Phantom 5 Leaks

Last edited:
I would hardly put the collective wisdom of DJI Bladestrike/Ken and DJI Tahoe Ed and Mad_Angler1 in the same category as "advice hidden in the FAQs page" that you disagree with. Your preferences and conveniences are yours alone, and should not be taken as recommendations for all others, who would be far better advised to simply format the cards in the aircraft, as DJI intended. :cool:
There are many aspects to flying DJI gear for which I would respect the advice of those guys, but there are some things they are not experts on.
Re formatting, I think they are just being cautious about something they don't have expertise in and continuing a forum myth.
If you don't know, it's easier to suggest only formatting in the Phantom.
But in fact it makes no difference.
I always format my cards in the computer after copying the images.
I do it many times a week and haven't observed any adverse effects.
Neither have I heard of anyone else having problems because they formatted outside the Phantom.
If the Phantom didn't like the card as formatted, it's going to tell you and you can format again in the Phantom anyway.

Reactions: OOO and John Locke
There are many aspects to flying DJI gear for which I would respect the advice of those guys, but there are some things they are not experts on.
Re formatting, I think they are just being cautious about something they don't have expertise in and continuing a forum myth.
If you don't know, it's easier to suggest only formatting in the Phantom.
But in fact it makes no difference.
I always format my cards in the computer after copying the images.
I do it many times a week and haven't observed any adverse effects.
Neither have I heard of anyone else having problems because they formatted outside the Phantom.
If the Phantom didn't like the card as formatted, it's going to tell you and you can format again in the Phantom anyway.
Agreed. However, as others have pointed out above, formatting in the computer can cause problems if people don't know what they are doing, especially if they try to apply a FAT32 format to a 64GB card. There are also issues associated with formatting in Mac computers. I also have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card that was formatted in a Linux computer, which was then deliberately reformatted without an error message in my P4P. The video also "recorded" without any error message, but was later unrecoverable. So, the Phantom's "dislike" of the card as formatted, even after reformatting in the aircraft, was not communicated, and the video was lost because the card was previously formatted in a computer. YMMV.

Last edited:
DJI’s acquisition of a minority stake in Hasselblad Group is the best thing that could have happened for those interested in DJI as an aerial platform going forward. Hasselblad has always been the Rolls Royce of cameras and lenses. I look forward to this acquisition trickling down to even better cameras and lenses in the prosumer end of the product line, like a potential P5, which has unfortunately already been discontinued. :p

Last edited:
That's a good feature, didn't know that. I believe the craft only formats in one format. Do we know which one? I would assume P4P only offers FAT32 when formatting a card for legacy support.
The card is formatted in the aircraft with the correct format based upon the card size inserted.

That's pretty funny. No way film will be use in a Phantom, not even as an option. DJI isn't in the habit of making products that don't sell. Do you have a link to that article?
I was just being goofy like the statement above about the P5 being discontinued. The idea, though, came from DJI purchasing Hasselblad coupled with peoples’ hopes and desires related to the P5.

Strangely, there may even be a market for something like that since there is a movement toward vinyl recordings and film. However, it would never happen, but stranger things...

DJI’s acquisition of a minority stake in Hasselblad Group is the best thing that could have happened for those interested in DJI as an aerial platform going forward. Hasselblad has always been the Rolls Royce of cameras and lenses. I look forward to this acquisition trickling down to even better cameras and lenses in the prosumer end of the product line, like a potential P5.:cool:
I think you'll have to buy an M600 to use a Hasselblad very soon.

I was just being goofy like the statement above about the P5 being discontinued. The idea, though, came from DJI purchasing Hasselblad coupled with peoples’ hopes and desires related to the P5.

Strangely, there may even be a market for something like that since there is a movement toward vinyl recordings and film. However, it would never happen, but stranger things...
But, wait! I was completely serious about the P5 being discontinued! ;)

Reactions: OOO and ftttu
I think you'll have to buy an M600 to use a Hasselblad very soon.
Indeed! That's why we will have to wait for the trickle down to the prosumer line! To improve the cameras and lenses, DJI has gone from attached GoPro's, to a micro four-thirds Sony sensor, to actually buying a minority stake in Hasselblad! I certainly like the direction they are taking for photography! :cool:

Indeed! That's why we will have to wait for the trickle down to the prosumer line! To improve the cameras and lenses, DJI has gone from attached GoPro's, to a micro four-thirds Sony sensor, to actually buying a minority stake in Hasselblad! I certainly like the direction they are taking for photography! :cool:
Maybe the investment gets DJI closer to the inside rail with Fuji in getting lens and other camera specific design expertise.

I also have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card that was formatted in a Linux computer, which was then deliberately reformatted without an error message in my P4P. The video also "recorded" without any error message, but was later unrecoverable. So, the Phantom's "dislike" of the card as formatted, even after reformatting in the aircraft, was not communicated, and the video was lost because the card was previously formatted in a computer.
Maybe the DJI format failed. A successful format would write over previous tables. If that format failed to complete properly in the craft, you would likely have issues. DJI not liking the previous format is far fetched IMO, as it's irrelevant when it writes over the previous. It's more likely a glitch in the DJI formatting, which can happen at any time on any card with any platform. This is one of the reasons I don't always reformat, it's a little higher risk of something messing up. I simply delete the video files upon transfer to my computer, and use the previous format that worked. But that shouldn't be done too many times, as performance can be impaired if simply deleting video files is done too often, versus reformatting which is optimal.

Thanks for the correction. :)

Interesting that DJI lists the max card size as 64GB for the P3, given exFAT support.
Interesting why? They list whatever the product was tested with during development- it might be that’s what the camera manufacturer told them.

Does exFAT even work on DJI products? They mention it (DJI marketing B.S. perhaps?), but I still only get 4GB video files where exFAT was supposed to get rid of the FAT32 4GB limit? Maybe it works with the SSD cards in the Inspire 2 but I don't know. The drop of a few frames in FAT32 always bugs me if the file rolls over.

Maybe the investment gets DJI closer to the inside rail with Fuji in getting lens and other camera specific design expertise.
All improvements in lens and camera specific design expertise will be welcome. They are already amazing on the P4P! :cool:

Does exFAT even work on DJI products? They mention it (DJI marketing B.S. perhaps?), but I still only get 4GB video files where exFAT was supposed to get rid of the FAT32 4GB limit? Maybe it works with the SSD cards in the Inspire 2 but I don't know. The drop of a few frames in FAT32 always bugs me if the file rolls over.
The 4gig limitation isnt file system related. Many cameras have the same restriction, including the popular GH4 and GoPro models.

There are NO frame drops on the P4P using exFAT when the file rolls over. :D

Maybe the DJI format failed. A successful format would write over previous tables. If that format failed to complete properly in the craft, you would likely have issues. DJI not liking the previous format is far fetched IMO, as it's irrelevant when it writes over the previous. It's more likely a glitch in the DJI formatting, which can happen at any time on any card with any platform. This is one of the reasons I don't always reformat, it's a little higher risk of something messing up. I simply delete the video files upon transfer to my computer, and use the previous format that worked. But that shouldn't be done too many times, as performance can be impaired if simply deleting video files is done too often, versus reformatting which is optimal.
I only cited that incident to respond to Meta4's statements, "Neither have I heard of anyone else having problems because they formatted outside the Phantom. If the Phantom didn't like the card as formatted, it's going to tell you and you can format again in the Phantom anyway.."
It can and has caused problems for me. I'll never do it again. No need to. Quick formatting in the aircraft over the last format in the aircraft works perfectly every time over the last 3 years with over two dozen DJI aircraft . Formatting anywhere else has the potential to lead to problems, as I learned the hard way. :cool:

All improvements in lens and camera specific design expertise will be welcome. They are already amazing on the P4P! :cool:
Who knows- we might even get a lens on the next generation camera that projects a large enough image circle to fully illuminate the sensor without gross corner distortion.

Reactions: OOO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72