn sure which tablets actually work. Nvidia shield is a freaking mirror on a sunny day so I wanted to stay away from it.

It's great to hear from another nexus 6 user, thanks for taking the time to comment. It's a real shame that it's not working, making my decision on which quad to get next really hard. The phantom offers the best value by far but I'd be buying with the HOPE that they fix these issues, and fairly soon! Would be great if you could update this thread once you have the newest firmware installed, I like you cannot be messing about with Google services all the time I want to fly.

An old manager of mine once said "Hope is not a strategy"

I plan to update the firmware and try some test tonight. I will test with just the firmware update...then with airplane mode on...and then with the google services reverted (which i obviously can not keepo that way).

Its really a shame cause i assumed the nexus 6 is perfect...HUGE screen...great specs....if this phone cant run smooth then they need a new team of android programmers.

It was obviously tested before it was released. Sure, sometimes crap doesnt work. When was the last time you bought a new light bulb that didnt work? But of the tens of thousands out there, a few bad ones is pretty dang good odds!!

A light bulb doesn't cost me over a thousand dollars. I expect some glitches with a $100 RC plane...a $200 budget phone.....a $300 cheap laptop. But for $1100 this level of problems is just not acceptable, and the lack of communication from DJI is the icing on the cake. Look...if they would just come out and say "hey...we messed something up int he latest firmware...and we know the android app sucks...we are working on it and we will hoepfully have some updates in a few weeks" I would give them a pass at least for now.

Reactions: Stephan
I think the trouble with PHONES is that they have a ton of other crap that has to be running. Shutting crap off should help.

A light bulb doesn't cost me over a thousand dollars. I expect some glitches with a $100 RC plane...a $200 budget phone.....a $300 cheap laptop. But for $1100 this level of problems is just not acceptable, and the lack of communication from DJI is the icing on the cake. Look...if they would just come out and say "hey...we messed something up int he latest firmware...and we know the android app sucks...we are working on it and we will hopefully have some updates in a few weeks" I would give them a pass at least for now.

Thats fair to a degree.. The android app is fine for me and many others. Some have significant issues. Its not an app issue, its an issue between the app and the hardware. And the variables involved in smoothing that are insane! I obviously cant explain whats going on with the few phantoms that are having issues. But its more than obvious that its only a portion of the overall 'fleet'. Cars have similar issues.. hundreds of thousands are built, and many have issues. It gets taken care of and everyone moves on. You don't see it all over the news though unless people are dieing over it.

I think the trouble with PHONES is that they have a ton of other crap that has to be running. Shutting crap off should help.

I dont have to shut stuff off to watch youtube...or use google maps..or use navigation. Hell...i can be navigating with google maps, while listening to pandora, and using voice dictation to have a hangouts conversation....this is NOTHING but inept programming skills from DJI.

I'm a computer tech...I have SOME info on the area. You can NOT tell me that app needs more resources than a 3 way skype video call (which i do all the time). The video call is pulling and pusing data...using the camera...it logs and adjust the video feed based on cell phone strength.

The DJI app simply needs to display video and telemetry...all the heavy lifting should be done by the controller. It is nothing more than a glorified youtube video player with a FEW extra things running. To bog down modern phones with quad core procs in them is simply stupid...period.

Reactions: rrmccabe
I dont have to shut stuff off to watch youtube...or use google maps..or use navigation. Hell...i can be navigating with google maps, while listening to pandora, and using voice dictation to have a hangouts conversation....this is NOTHING but inept programming skills from DJI.

I'm a computer tech...I have SOME info on the area. You can NOT tell me that app needs more resources than a 3 way skype video call (which i do all the time). The video call is pulling and pusing data...using the camera...it logs and adjust the video feed based on cell phone strength.

The DJI app simply needs to display video and telemetry...all the heavy lifting should be done by the controller. It is nothing more than a glorified youtube video player with a FEW extra things running. To bog down modern phones with quad core procs in them is simply stupid...period.
You have got to be kidding me! Are you seriously trying to say that because one app uses the same resources, no matter what it is for, than another? So you, as a computer tech, have never seen a computer have a problem running a program that other computers have no issue with? Have you not seen the thread asking about rigs people use to edit 4k video? Your statement is so empty of logic its insane!

You have got to be kidding me! Are you seriously trying to say that because one app uses the same resources, no matter what it is for, than another? So you, as a computer tech, have never seen a computer have a problem running a program that other computers have no issue with? Have you not seen the thread asking about rigs people use to edit 4k video? Your statement is so empty of logic its insane!

We are not asking these phones to edit 4k video. What i am saying is that if they cant program an app to run smoothly on an android phone with 3GB of RAM and a snapdragon 805 quad core proc...then they should basically just NOT release an android app because 80% of phones and tablets currently in use probably dont meet those specs.

The nexus 6 runs STOCK android...no skins...no mods...it should be the ULTIMATE reference platform. Someone at DJI sucks with android..and that is a fact.

No, he is absolutely right. The android version of the app is poorly written. People manage to run very resource intensive tasks on their devices - but dji app video stutters. It's not just one case here and there. Video stutter is something a lot of people are experiencing.

Crashing etc is fairly isolated to some, but not video stutter.

So now we are back to a few people having an issues and somehow that "80%". Sure, there are SOME android devices that have issues. My Samsung Tab 1 is one of those devices. My Tab 3 and 4, Galaxy S4 and S6 all run without a hitch. And have played pandora while flying since you mentioned that as well. So between the TWO of us, 30% have an issue... thats NOWHERE near 80%, and the Tab 1 is 5 years old!! If we take that out of the mix you are down to 20%.

Im guessing that the primary issue with studder that people are experiencing isnt really an APP issue and is more a data link issue between the controller and the tablet/phone. Either cable related, or a management issue handling the actual connection.

We are not asking these phones to edit 4k video. What i am saying is that if they cant program an app to run smoothly on an android phone with 3GB of RAM and a snapdragon 805 quad core proc...then they should basically just NOT release an android app because 80% of phones and tablets currently in use probably dont meet those specs.

The nexus 6 runs STOCK android...no skins...no mods...it should be the ULTIMATE reference platform. Someone at DJI sucks with android..and that is a fact.

I'd have to agree with you, about 4-5 years ago there was a huge gap between the quality of iOS apps compared to android, thankfully that gap doesn't exist now with most apps being given identical functionality on both platforms. It's very lazy from dji in this instance and giving the iOS app an UI overhaul is just rubbing salt in the wound

Reactions: nv40
Im guessing that the primary issue with studder that people are experiencing isnt really an APP issue and is more a data link issue between the controller and the tablet/phone. Either cable related, or a management issue handling the actual connection.

So explain to me how i can hover 20 feet away...with the same USB cable...and my nexus 7 is smoother than my nexus 6....and the nexus 6 hardware is WAY more powerful than the nexus7.

Look...i'm not saying SOME people arent having a perfect experience. What I am saying is that enough people are having a crappy one...on devices that ABSOLUTELY should not be bogged down by this...for this to be unacceptable.

So explain to me how i can hover 20 feet away...with the same USB cable...and my nexus 7 is smoother than my nexus 6....and the nexus 6 hardware is WAY more powerful than the nexus7.

Look...i'm not saying SOME people arent having a perfect experience. What I am saying is that enough people are having a crappy one...on devices that ABSOLUTELY should not be bogged down by this...for this to be unacceptable.
Just ignore or block him. Please, anything other than encouraging him to reply again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik