Phantom 4 Pro backtrack upon signal loss

Reaction score
Figured I'd post a quick video showing this feature at work. Something I've noticed, if I simply turn off the controller it does NOT do the backtrack. It would appear the software is smart enough to determine a power off vs an actual TX signal lost. So, for this test, I stayed inside my garage and flew the drone away so I'd lose signal faster. Watch the video for results. :) Quick and dirty video with just some text added in to explain.

For those new to this, basically the phantom 4 pro has a feature where upon signal loss, it will try to "retrace" it's steps for a short time in an effort to restore signal to TX. If unable to restore it will do a normal "failsafe" RTH. According to a DJI rep the drone will backtrack "up to 60 seconds". I'm not sure what variables are at play for how long it backtracks, but in my video you'll see the drone backtrack a ways before turning directly towards the home point and heading home.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's backtracking but doesn't see improvement in the signals strength so triggers RTH.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It appears to retrace only the last 30 seconds of the outgoing path.
I thought it was supposed to be the last 60 seconds.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31