Phantom 4 RC not fully charging question

Reaction score
As many others are experiencing, my P4 RC is not fully charging. It would only charge to 92% after 2 firmware updates ago. Now, after the last firmware update it only goes to 81-85%.

I called DJI Support today and here is what they recommended:
Refresh the RC software using DJI Assistant. Then try to recharge.

If that didn't work, try a deep discharge/recharge.

Has anyone already tried these proposed resolutions? Did it work? Did it make things worse?

I'm hesitant to try as I don't want to make things worse. My P4 flies well and I still can get a descent charge on my RC. I just would like to get a full RC charge.

Well I may be simply dumb, but I can't see how refreshing FW can impact on charging your remote battery. One is a software issue and the other is essentially independent of that. If that were the case, the charging capacity of the drone batteries would be affected as well. I understand that the drone batteries require to be updated with each FW upgrade but I doubt that has any impact on the charging capacity of the units. My P4 is a year old this week, has gone through the same upgrades as everyone else with no change in the charging cycles or capacity.
Maybe try running the controller down somewhere between 30-50% and charging it back up as far you can get and repeat a couple of times. I have read threads where users have sourced their own replacement battery(s) and changed them out due to not being to buy a genuine DJI replacement.
Maybe time to bring the battery guru to the table @With The Birds...

My RC would not charge beyond 3 lights. But it discharged fast and I could not fly more than two
batteries before it started sounding the low battery beeps. I called DJI and the tech asked me several questions then finally suggested I send it in for diagnosis. Label received and RC mailed July 26,
received by DJI on July 28, and approved on August 1. Received email August 16 that the replacement had been sent by UPS. UPS said the package will arrive tomorrow, August 22.
So it took from July 27 to August 22 to do the turnaround. I do not know yet whether they will
return my original RC or exchange it for another on. I do not care as long as it performs!
Actually, I think this was a pretty good result by DJI and if the RC works well, I will give them
a good grade on this matter. I kept up with the situation by going online several times and then
talking to them a couple of times. The tech said he put a note in to escalate the work. Whether
this had any effect or not, I have no idea. if the RC doesn't work, you will hear more from me. If it
does, then nothing more need be said!

My RC would not charge beyond 3 lights. But it discharged fast and I could not fly more than two
batteries before it started sounding the low battery beeps. I called DJI and the tech asked me several questions then finally suggested I send it in for diagnosis. Label received and RC mailed July 26,
received by DJI on July 28, and approved on August 1. Received email August 16 that the replacement had been sent by UPS. UPS said the package will arrive tomorrow, August 22.
So it took from July 27 to August 22 to do the turnaround. I do not know yet whether they will
return my original RC or exchange it for another on. I do not care as long as it performs!
Actually, I think this was a pretty good result by DJI and if the RC works well, I will give them
a good grade on this matter. I kept up with the situation by going online several times and then
talking to them a couple of times. The tech said he put a note in to escalate the work. Whether
this had any effect or not, I have no idea. if the RC doesn't work, you will hear more from me. If it
does, then nothing more need be said!

Would be curious to know if you run into the same problem with the new RC after a few flights.

Did they charge for the repair? Was it still under warranty?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20