Phantom 4 with Infrared modified camera

Reaction score
Here are my first test flights with the IR modified Phantom 4. The opening documents the process of opening up the camera and at the end a very basic primer on IR. The conversion is reversible by swapping the lens back to stock or some other specialized lens. I do like the appearance of the 4.35mm lens over the stock lens.

Video is not intended to be perfect but rather a proof that it could be done. I know I have searched this board for something similar in the past. It beats strapping a Go Pro or something else onboard.

The lens was purchased through IR-PRO.COM. The conversion took about 30 minutes. Not for the faint of heart when you realize that you couldn't easily have a blind bird if you twisted something too hard. But since I just received my Phantom 4 Pro, this was a way to keep the older bird in the flying stock.

Gary,

What lens did you use? On the 6 Am video, was it totally dark? Have you tried it at night? The reason for the ??? is I really want to do this .

Last edited:
It was pretty dark at the 6am flight. Or at least as dark as it can be in the city. I guess you could get some battery powered IR lights and light up an area and it would be pretty much invisible in the air. I just did the mod this morning, so haven't tried a real night flight since making it. My intent was more daytime photography.

This is the link to the lens and the site I got it from.

irpro-store

That is a interesting store. Do I select the P3, and what are NDVI-7, and IR-Pass ?

I have a Flir R series I have been playing with. Thermal is a interest of mine.

I used the IR-Pass which blocks all visible light out. The NDVI and other options allow visible light in and you use software to create false color images. Think agriculture crop videos.
The P3/P4 use the same lens.

Use the contact form on their site. Sam usually responds within a few hours. Tell him what you want to do and he can guide you down the right path. He got her where I needed to go with it.

Thanks for your help. I'll get a hold of him.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl