Phantom 5 Leaks

He didn't draw 4 lenses if you look closely its just been cloned & pasted.
I think it's an effective and unambiguous method of getting the point across, visually, that it's 4 different lenses. Now, wait and see if there's actually a planned release behind these cave drawings.

Having studied Graphic Arts I can tell you that's what an illustrator does.
It's more immersive than Bullet items.

Does your opinion of this have anything to do with whether or not you believe this alleged 'leak'?

That’s exactly what I’m saying. I seriously doubt the person who drew this was looking to be artistic.

For those that do not know, a very similar drawing of the X7 camera was released some time before the actual X7 camera was released.

I think this is great news and better than any other rumors I have heard. Better camera, OA on the top and water resistant. Could not ask for anything more except no tilted horizon, ever.

But that 1 inch sensor will still hold nothing against the X5S/X7. Inspire users should have nothing to feel cheated about. The P4P should hold up nicely as well. If the lenses are not much superior.

I'm confused about what the hoax is. Is it true that there will be a Phantom 5 with interchangeable lenses? If that's true and that's the only change that would be awesome.
The hoax is in post #13.
It's been pushed around for much of the year.
The sketches and photo that are the topic of this thread appear to be very credible.

If P5 does have swap-able lenses and that's all, I'm not sure it will sell very well. Professionals may like it, and can afford it, but I would expect the masses with P4Ps already will hesitate. The improved camera will likely push the selling price closer to $1800, maybe $2000. Add batteries and your at $2500. I will be disappointed if the P5 doesn't include:

1. Sinusoidal ESCs for better battery efficiency (like Mavic Platinum)
2. Quieter props (like Mavic Platinum)
3. 360 rotating camera and retracts (as shown by Autel at CES in their 350mm craft)
4. 99W battery, adding a little more battery power than P4P, but still legal to carry-on as many batteries as you want on a plane.
5. Offline mode, guaranteeing no data is collected by DJI (they offer this in their high end drones today).
6. A gimbal that doesn't flip during wind or high speed flying
7. Ocu-Sync communications, so multiple display receivers can independently see the FPV view (like Mavic), via wireless.
8. Carbon fiber shell, so the cracks go away.

Frankly I would be happy with the current P4P camera and buy a P5 if it had the above 8 features in my "wish list".
Prepare to be disappointed...;)

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Depending on the price tag, I will most likely purchase one.
I felt exactly the same way when I learned the McClaren S1 was going into production a few years ago. Sadly, while they only made 50 or so of 'em, I found myself $1.85m USD short (emissions).

If the price comes down and they start another production run, count me in!

:>O

I felt exactly the same way when I learned the McClaren S1 was going into production a few years ago. Sadly, while they only made 50 or so of 'em, I found myself $1.85m USD short (emissions).

If the price comes down and they start another production run, count me in!

:>O

Should have held out for a Bugatti Chiron for $2.8 million. Bugatti Chiron - Car and Driver

Some tire shop guy was telling me the tires run about $11K and only last 3,000 miles. At the third change, they need to replace the wheels too and it runs up to $41,000 as they are glued on and stress fatigues them. Oil and standard service was around $21,000.

Should have held out for a Bugatti Chiron for $2.8 million. Bugatti Chiron - Car and Driver

Some tire shop guy was telling me the tires run about $11K and only last 3,000 miles. At the third change, they need to replace the wheels too and it runs up to $41,000 as they are glued on and stress fatigues them. Oil and standard service was around $21,000.
Are they owned by DJI? :p

Prepare to be disappointed...;)
IF "leaked" images of the P5 are what is coming, I'm already disappointed. As I have said before, the. release of another bird from DJI with the same easily cracked airframe is almost criminal. I don't care how good the camera is, how many sensors it has, how many flight modes it has, how fast it is, etc, that airframe needs to go.

I still believe the folding design of the Mavic Pro series is the way to go. Also, to me, the Phantom series should be a strong pro-sumer performer so anyone can get into some commercial venture with a quality product from the get-go. I see the Phantom 5 as being a little larger than the Mavic Pro so that it can support a larger camera and be more wind resistant. It will have a folding, camera forward, battery on top design. I have no desire for a rotating gimbal, but if they want to add that, then great. I still would like to see an internal memory so you can still record when your removable memory is full or you have forgotten it all together.

I don't see DJI releasing a Phantom 5 until "competition" forces them to. There really is no "need" to release anything new until then because the products are already pretty good...except for the cracking P4 airframe.

Reactions: Paul Flaherty
There really is no "need" to release anything new until then because the products are already pretty good
DJI is pretty savvy though. They will most likely continue to release new models since they know many people will dump their current model and get the latest and greatest version.

Reactions: Pharm
DJI is pretty savvy though. They will most likely continue to release new models since they know many people will dump their current model and get the latest and greatest version.
I know you have your pulse on the market way more than I do, but from the viewpoint from a regular Joe hobbyist, there really is no "need" for a totally new Phantom when they already perform so well.

Also, I believe drones and DJI drones in particular, are becoming more mainstream, especially during the holiday buying season. I believe the masses are "discovering" drones during this time, and they are probably finding them more than adequate with no immediate desire for upgraded performance. Therefore, I don't see DJI releasing a new Phantom model other than the incremental ones they have been doing with the Obsidian, the P4P/P4p+, and P4A, especially with no decent competition.

PROVE ME WRONG DJI!!!

Looks like senors all the around. More or less.

I know you have your pulse on the market way more than I do, but from the viewpoint from a regular Joe hobbyist, there really is no "need" for a totally new Phantom when they already perform so well.

Also, I believe drones and DJI drones in particular, are becoming more mainstream, especially during the holiday buying season. I believe the masses are "discovering" drones during this time, and they are probably finding them more than adequate with no immediate desire for upgraded performance. Therefore, I don't see DJI releasing a new Phantom model other than the incremental ones they have been doing with the Obsidian, the P4P/P4p+, and P4A, especially with no decent competition.

PROVE ME WRONG DJI!!!

There's a massive pro-sumer market that wants features the P4P and even Inspire don't have, at a price that isn't as much as an entry level car.

DJI needs to add proper pro-sumer features, not more stupid gimmicks. The things that would make me upgrade to a P5 are:

1. Dual SD cards

1a. Dual SD cards

1b. Dual SD cards

1c. Dual SD cards

2. Zoom lens or interchangable lenses

3. A frame that doesn't put the camera 1mm off the ground, so that take offs can happen from more surfaces

4. A proper controller/flight system like Yuneec's ST16.

5. Integrated prop guards

6. A gimbal that actually points straight and level

7. A gimbal strong enough to work with lens hoods.

8. Longer flight times.

There's a massive pro-sumer market that wants features the P4P and even Inspire don't have, at a price that isn't as much as an entry level car.

DJI needs to add proper pro-sumer features, not more stupid gimmicks. The things that would make me upgrade to a P5 are:

1. Dual SD cards

1a. Dual SD cards

1b. Dual SD cards

1c. Dual SD cards

3. A frame that doesn't put the camera 1mm off the ground, so that take offs can happen from more surfaces

8. Longer flight times.
9. A gimbal designed well enough that it won't flip in the wind, unlike the P4P!

1. Dual SD cards

1a. Dual SD cards

1b. Dual SD cards

1c. Dual SD cards

8. Longer flight times.
Again, if not dual SD cards, then about a gig of internal memory so you're never caught without memory.

If I go 107, I will want something portable, and easy and fast setup, and I would want it easily transportable in cars, on planes, trains, cruise ships, etc. I love the Mavic Pro design, and I almost got a new at Cabelas this last Saturday when they had a Fly More combo at $1,050.00. I'm still holding out for at least 60 fps 4k in the next gen if the P5 is just an incremental upgrade.

I know at least one competitor has a strong zoom(Walkera), but I'm wondering DJI doesn't follow because a strong zoom would be difficult to fly since it is a mass produced hobbyist FPV.

One other feature I'd like is a power inlet so you can run your bird without a battery. Even if it was a dummy batter with an a/c adapter, I'd still like the capability(come on vendors).

Again, if not dual SD cards, then about a gig of internal memory so you're never caught without memory.

If I go 107, I will want something portable, an easy and fast setup, and I would want it easily transportable in cars, on planes, trains, cruise ships, etc.

I know at least one competitor has a strong zoom(Walkera), but I'm wondering DJI doesn't follow because a strong zoom would be difficult to fly since it is a mass produced hobbyist FPV.

One other feature I'd like is a power inlet so you can run your bird without a battery. Even if it was a dummy batter with an a/c adapter, I'd still like the capability(come on vendors).
With a 64GB card, you can forget to reformat twice, before you fill up the card with continuous 4K 60fps video from three batteries. That's my "I forgot the reformat" backup plan! :cool: Best Buy has the 64GB San Disk Extreme Plus microSD cards on sale today for only $25, limit of five per customer!
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-plus-64gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card/9387093.p

Last edited:
With a 64GB card, you can forget to reformat twice, before you fill up the card with continuous 4K 60fps video from three batteries. That's my "I forgot the reformat" backup plan! :cool:
I normally fly with one of my 2 16s I have, but I do have a 124 I got earlier this year. If I go on the road, I use the biggin'. Even so, forgetting a card or a card going bad is a regular occurrence.

I'd like to see an RC similar to a Mavic Pro's, but a little larger so it can easily handle larger tablets. I want telemetry on the RC screen so you can at least fly without phone/tablet with the telemetry displayed. I know an iPad mini will fit, but I want it geared toward them...due to my increasing poor eyesight.

So, camera forward design so prop shadows, props in frame and landing gear in frame are less of a problem. A top/rear mounted battery so larger batteries can be installed, a folding design for quick setup and portability, internal memory so you're never without it, dual SD slots, external power inlet when you want to run your bird without a battery, quiet Mavic Pro Platinum like detachable props for less noise and ease of setup, a larger size than a Mavic Pro so it is more wind resistant and can handle larger cameras, DJI Go app with Litchi like waypoint mission capability unlike the current version where the points have to be recorded by the bird first AND a mission can be planned on a PC like Litchi's mission hub, a 4k 120 fps camera, a minor to moderate optical zoom capability, a detachable camera/gimbal for camera choice and effective sensors on all 6 sides. Now that's my Phantom 5, and not anything like the illustrations I'm seeing from the "leaks."

Surely the concept is now past its sell-by date. If you really want something that has a really good camera, and you're prepared to accept that it's impractical for general international travel, then the Inspire will be the one to chose. Otherwise, it's the Mavic concept every time. And even then, it's only if you are prepared to pay the price because the competition is gaining ground; albeit weak at the moment in the Mavic arena.

The Mi 4K is closing in on the Phantom market because it's a similar size but is more transportable. It folds flat to a hight of 50mm so can be packed in your cabin flight bag on top of your clothes. The software is lacking a little at the moment too but they seem to be working on it. Flight times are good and it's selling at 1/3 of the price of a Phantom. I've just ordered one for less than the cost of a replacement 2.7K Phantom camera!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves