Phantom 4 Pro gimbal went wonky

Reaction score
First off this bird is barely over a month old and has been flown maybe 6 times total. Litchi software is latest version on an iPad Mini 4 which has whatever was before the latest 11.2.5.
I've asked before about a little buzzing noise from the gimbal that happens after calibration. A few folks posted to say theirs does too and just fly it.
So yesterday I was making some test flights with Litchi to nail down optimum flying speed and expected flight time. The mission was for 5 miles a nested loop whereby the gimbal was set for -10 degrees and each loop had it owns speed 5, 10, 15, 25 and 30 mph. 56 waypoints to give smooth turns.
About midway the second loop the gimbal started nodding up and down. I waited until the next waypoint which should set the gimbal but nothing happened. So I manually ran the gimbal down. It resisted at first then went down and stabilized - for a few moments anyway. Next waypoint it reset to -10 and shortly after started wobbling again. One round of twitching it yawed so bad that I saw one of the landing gear in the frame! Finally around the 4th loop it stopped responding to manual gimbal at all and was twitching weakly. When the mission ended it initiated RTH at which point the danged gimbal responded to reset 0 degrees and was steady as it landed. :mad:

Obviously I don't want to have this happen in the field when I go out to do some work this spring. If I need to send it in to Dji so be it. But it seemed this all started after a previous upgrade to the drone. I downgraded it, did a factory reset and then reloaded the latest to no avail. Incidentally it was doing a gimbal dance while updating. By dance I mean it was doing what appeared to be a figure 8 sort of gyration. It stopped when the bird rebooted but I think it was odd behavior.

Opinions?

Just finished with Dji support - gawd that's an ordeal.
Went to fly again today and this time teh gimbal did not initialize and started oscillating up and down.
Gimbal control had no effect. I tried calibration and even though it was still bobbing up and down Dji GO4 reported calibration was ok!
Check it out in the video.
Anyway - mailing it out tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Dropbox - Video Jan 29, 4 52 14 PM.mov

Reactions: Hounddog
That’s crazy! Came across your post because my Gimbal is also acting crazy (excessive wobbling, like A LOT) Dreading having to send mine in as well.

Well they got it Friday and today I hear it's fixed. Hopefully it'll go out sooner than later.
Aside from the essentially clueless guy on Dji chat the process was pretty painless.
They didn't even quibble about it being a warranty item.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj