Phantom and Power lines don't mix!!

Reaction score
So I was flying near some HUGE power lines as I usually do ...on 3.06 and my phantom decided it wanted to tear into some tree limbs without my permission... cut a few of them up and was pretty stable flying till I guess one of the props got chipped and it plummeted about 35ft all it did was bend the prop guards second save with them...and the tree limbs chipped the prop ...needless to say that was my last set hence why I have been curious about the new props coming out and it seems everyone that has them for normal price are out of stock. Anyone else have major issues with your phantom having a mind of it's own b/c of electrical interference? I wish I would have got the video but I guess when it start eating limbs the video cut out...that was sad I wanted to see the shredding LOL

Finding it really REALLY depends on what frequencies at which the power lines are resonating how much they affect the Phantom. As their electro-magnetic frequency get closer to the TX, probably the further away you want to stay.

But, be careful, because those frequencies change (especially in the higher capacity lines) depending on load. So a power line that you had no trouble flying next to one day MAY actually be problematic some other day.

A lot of assumptions 'radiating' around here.

Virtually all power-line noise is caused by a spark or arcing across some power-line related hardware. A breakdown and ionization of air occurs, and current flows between two conductors in a gap. The gap may be caused by broken, improperly installed or loose hardware.

N017RW said:

Virtually all power-line noise is caused by a spark or arcing across some power-line related hardware. A breakdown and ionization of air occurs, and current flows between two conductors in a gap. The gap may be caused by broken, improperly installed or loose hardware.

Sorry N017RW, but what that quote from ARRL is talking about there is actual, audible noise. Audible noise isn't really what interferes with radio equipment (although it can). Interference mainly comes from the electro-magnetic radiation that comes off of all electrical equipment, including power lines (not just at "broken, improperly installed or loose hardware") and is not caused by a spark or arc... it's caused essentially by the friction and shedding of the energized particles flowing through the wire. The more energy flowing through the wire, the more powerful the Electro-Magnetic Field (EMF). And, typically, you can vary the frequency of the EMF by increasing or decreasing the voltage and amperage over the line.

Get a powerful enough EMF, radiating off of the power line at the right frequency, and it will interfere with radio systems such as the Phantom (within a given vicinity).

I have high tension power lines that I fly over and under on my property and have no problems with my Fc40.

Again, "be careful, because [the EMF frequencies coming off the lines] change depending on load. So a power line that you had no trouble flying next to one day MAY actually be problematic some other day."

And... that's some pretty cool video, Tigelaar!

ProfessorStein said:
N017RW said:

Sorry N017RW, but what that quote from ARRL is talking about there is actual, audible noise. Audible noise isn't really what interferes with radio equipment (although it can). Interference mainly comes from the electro-magnetic radiation that comes off of all electrical equipment, including power lines (not just at "broken, improperly installed or loose hardware") and is not caused by a spark or arc... it's caused essentially by the friction and shedding of the energized particles flowing through the wire. The more energy flowing through the wire, the more powerful the Electro-Magnetic Field (EMF). And, typically, you can vary the frequency of the EMF by increasing or decreasing the voltage and amperage over the line.

Get a powerful enough EMF, radiating off of the power line at the right frequency, and it will interfere with radio systems such as the Phantom (within a given vicinity).

I'm not sure you read the same article I did...

Earlier in the article it reads (emphasis added):
"Power-line noise can interfere with radio communications and broadcasting. Essentially, the power-lines or associated hardware improperly generate unwanted radio signals that override or compete with desired radio signals. Power-line noise can impact radio and television reception -- including cable TV head-end pick-up and Internet service. Disruption of radio communications, such as amateur radio, can also occur. Loss of critical communications, such as police, fire, military and other similar users of the radio spectrum can result in even more serious consequences."

Thank you for reminding me to cite my source - http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise

I apologize and strive to always do so.

I think if others read it they may have a different interpretation than yours.

Yes. I think we're speaking the same language, and interpreting everything the same... we're just talking about two different things.

What ARRL is talking about is Power Line Noise. This is typically the audible cracks and cackles you hear from the conductors and connectors. And it's usually caused when there is a fault in the equipment. It actually makes noise, and, as I said, can disrupt communication signals. And can be fixed.

But EMF, on the other hand, is simply a natural occurrence off of transmission lines, and is the leading cause of radio interference. There's no way to fix EMF radiation, other than lots and lots of shielding, which is completely impractical for power lines.

I agree to disagree.
Please cite a reference for your claims.

pencilcoil said:
What do you mean be near? 50 feet or 500 feet?

Was about 50ft away maybe it was just an isolated thing or something else caused some interference either way I needed to order some new props :D Just pushed me to get an extra set until the 9450's are in stock somewhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj