phantom 4 vs typhoon h

Seriously the inability to adjust the RTH altitude is a major flaw. I also worry about the limited range and I wonder about glare on the transmitter.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I came real close to getting a TH. In the end though, the range limitations was the real killer. I like to get out and fly, see new territory and explore. You can't do that if you are lucky to barely get 1 mile.

Since you have experience with both birds, what would you recommend to a friend?

There seems to be a lot of PO'd owners in the Yuneec TH forum.
Count me as another one. The H is limited to 12mph in cable cam mode. Wtf?

And it is impossible to fly smoothly at slow speed without modifying controller curves, which cannot be reset to default if you hose the I/O mappings

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CORRECTamundo, you can't change the RTH height, It's fixed at 30' high, which is beyond bizarre to me. Trees grow higher than that. This limited my Q500 flight habits (my first drone), it's inherent to the ST controller Android app from Yuneec. However, if you're flying at 300', it doesn't descend during RTH until it's over the home point. That's the only way to minimize RTH risk.
Yeah, with my Q500+, I'm always quite high when I hit the RTH button, so the 30' high thing doesn't come into play.

That being said, though I like the Yuneec drones a lot, and was thinking about getting the H as my next drone, I've seen several reviews on the P4 vs the H, and I just like the P4 a bit more when it comes to features, and I feel the camera on the P4 is better as well.

I feel this is a VERY solid unbiased comparison, swayed me towards the P4.

Since you have experience with both birds, what would you recommend to a friend?

There seems to be a lot of PO'd owners in the Yuneec TH forum.

I have both birds, DJI and Yuneec, have had the Typhoon H for over a month now.

There are a lot of PO'd owners on the Yuneec forums but a lot on the DJI forums also.

But if I had to do it over I would have not purchased the Typhoon H.

The hex, retractable landing gear and 360 camera where all appealing at first
but once the fad wears off and all of the other deficiencies set in there is
only one way I can answer your question.

I would recommend the Phantom to a friend if they asked!

Reactions: jmkreege

There are a lot of PO'd owners on the Yuneec forums but a lot on the DJI forums also.

In the same boat and totally agree

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's good to know, it's kinda what I was thinking but I've only owned the Typhoon Q500+. What do you think about the handling of the TH? Is it smoother, same, or less predictable than P4?
What about turning the camera left and right on the TH versus yawing the P4 craft to turn the camera, is the TH smoother or easier? I think that turning the camera could be problematic because you aren't seeing where you're going. I often worry about that with my P4 when I fly sideways to capture my subject, instead of flying forward.

When I flew my Q500+, one of my gripes was the pitch control (up & down) of the camera was too fast, there was no way to adjust the pitch speed. Is that the case with TH? Yuneec has this neat idea using a knob to adjust the craft speed, able to adjust response speeds, calling it turtle and rabbit modes. However the turtle mode does not adjust the camera pitch speed also. The Q500 knob doesn't have the graduated speed feature like the Phantom controllers, where the more you push the sprung knob, the faster or slower the camera moves. This lack of camera pitch speed control on the Q500+ made it difficult to produce smooth videos when adjusting up and down pitch angles. It's funny how this small little difference can make such a big difference in the ability to shoot good vids. I'm wondering if they fixed this in the TH.

Last edited:
That's good to know, it's kinda what I was thinking but I've only owned the Typhoon Q500+. What do you think about the handling of the TH? Is it smoother, same, or less predictable than P4?
What about turning the camera left and right on the TH versus turning the yawing the P4 craft to turn the camera, is the TH smoother or easier? I think that turning the camera could be problematic because you aren't seeing where you're going. I often worry about that with my P4 when I fly sideways to capture my subject, instead of flying forward.

When I flew my Q500+, one of my gripes was the pitch control (up & down) of the camera was too fast, there was no way to adjust the pitch speed. Is that the case with TH? Yuneec has this neat idea using a knob to adjust the craft speed, able to adjust response speeds, calling it turtle and rabbit modes. However the turtle mode does not adjust the camera pitch speed also. The TH knob also doesn't have the graduated speed like the Phantom controllers, where the more you push the sprung knob, the faster or slower the camera moves. This lack of camera pitch speed control on the Q500+ made it difficult to produce smooth videos when adjusting up and down pitch angles. It's funny how this small little difference can make such a big difference in the ability to shoot good vids. I'm wondering if they fixed this in the TH.
I have the same problem on the Q500+, the camera pitch is very fast. very difficult to control.

--

What about turning the camera left and right on the TH versus yawing the P4 craft to turn the camera, is the TH smoother or easier? I think that turning the camera could be problematic because you aren't seeing where you're going. I often worry about that with my P4 when I fly sideways to capture my subject, instead of flying forward.

--

When I flew my Q500+, one of my gripes was the pitch control (up & down) of the camera was too fast, there was no way to adjust the pitch speed. Is that the case with TH? Yuneec has this neat idea using a knob to adjust the craft speed, able to adjust response speeds, calling it turtle and rabbit modes. However the turtle mode does not adjust the camera pitch speed also. The Q500 knob doesn't have the graduated speed feature like the Phantom controllers, where the more you push the sprung knob, the faster or slower the camera moves. This lack of camera pitch speed control on the Q500+ made it difficult to produce smooth videos when adjusting up and down pitch angles. It's funny how this small little difference can make such a big difference in the ability to shoot good vids. I'm wondering if they fixed this in the TH.

I would say the H handles the wind better being larger and heavier. The P4 gets bounced around more by the wind but
they both can hold there position good.

The H can operate in team mode like the Inspire so the 360 camera is great in that mode.
Flying by myself I yaw the bird just like my Phantom, just seems easier and what I'm use to.
If you turn the camera on the H and get lost as far as direction you can just flip a switch and camera will automatically face the front.
The H also has a Smart mode switch that will put it in headless mode so pulling back on the stick will always bring it home no matter
what direction its traveling.

Pitch control is still very sensitive, I find myself always over shooting my target, it takes getting use to.

Over all the H is very fun to fly, IMO compared to the P4 it's not as polished in some features like software and no 3rd party App's.
It is a beautiful bird to watch fly however

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Being a new Phantom 4 owner and new to drones, I watched a lot of videos before deciding on the P4. Although Tom can be annoying and a bit of a dork (as many of us can be), I have actually found his YouTube videos helpful enough that I subscribed to his channel. He does some pretty in depth videos on all of the features in the DJI go app, and goes slowly enough and in enough detail that I've learned a lot.

I had the H and it was a nice machine. I loved the ST16 controller with the built in tablet. The machine flew nicely and I really enjoyed the retractable landing gear. It felt very "Inspire-ish" for people like me who cannot afford an actual Inspire.

However, my love for the H quickly diminished once I experienced it's short range capability. That's what did it for me. I returned it and bought my P4. Lightbridge tech is the only way to go.

A lot of talk about how expensive Inspire 1 is vs P4. Prices have gone down significantly in the last months, I bought it new (V2) for under 2K (Eur) when Phantom 4 is close to 1450 Eur.

I would say the H handles the wind better being larger and heavier. The P4 gets bounced around more by the wind but
they both can hold there position good.

The H can operate in team mode like the Inspire so the 360 camera is great in that mode.
Flying by myself I yaw the bird just like my Phantom, just seems easier and what I'm use to.
If you turn the camera on the H and get lost as far as direction you can just flip a switch and camera will automatically face the front.
The H also has a Smart mode switch that will put it in headless mode so pulling back on the stick will always bring it home no matter
what direction its traveling.

Pitch control is still very sensitive, I find myself always over shooting my target, it takes getting use to.

Over all the H is very fun to fly, IMO compared to the P4 it's not as polished in some features like software and no 3rd party App's.
It is a beautiful bird to watch fly however

I have both as well as a P3 and countless other multis and I'm going to be lazy and say that that's about as good of a synopsis as I could have written. I like them both and for different reasons and uses.

The difference in image quality is striking.

And why the F is the Typhoon H camera even out of focus?! That is ridiculous.
Is this common for the model?

Besides that, the dynamic range seems more limited in the Typhoon H, plus a few other downsides with the Typhoon H camera shown in this review/comparison, like low bitrate.

I would never go for the Typhoon H due to the crappy camera alone.

My guess is that the company either lack the photography/videography competence inhouse, making them unable to judge image quality, or simply think they bluntly can fool costumers with marketing.

One of the best ways to judge a drones worth or quality, is visit their specific forum pages, and read what problems those pilots are experiencing, and how they are fixing these concerns. ;-)

No drone is perfect, but some are very close.. Hahaha
Like mine for instance. Winng.

But have a look yourselves.
Typhoon H help
Typhoon H Discussion

RedHotPoker
Do you fly a H Poker? try it before judging I have all the P's and the H and they "all" had their issues at first! Take a look back at the first P4 threads, nothing but whining! My H fly's just fine and I get great video's from it. It's a handful of the bunch, Just like we have on here!o_O

Reactions: WilsonFlyer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20