Phantom 5 Leaks

One immediate benefit to starting off with a freshly formatted volume is a virtual guarantee that new files get written contiguously.
This is an interesting point. Does a "quick format" guarantee subsequent contiguous writes? Or do you need to do a full format of the SD card to guarantee contiguous writes?

It's apparent that formatting the SD in the craft is a simple "quick format", hence the question.

I'd be much more concerned about the hardware load while writing and reading countless gigabytes of .MOV files.
I don't think we need to worry about wearing out the flash with too many writes in our application. All SD cards are MLC (multi-level charge) type flash devices. These are targeted for consumer applications and have a write durability of about 10,000 writes to each cell. When flying, you can only write to each cell once if you filled the card. If you were to wear out a cell, the auto wear leveling of the device's flash controller will quarantine that sector so it cannot be used anymore. These quarantines will prevent contiguous writes naturally, but the card will still work find, the flaw will be transparent to the user. To wear out an SD card in our application, you'd have to fly more than 8000 times to even come close to wearing out an SD card with natural wear. It's true flash cards can fail for other reasons, but cell wear isn't one of them since we'll never fly our craft that many times with the same card.

Reactions: Bad Andy
Concerning SD cards, I rely solely on Sandisk' 64G Extreme Pro. I always have back-up cards in case my forgetfulness strikes and I didn't empty it prior to the flight.
I thought long time about purchasing a portable HDD drive that can be used to empty SD cards on field, but I am not very convinced: HDD's are very fragile and too risky to use on field...
You are using the same cards I am. You can even forget to format in the aircraft twice and still have enough room for continuous video throughout an additional 24 minute flight. Very forgiving and fast for downloading to your computer later. There are several completely self contained portable HDD drives designed for off loading microSD and SD cards in the field. They work well, but buying additional 64GB Extreme Pro cards on sale at $25 each is far cheaper and will have more capacity, in a tiny space! :cool:

This is an interesting point. Does a "quick format" guarantee subsequent contiguous writes? Or do you need to do a full format of the SD card to guarantee contiguous writes?

It's apparent that formatting the SD in the craft is a simple "quick format", hence the question.
Neither a quick format or a full format are a complete guarantee of contiguous files because the aircraft is writing other data to the card as well. But it should help.

A quick format just writes new tables for the file directory and indexes (simple terms - IT nerds don't jump on me here) but leaves the previously written files intact on the card. This makes zero difference as to the order in which new files' segments are written - the system doesn't look at what was there before writing. But it could make file recovery more entertaining depending on how you came about needing recovery because it could leave extraneous markers in place.

Neither a quick format or a full format are a complete guarantee of contiguous files because the aircraft is writing other data to the card as well. But it should help.

A quick format just writes new tables for the file directory and indexes (simple terms - IT nerds don't jump on me here) but leaves the previously written files intact on the card. This makes zero difference as to the order in which new files' segments are written - the system doesn't look at what was there before writing. But it could make file recovery more entertaining depending on how you came about needing recovery because it could leave extraneous markers in place.
All the DJI gurus, including Bladestrike, Tahoe Ed, and Mad_Angler, strongly recommend formatting the microSD card in the aircraft, which is a 2 second quick format. That's good enough for me! :cool:

Reactions: Mark The Droner
recommend formatting the microSD card in the aircraft, which is a 2 second quick format.
Don't forget the 3 seconds to find the menu option! 5 seconds if your using Android. Hah!
I prefer to do all the SD cleaning at home before I fly, one less thing to forget in the field. If by chance I do forget, I can always format in the craft in the field as backup. I carry an assortment of 32 and 64GB SD cards in a waterproof holder, shown below. All cards I carry are CLEAN, ready to record, but that's just me. I never carry cards with data on them. If I didn't have clean cards in the field it would be easy to mix up new video with old. I'd hate for format a card in the field by accident that had new video I just took, so I never format in the field. I really need to see the video to make sure, right before I delete the file. Carrying clean cards in the field is the safe way to go for me. During my 9 days in Hawaii next week I'm sure I will use all my cards. My laptop is where my backup occurs. Sometimes I'll play the video on the hotel room TV via HDMI from my laptop, but it struggles with 4K. VLC or MPC players are too much for my Lenovo T440s with 4K.

upload_2017-12-31_22-1-38.png

Don't forget the 3 seconds to find the menu option! 5 seconds if your using Android. Hah!
I prefer to do all the SD cleaning at home before I fly, one less thing to forget in the field. If by chance I do forget, I can always format in the craft in the field as backup. I carry an assortment of 32 and 64GB SD cards in a waterproof holder, shown below. All cards I carry are CLEAN, ready to record, but that's just me. I never carry cards with data on them. If I didn't have clean cards in the field it would be easy to mix up new video with old. I'd hate for format a card in the field by accident that had new video I just took, so I never format in the field. I really need to see the video to make sure, right before I delete the file. Carrying clean cards in the field is the safe way to go for me. During my 9 days in Hawaii next week I'm sure I will use all my cards. My laptop is where my backup occurs. Sometimes I'll play the video on the hotel room TV via HDMI from my laptop, but it struggles with 4K. VLC or MPC players are too much for my Lenovo T440s with 4K.

View attachment 92863
Nothing else to do while waiting for the satellite count to reach enough satellites to record the Home Point. Not recommending carrying cards containing data. Just following the sage guru advice to always format in the aircraft, whether you do it at home, or in the field. Anyone having issues with card corruption would be wise to do the same. ;) Used cards with uncopied video are always inserted in the card wallet upside down. No confusion that way. :cool:

---Quote (Originally by Mad_angler1)---
"I would always format in the craft, Formatting on CS is relying on Android OS to do it, to a point this is out side of DJI hands as this is a base OS feature, while it should be fine I would not trust it one minute and have also had issues with cards formatted on my Mac even in FAT. Format on the craft is a must as it loads the correct folders."

Last edited:
---Quote (Originally by Mad_angler1)---
"I would always format in the craft, Formatting on CS is relying on Android OS to do it, to a point this is out side of DJI hands as this is a base OS feature, while it should be fine I would not trust it one minute and have also had issues with cards formatted on my Mac even in FAT. Format on the craft is a must as it loads the correct folders."
I'm not gonna argue with sage guru advice, but...

When the craft sees a card freshly formatted in a compatible filesystem, it happily just creates the folder structure and files it requires. Pretty much every digital camera in creation does that unless you have something that dates back to when half a megapixel made you the undisputed king of digicam owners.

The challenge is trusting the person at the controls of the computer or tablet or whatever to make sure the choice of filesystem is correct. It must be FAT32. Not exFAT, not FAT16, and you may not be making a safe assumption that "FAT" is actually FAT32.

Sometimes the operating system can get in the way of success. Sometimes the size of the card can also be a problem, depending on whether either one allows you the option of using FAT32 with larger cluster sizes to accommodate a very large card.

If DJI's aircraft/cameras do not understand FAT32 with a larger than default cluster size, that is something that I do not know. Limitations on adaptability to cluster size may have something to do with why some aircraft won't accept cards over a certain size. But as filesystems go FAT32 is very straightforward and the platform on which a storage device was formatted should make no difference.

All that said, formatting in the aircraft handily removes variables for you.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I prefer to format my SD cards with FAT32 on the computer I need to read the cards with. This guarantees I can read them to copy, if the drone can write to them. If the drone can't write to FAT32 formatted SDs, I have bigger problems. This also proves interoperability between my computer and drone. So far this hasn't been a problem in 2.5yrs and two computers. It's also more convenient for my workflow. I prefer being able to see the video I'm deleting, right before I delete it off the card.
General recommendations from DJI are just that, general by nature, and good to advise, given all the format possibilities that consumers can muster, such as formatting in a TV :D or playstation. I put this in the same category as DJI's "recommendation" to not charge the RC and flight battery at the same time, that advice being hidden in the FAQs page, and not stated in the manual, so it's not important IMO, but that's just me. I know it works fine. It's also recommended I fly VLOS. :rolleyes:

I prefer to format my SD cards with FAT32 on the computer I need to read the cards with. This guarantees I can read them to copy, if the drone can write to them. If the drone can't write to FAT32 formatted SDs, I have bigger problems. This also proves interoperability between my computer and drone. So far this hasn't been a problem in 2.5yrs and two computers. It's also more convenient for my workflow. I prefer being able to see the video I'm deleting, right before I delete it off the card.
General recommendations from DJI are just that, general by nature, and good to advise, given all the format possibilities that consumers can muster, such as formatting in a TV :D or playstation. I put this in the same category as DJI's "recommendation" to not charge the RC and flight battery at the same time, that advice being hidden in the FAQs page, and not stated in the manual, so it's not important IMO, but that's just me. I know it works fine. It's also recommended I fly VLOS. :rolleyes:
I would hardly put the collective wisdom of DJI Bladestrike/Ken and DJI Tahoe Ed and Mad_Angler1 in the same category as "advice hidden in the FAQs page" that you disagree with. Your preferences and conveniences are yours alone, and should not be taken as recommendations for all others, who would be far better advised to simply format the cards in the aircraft, as DJI intended. :cool:

If the card is greater than 32gig you would want to be using exFAT.

For the time it takes I format pre takeoff as a matter of course- way I see it if the AC camera performed the format it won’t have any issues writing to the SD.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If the card is greater than 32gig you would want to be using exFAT.

For the time it takes I format pre takeoff as a matter of course- way I see it if the AC camera performed the format it won’t have any issues writing to the SD.
Exactly! Proves the point! Formatting in the aircraft will automatically use the correct format type needed by the aircraft, based upon the card size inserted! :cool:

Ummmm PHANTOM 5 stuff anyone?
I format in my... just kidding.

I still think the larger Mavic Pro design is the best way to go. I don't know which birds are DJI's best sellers, but I'm guessing it is the Mavic Pro line. If so, I can only see that should be the direction of the next Phantom IF they even continue the Phantom line.

Even though I'm happy with the performance of my P4, I can't get over the the cracking airframe problem. It should last almost indefinitely while flying level-headed and without crashes...but it didn't for me and many others.

The P4's styrofoam case isn't awful in size, but I believe making the next Phantom/pro-sumer bird should be as portable as possible, but still have a better camera than the P4P and be more stable than the current Mavic Pro in high winds.

To me, that comes down to the next Phantom being just a little larger Mavic Pro...unless their desire for a 360 degree camera just won't work in that design. A bottom centered camera design may be the only way to get that option if they go that way, but if they do, hopefully it folds and is manufactured with Mavic Pro materials.

I just saw a story on the internet that the Phantom 5 will have a Hasselblad film camera option. I would love to have the option of taking world class aerial photographs, but I'm hoping the film back is interchangeable with a digital back. We will see.:D

Last edited:
I just saw a story on the internet that the Phantom 5 will have a Hasselblad film camera option. I would love to have the option of taking world class aerial photographs, but I'm hoping the film back is interchangeable with a digital back. We will see.:D
That's pretty funny. No way film will be use in a Phantom, not even as an option. DJI isn't in the habit of making products that don't sell. Do you have a link to that article?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94