Phantom overweight with Zenmuse H3 2D Gimbal?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Is it just me or does the weight of the Zenmuse H3 2D Gimbal seem a bit too heavy for the Phantom? DJI recommended maximum weight for Phantom + payload is 2000 grams or less. Looks like its 230 grams for the Gimbal, 22g for the GCU and PMU v2 (not sure what that weighs)? I realize it would equal less flight time, but I keep reading about stress fractures on the Phantom shell at the motor mounts which wouldn't be so much of a problem if you could actually buy a replacement shell. Apparently, there is an additional piece of kit in addition to the gimbal that phantom owners need to purchase which I assume is the PMU and the 7th channel lever for gimbal pitch? Does anyone have an accurate weight of all the kit required for the Gimbal + Phantom as well as what is included in the Phantom kit for the Zenmuse H3 2D Gimbal? I don't mind learning how to solder (some might), but it was advertised as plug and play so will it indeed be plug and play? Seems DJI is being a bit coy? Pretty cool piece of kit, but seems more suited for F450 or F550 owners? Many thanks! :)

-Y

DJI has changed the figures and has upped the recommended payload.

while not the most ideal platform, the Phantom still has the same motors as the F450 and is capable of lifting the Zenmuse gimbal no problem (with 6 minute flight times).
But I definitely imagine that the F450 might offer a more stable platform to shoot from, with the wider prop distance.

The phantom was originaly 1000g and dji have upped this figure to 1200g. 2000g would be way too much weight for the phantom using a 2200mah 3s battery and 8 inch props. It would lift it but use lots of power and would drop out of the sky pretty fast once you ru low on battery. Im not sure what my setup is atm but I assume around 1200g with batt, fpv, mount, camera and filter. No gimbal yet as I am currently undecided on which one to get. My setup using stock props is still not too bad but I tried some 8x5 graupner clone carbon props and these had much less lift and struggled even with a phantom on its own. If your running a heavy phantom make sure the props your using have the same lift or greater the stock props.

Think using the dji gimbal my setup would end up much the same weight as I am at now, my anti jello mount is quite big so replacing this with the gimabl and its own mount plus you most likely cant use filters on it so total weight would be similar though battery drain will be higher with the gimbal using some of the capacity.

I will likely upgrade my setup to a f450 to allow larger props and bigger batteries, everything I have got for the phantom will easily transfer over to a larger frame when I need it.

Gizmo3000 said:
DJI has changed the figures and has upped the recommended payload.

while not the most ideal platform, the Phantom still has the same motors as the F450 and is capable of lifting the Zenmuse gimbal no problem (with 6 minute flight times).
But I definitely imagine that the F450 might offer a more stable platform to shoot from, with the wider prop distance.

martcerv said:
The phantom was originaly 1000g and dji have upped this figure to 1200g. 2000g would be way too much weight for the phantom using a 2200mah 3s battery and 8 inch props. It would lift it but use lots of power and would drop out of the sky pretty fast once you ru low on battery. Im not sure what my setup is atm but I assume around 1200g with batt, fpv, mount, camera and filter. No gimbal yet as I am currently undecided on which one to get. My setup using stock props is still not too bad but I tried some 8x5 graupner clone carbon props and these had much less lift and struggled even with a phantom on its own. If your running a heavy phantom make sure the props your using have the same lift or greater the stock props.

Think using the dji gimbal my setup would end up much the same weight as I am at now, my anti jello mount is quite big so replacing this with the gimabl and its own mount plus you most likely cant use filters on it so total weight would be similar though battery drain will be higher with the gimbal using some of the capacity.

I will likely upgrade my setup to a f450 to allow larger props and bigger batteries, everything I have got for the phantom will easily transfer over to a larger frame when I need it.

Thanks Guys for your replies. I laughed when I saw that I had put the max weight at 2000g as I imagined the arms ripping off of the phantom in mid flight! LOL! I was thinking the same as you both that the F450 might be the next logical upgrade. Its good to hear that DJI upped the weight limit to 1200g like the F330. Hopefully the shell can handle the extra weight. Anyhow thanks again for your input.

-Y

I'm a bit curious what the total weight is on the H3 2d, including the components that go inside the shell as well.
will someone who gets one put everything together on a scale and weight it?

"I realize it would equal less flight time, but I keep reading about stress fractures on the Phantom shell at the motor mounts which wouldn't be so much of a problem if you could actually buy a replacement shell."

You can buy shells. Painting my new shell as we speak.

$59.00 before shipping on eBay.

All these different things that add weight to the Phantom, makes me laugh, just get a bigger quad that is designed to have all these gimbals, etc, or just buy the vision, the Phantom itself is not made for this sort of thing, and you start getting poor flight times and not as stable, it is just as stupid as some putting a gopro camera on the AR Drone.

Gizmo3000 said:
I'm a bit curious what the total weight is on the H3 2d, including the components that go inside the shell as well.

My Phantom is at 1121 grams with Zenmuse Gimbal, Fatshark transmitter with Fatshark Spiro antenna and dji phantom battery

Flight time is around 8 min. in windy conditions ( 7 -8 metres per second )

I thought it was interesting to see that the company raised the maximum load capacity by changing the website. I wonder if that works for Boeing as well?

;)

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Moonglider said:
Gizmo3000 said:

My Phantom is at 1121 grams with Zenmuse Gimbal, Fatshark transmitter with Fatshark Spiro antenna and dji phantom battery

Flight time is around 8 min. in windy conditions ( 7 -8 metres per second )

To heavy, in my opinion, your better off with a bigger quad if you want extra stuff.

The DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal is another milestone in gimbal innovation, which is designed for the GoPro Hero3. With its high precision, high stability, lightweight, plug and play features, it is widely used in film and television productions, advertising aerial photography, etc. Even if the aircraft is in high-speed flight, it can still stabilize and control the GoPro camera precisely with the highest stability. The precision of control angle is within the range of ±0.08°, so picture or video output can reach the best quality.

DJI H3-2D Zenmuse 2-axis Gimbal for GoPro will be available soon. The 2-axis version supports pitch and roll stabilization control.

Jenniar said:
The DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal is another milestone in gimbal innovation, which is designed for the GoPro Hero3. With its high precision, high stability, lightweight, plug and play features, it is widely used in film and television productions, advertising aerial photography, etc. Even if the aircraft is in high-speed flight, it can still stabilize and control the GoPro camera precisely with the highest stability. The precision of control angle is within the range of ±0.08°, so picture or video output can reach the best quality.

DJI H3-2D Zenmuse 2-axis Gimbal for GoPro will be available soon. The 2-axis version supports pitch and roll stabilization control.

Sure, but will still be best with a decent size quad. I think the Phantom being small is far from the ideal platform.

tmcgowan said:
I thought it was interesting to see that the company raised the maximum load capacity by changing the website. I wonder if that works for Boeing as well?

;)

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Todd, you hit it on the head! I figured it was a bit of a marketing ploy to get people to buy the gimbal for the phantom. Unfortunately, not everyone can go out and buy a better rig so I'll just have to save my pennies until I can or invest in something else. DJI doesn't seem to respond to customers with problems so what does it matter to them who they sell it to? They would sell it to my grandma to hook onto her zimmer frame if they knew they could make a profit. :-( As is all too common these days, I think their motto is to make as much money as they can, ignore their customers, screw their employees and focus on pleasing their shareholders as well lining their pockets until the brand name has no more clout and then re-brand! Oh well. Thats the way things are these days, but customers can take their money elsewhere too! :)

-Y

Is anybody seriously consideirng upgrading to a F450? I'm thining of doing it and there are a couple options:

1. Take the components from the Phantom and transplant them into a F450 flame wheel. I'm not sure what exactly the upgrade is on this besides a sturdier frame, and wider prop distance. Can we replace the stock phantom ESCs with 30A so we can use bigger batteries + bigger props?

2. Buy a new F450 frame and components, and sell Phantom. Or buy both F550 with required parts, then just buy a F450 frame? You could swap the components between the F550 and F450 pretty easily?

Honestly, I'm not sure what the best option is. I'm guessing with (1) there are limitations to what type of battery we could use - would it fry the inside components? I heard the Phantom is only rated up to 3S.

I love the Phantom but with my current load (FPV + gimbal + H3B + OSD), I'm getting ~5 minutes of flight time. I'd love to get double that or in the low teens if possible? Can the F450 do that?

I run a Tarot brushless gimbal on a stock phantom, with a gopro be. As others have said, flight times down to 6 mins to be safe and much reducedreate of climb etc. Still useful, but definately pushing the limitation of the Phantom. Has anyone tried stripping a Phantom and putting the components into an f450 clone frame?

howardmaryon said:
I run a Tarot brushless gimbal on a stock phantom, with a gopro be. As others have said, flight times down to 6 mins to be safe and much reducedreate of climb etc. Still useful, but definately pushing the limitation of the Phantom. Has anyone tried stripping a Phantom and putting the components into an f450 clone frame?

yes, there are a number of people that have done that.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1873760

denodan said:
All these different things that add weight to the Phantom, makes me laugh, just get a bigger quad that is designed to have all these gimbals, etc, or just buy the vision, the Phantom itself is not made for this sort of thing, and you start getting poor flight times and not as stable, it is just as stupid as some putting a gopro camera on the AR Drone.

Now actually you made me laugh a bit because the Vision is actually exactly the same as the old Phantom, the same 35cm, the same motors etc.. only bigger propellers, so why on earth should somebody buy a vision if he can have a Phantom 1.1.1 with a gimbal,Gopro3 black,FPV, Mini iOSD,2700mah etc.. This weights less then the phantom vision, just add the vision props and you will have a better handling quadcopter, the only downside is flightime of 11 minutes against 25, in every other point the Vision is inferior. So please think before you write.

The phantom was originaly 1000g and dji have upped this figure to 1200g

do you have a link for your claim, i cant find anything on the website, it says under 1000g?

What makes me laugh is that you responded to a four month old post that was made before the Phantom was even announced let alone even mentioned in the post you are now replying to.

who cares if it was announced back then or not, the fact is you said totally wrong things because the Phantom Vision actually proves that, its the same size and use the same motors, just bigger props and can lift alot more then 1000g. So your argument was just plain wrong in both ways. You said the phantom cant lift much and its not build for that which is wrong and then give the tip to buy a vision instead, which is the same copter with bigger battery and larger props

Where did I make any of those claims?

ok, you told me this
"What makes me laugh is that you responded to a four month old post that was made before the Phantom was even announced let alone even mentioned in the post you are now replying"

Im not exactly sure what you mean with this but the phantom was anounced a long time before (Phantom1) and i wrote the comment to a guy that said the phantom is not suited for modding or to pack more weight on it, he said something like that"buy a 450 or a Vision instead", right? I say the Phantom 1 can be packed with some weight because the Phantom Vision is the same copter, same motors, same size.. just larger props and a larger lipo. So yes, this made me laugh because its just plain wrong! I hope this clears this case once and for all.

hi, interesting discussion. just purchased my first phantom here. i have put together other quad frames before. 220, 320, 450. what attracts me to the 300+ size is the portability and the fact that i can fpv in tighter spaces. now i have a phantom, this i though was the best time to buy one because its way cheaper now. $440 and has many upgrades already installed. its never gonna replace the functionality of a 450+ quad. but its portable. easy to carry. grab and go with the self tightening screw on blades and is pleasant to the eye and less menacing, in some situations this is a plus. anyway i installed a zenmuse and im also concerned about the weight. have not had a chance to fly due to weather but i will definitely be looking at ways to reduce my weight if i get under 10min flightime. i weigh it and im already at 1090g without the gimbal and gopro. looking at the vision and the new phantom 2 they use new heavy load props so i will try to combine that with a dual battery setup.
im guessing in time i will just upgrade to the phantom 2 once thats gone down or just retrofit parts like the electronic board which removes the need for pmu making it lighter. yikes, this is a long post. my first on this forum.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.