Phantom 4 pro or Inspire 1?

Reaction score
I have a p3a and just sold a p3s

I’m looking to “upgrade “ in the next few weeks to months but unsure what to get.
Ideally I would love an Inspire2; but who wouldn’t. (I can’t afford 3k on a hobby craft)
I’m torn between an inspire 1 and a p4p.
What would you do and why?
I’ve ruled out the mavic already but can’t decide which of the others I want.

Ideally I would love an Inspire2; but who wouldn’t. (I can’t afford 3k on a hobby craft)
I’m torn between an inspire 1 and a p4p.
What do you want your next drone for? What features do you need?
The I2 has impressive capabilities but for $3K you get no camera and one set of batteries.
You need to spend $4K if you also want a camera (that's the same as the P4 pro camera)

If you went for an Inspire 1, you get some things the P4 pro can't do plus you get a heavy and cumbersome aircraft that takes longer to get ready to fly.
It also has considerably shorter flight times - much shorter times if you add an X5 camera to get better images than possible with the P4 pro.
If you didn't go for the heavy and expensive X5 camera, you can only use the X3 which is the same camera as a P3 uses.

There are a lot of positives going for the P4 pro.
Superior image quality to the X3
Superior portability, affordability and flight time.

What do you want your next drone for? What features do you need?
The I2 has impressive capabilities but for $3K you get no camera and one set of batteries.
You need to spend $4K if you also want a camera (that's the same as the P4 pro camera)

If you went for an Inspire 1, you get some things the P4 pro can't do plus you get a heavy and cumbersome aircraft that takes longer to get ready to fly.
It also has considerably shorter flight times - much shorter times if you add an X5 camera to get better images than possible with the P4 pro.
If you didn't go for the heavy and expensive X5 camera, you can only use the X3 which is the same camera as a P3 uses.

There are a lot of positives going for the P4 pro.
Superior image quality to the X3
Superior portability, affordability and flight time.

Honestly, I’m a simple man. Just fly it and take pictures, mostly. The occasional video of scenery; but, mostly photos. I’d like to start doing more photos and such along lake Eerie so distance and stability would be something else I’ll want.
I’ve looked into the Walkera Voyager, mavic, and yuneec h. Clearly dji still has the lead with build quality and bang for buck.

Ideally, I want something that I won’t want to upgrade from for a good while. That’s the most important thing to me. If the p3 was a p3p, and all I was going to get was obstacle avoidance and speed, I wouldn’t be looking to upgrade. Which from the looks of it takes the I1 off the list.

The one thing that does concern me about the p4 are stress cracks. I don’t hard break but I know if I had sport mode I would push the speed. [emoji4]

Sorry for the long winded post, I’m kind of just about to get back into the hobby and excited.

Last edited:
If the p3 was a p3p, and all I was going to get was obstacle avoidance and speed, I wouldn’t be looking to upgrade.
If you hadn't noticed, the P4 pro gives you a camera 10 times better than what is on the P4 and P3 drones.
That's the big reason to go for a P4 pro if you are a keen photographer.
The one thing that does concern me about the p4 are stress cracks. I don’t hard break but I know if I had sport mode I would push the speed.
Don't be too concerned about that.
Cracking is quite uncommon and only shows up in a small number of Phantoms.
There is nothing at all to link flying speed with cracking.

If you hadn't noticed, the P4 pro gives you a camera 10 times better than what is on the P4 and P3 drones.
That's the big reason to go for a P4 pro if you are a keen photographer.

Don't be too concerned about that.
Cracking is quite uncommon and only shows up in a small number of Phantoms.
There is nothing at all to link flying speed with cracking.

Ahhh ok, i hadn’t noticed the camera as that much of an improvement over the p4, thank you.

I did; however, notice in some of the Facebook groups people were saying it was from hard breaking and getting a little more common.

I hadn’t had it on any of my p3 drones, but I’ve never flown them hard either. I have a feeling the next one will get pushed though.

What would you estimate the longevity of a p4p to be?

Reactions: Edvins87
Ahhh ok, i hadn’t noticed the camera as that much of an improvement over the p4,
With a 4x bigger sensor and a real aperture, the camera is a huge improvement.
I did; however, notice in some of the Facebook groups people were saying it was from hard breaking and getting a little more common.
There are lots of myths and lots of supposed causes that don't stand up to analysis or fit the evidence.
What would you estimate the longevity of a p4p to be?
That all depends on what you do with it.
But my first P4 pro is a little over 12 months old now and has been worked hard all that time.
It still looks good and flies like new.

With a 4x bigger sensor and a real aperture, the camera is a huge improvement.

There are lots of myths and lots of supposed causes that don't stand up to analysis or fit the evidence.

That all depends on what you do with it.
But my first P4 pro is a little over 12 months old now and has been worked hard all that time.
It still looks good and flies like new.

Understood, I reckon that makes sense considering I’ve never personally known anyone with the p3 issue.

Thank you for your help.

What p4 is that dji is selling refurbished?
It just says p4, gut you can tell it’s not the p4.
Any camera difference between the p4a and p4p?
Other than the 360 deg obstacle avoidance what is the difference between the 2?

I’m sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I don’t have buyers remorse

Reactions: Edvins87
Understood, I reckon that makes sense considering I’ve never personally known anyone with the p3 issue.

Thank you for your help.

Any camera difference between the p4a and p4p?
Other than the 360 deg obstacle avoidance what is the difference between the 2?

I’m sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I don’t have buyers remorse

check out the buying guides, don't go anywhere near a standard P4, it doesn't have the updated camera

The main difference in with the P4P is the extra obstacle avoidance sensors and and the ability to choose between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequency to gain clearer signal stability in areas with high radio interference. The P4a only has a 2.4ghz transmission frequency

Phantom 4 Advanced vs Phantom 4 Pro: 4 Differences You Need to Know

Reactions: tvernace
Reckon, there in lies my confusion
The dji website only lists the advanced and pro.

Thank you, checking out link

The reason that the standard P4 is not listed on the DJI site is because it was discontinued April 2017 and it was replaced by the Phantom 4 Advanced with the better camera

I'd also consider the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian, the black model has more resale value and is easier to see in the sky, when flying line of sight.
Functionally it's the same as the white model but cosmetically it is different with black and metallic finishes

I'd also consider the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian, the black model has more resale value and is easier to see in the sky, when flying line of sight.
Functionally it's the same as the white model but cosmetically it is different with black and metallic finishes

It’s gorgeous as can be! I put a wrap on my p3 so that I could see it easier.
I’m waiting a few weeks to get a few things together financially but if I go for the pro, it’ll definitely be the black one.

It’s gorgeous as can be! I put a wrap on my p3 so that I could see it easier.
I’m waiting a few weeks to get a few things together financially but if I go for the pro, it’ll definitely be the black one.

Yes, I prefer the Obsidian

Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian: Unboxing and Hands on

I'd go for the normal Pro model where you add a phone or tablet instead of the Pro + with the built in screen.

Phantom 4 Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro+: Which is for You?

The built in screen although it's brighter than some tablets and phones , is limited in size and what apps you can run on it

You can still have a brighter screen with the normal P4 controller but you would need to invest in a DJI Crystalsky monitor.

Yes, I prefer the Obsidian

Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian: Unboxing and Hands on

I'd go for the normal Pro model where you add a phone or tablet instead of the Pro + with the built in screen.

The built in screen although it's brighter than some tablets and phones , is limited in size and what apps you can run on it

You can still have a brighter screen with the normal P4 controller but you would need to invest in a DJI Crystalsky monitor.

I won’t be investing in a dji tablet. Don’t get me wrong, I firmly believe they have the best consumer drones on the market; but, I can’t see myself buying the tablet.

I keep an iPad in the drone case which is strictly dedicated for litchi. If I didn’t do that, than maybe I would consider it.

DJI is currently only selling refurbished P4s in the DJI Store here. You can find the features, specs, etc. for the Phantom 4 here.

I have for sale a brand new, never used a Inspire 1 v2 Black edition with 2 TB48 batteries but NO camera.

I would wait for the phantom 5 I have a p4s and I have $1600 saved for no specific reason I heard that it will be in the $1800 to $1900 range I am thinking about saving a little more so I can get it when it comes out.

I considered that, but in all honesty I’m more confused than ever after today.
I can’t see needing or wanting more in a camera than the p4p.

My p3a was always supposed to be a learner craft, and it’s held strong for 2 years now, and doesn’t need replacement, since I’m just a hobby pilot.
If the mavic has a better camera, I would be getting that one, because of portability; but, I know I’ll want the photos from something like what the p4p offers.
I almost wish I could take the p4p camera and mount it to my p3a, than get a mavic. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31