Phantom 4 Pro went AWOL

Reaction score
Hello! I’m not all that experienced with my Phantom 4 Pro. We live in rural Missouri and I was flying within our 235 acre farm. I had taken it out to video our hayfields after bailing. I lost connection and there was a message with the option to have it return to home... I said yes but it DID NOT happen. Oops!! I later found the flight record section and saw where it supposedly crashed? Landed? My question firstly does the GPS accurately show the drone’s location on that flight record or it is more of a general location? Do you have any tips on locating it? I need all the advice I can get.... I’m in a wheelchair so hiking is not my best option. ?

My question firstly does the GPS accurately show the drone’s location on that flight record or it is more of a general location?
This depends upon when you lost signal. If we could see your flight log we can give you a better explanation and location information. Upload your .txt log file from your device you were flying with to the link below and share a link back here to the uploaded file. Instructions are on the link.

Log Viewer

This depends upon when you lost signal. If we could see your flight log we can give you a better explanation and location information. Upload your .txt log file from your device you were flying with to the link below and share a link back here to the uploaded file. Instructions are on the link.

Log Viewer
Are you wanting the “CSV” file? That’s all that I see to export and it says exported to DJIGO/documents but I have no clue where it stores that on my iPad....

Are you wanting the “CSV” file?
That would be a start.....If you were flying with DJI GO...then you should have a .txt flight log......If Flying with Litchi..it is a .csv file on your device.

That would be a start.....If you were flying with DJI GO...then you should have a .txt flight log......If Flying with Litchi..it is a .csv file on your device.
I’m flying with DJIGO and iPad Pro for screen. Where do I find txt output option. Sorry for what might be a dumb question... :).

Did you do a compass calibration before the flight? Did you check you home point?
Flying with some friends they lost their drone. We went to the last listed lat and long and found the drone within a few feet using google maps.
Hope you found it.

Did you do a compass calibration before the flight? Did you check you home point?
Flying with some friends they lost their drone. We went to the last listed lat and long and found the drone within a few feet using google maps.
Hope you found it.
No did not compasss calibrate....
home point did update before flight.
Going to look again today as I was unaware of the find my drone option within the DJI go app. This is definitely turning into a learning experience. Thanks for your feedback.

@amdecker26

Do as Fly Dawg suggested in post #2 and the folks here can most likely put you within feet of your drone. The file is on your ipad and you can upload it from there

FYI: Compass calibration is not needed most flights= nonissue

Last edited:
No did not compasss calibrate....
home point did update before flight.
Going to look again today as I was unaware of the find my drone option within the DJI go app. This is definitely turning into a learning experience. Thanks for your feedback.
I was told by some very knowledgeable people that worked in DJI for years that you should always do a compass calibration any time you change positions. It only takes a min to do and we have never had any problems with any of our drones and we fly a lot for our business.
On a side note, if you didn't have the drone in line of site, there is the thought that a hawk or other bird, could have knocked you out of the sky, since you are in the country. Your data files should show where it was when you lost contact like everyone is saying.

I was told by some very knowledgeable people that worked in DJI for years that you should always do a compass calibration any time you change positions. It only takes a min to do and we have never had any problems with any of our drones and we fly a lot for our business.
On a side note, if you didn't have the drone in line of site, there is the thought that a hawk or other bird, could have knocked you out of the sky, since you are in the country. Your data files should show where it was when you lost contact like everyone is saying.
I have changed positions 800 miles and had no reason to calibrate. You do not have to do a compass calibration unless the app says that you have to. I always check though.

Reactions: D_B
I have changed positions 800 miles and had no reason to calibrate. You do not have to do a compass calibration unless the app says that you have to. I always check though.
Good luck with that. I am going with the guys that worked at DJI and they said to do it. One has probably more drone hours than any other person in the US. They might have a clue. Why not?

Good luck with that. I am going with the guys that worked at DJI and they said to do it. One has probably more drone hours than any other person in the US. They might have a clue. Why not?
so am I and most of the people that know on this forum. There are many conflicting statements from DJI and that's a fact.

Good luck with that. I am going with the guys that worked at DJI and they said to do it.
Obviously whomever you spoke with never read the P4 manual.

Compass2.png

so am I and most of the people that know on this forum. There are many conflicting statements from DJI and that's a fact.

I trust the folks here way better than DJI

That's the problem with the DJI advice - it keeps changing, both in the manuals for the various aircraft and advice given by their employees. And while they certainly ought to know how their aircraft are programmed and operate better than any of us, the "calibrate when you change location" strategy has no apparent foundation in basic physics. That has led most of us to conclude that it's either not really about location per se, or, especially in view of their conflicting advice, that it's a miscommunication/misunderstanding between their engineering department and some of the technical support/manual writing departments.

I’m flying with DJIGO and iPad Pro for screen. Where do I find txt output option.
In most flight incidents, the easiest way to find what happened and where the drone ended up is to go to the black box flight recorder.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
You will find instructions there that will tell you how to find the .txt file with your recorded flight data.
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

@Meta4 .....That was in Post #2.......?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20