Phantom 4 hand catch problem

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I had my P4 out today after just installing a new update for the controller (1.80 - I think), I often hand catch my P4 and upon doing so this time it refused to stop the props, I held both control sticks to the inside bottom as normal, it would start to shut down then try to take off again, after several attempts it did shut down o_O

Anyone else having an issue?

Was it re-arming itself after it completely shut down? :eek:

Hi Folks,

I had my P4 out today after just installing a new update for the controller (1.80 - I think), I often hand catch my P4 and upon doing so this time it refused to stop the props, I held both control sticks to the inside bottom as normal, it would start to shut down then try to take off again, after several attempts it did shut down o_O

It happens to me from day one, September 1st, so i shut it down with the new method for emergency shut down, I think left stick to the right bottom and pressing return to home button some seconds if I remember well.

Στάλθηκε από το 5095K μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Hi Folks,

I did this same thing when I landed on the ground. My P4 did a barrel roll down the lawn. Luckily only damaged two props. I replaced all 4 just for that warm fuzzy feeling.

Do the left stick strait down and hold for 3 secs. It will shut down even if you "catch" land.

Reactions: durrantie
Or power down the battery...

Jump to 7:35 if you're short on time:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You also might take a look at this - a drone attorney who advises that hand catches are prohibited under FAR Part 101 (scroll down about two thirds):

Model Aircraft Operations

Last edited:
Reactions: ObiDon
Hi Folks,

Because a lot of people by accident switched the copter off in mid air, DJI modified the CSC command in later firmwares. Now it´s Left stick inner down + RTH. But like other mentions, better to just hold the left stick fully down for a few second and it´l come to rest.

To turn the motors off you should not do the CSC command (sticks both down and in) as this will cause the motors to rev or the P4 to tip over when you land.

Hold the left stick down until the motors turn off (3 seconds).

I had same experience, i think that you must keep the aircraft steady not moving when shutting down the Motors.
I tried to stop when walking and it does not turn off, maybe because it "thinks" its flying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NRJ and dgd3
Jump to 7:35 if you're short on time:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You also might take a look at this - a drone attorney who advises that hand catches are prohibited under FAR Part 101 (scroll down about two thirds):

Model Aircraft Operations

Great video!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

great video.
hand catching or launching is not a good idea.
those props can and will cut your hands and fingers real quick.
I have flown model airplanes for over 60 years and my hands have the scars to pruve it.
bitten by props many times.

Because a lot of people by accident switched the copter off in mid air, DJI modified the CSC command in later firmwares. Now it´s Left stick inner down + RTH. But like other mentions, better to just hold the left stick fully down for a few second and it´l come to rest.

Does this apply to all phantoms or just the 4?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and a fairly new owner of a Phantom 4. Here's what happened to me when I tired to hand catch it bc it was drifting close to a wall. I thought I grabbed it safely but it countered and just tore into my arm. Please be careful. I did get a good story from it though. I was in the ER getting it glued/stitched up and a kind Filipino nurse didn't understand what a drone was when she asked how it happened. So she thought I was a "cutter". I was about 60 seconds away from her going to get a Psychiatrist when a radiology tech over heard the conversation and more adequately explained the definition of a drone. I think it was a combo of language barrier and the slicing motion I was making with my other hand when I was explaining what had happened. Haha

cc4c2eefad54cb3609d1ca0a72f78eac.jpg

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and a fairly new owner of a Phantom 4. Here's what happened to me when I tired to hand catch it bc it was drifting close to a wall. I thought I grabbed it safely but it countered and just tore into my arm. Please be careful. I did get a good story from it though. I was in the ER getting it glued/stitched up and a kind Filipino nurse didn't understand what a drone was when she asked how it happened. So she thought I was a "cutter". I was about 60 seconds away from her going to get a Psychiatrist when a radiology tech over heard the conversation and more adequately explained the definition of a drone. I think it was a combo of language barrier and the slicing motion I was making with my other hand when I was explaining what had happened. Haha

cc4c2eefad54cb3609d1ca0a72f78eac.jpg

Ouch

Reactions: MrTommy
I believe the CSC (two sticks down and in) may not work anymore for motor cut off while flying. I think you have to pull left stick down and in while you push the RTH button (correct me if I'm wrong) to stop the craft while flying. So if you're moving the craft around after you grab it, the craft may think it's flying and not shut off. The same may apply when using the traditional turn-off method, which is holding down the left stick for 3-4 seconds like ALOK... stated.

The other thing to be aware of, if you are using the rubber band stick stiffeners, those will hinder your ability to do a CSC to start and stop motors because full down and in is BLOCKED in the corners, it hits the plastic ring that holds the rubber bands. You have to grind the plastic a little to allow full stick deflection in the corner areas..

upload_2016-10-23_21-28-9.png

There is a specific hand catch process I use for safety that I'll share:
1. Fly the craft about 10ft away from me about 7ft high (so the blades are above my head, but legs easy to grab)
2. Let the craft hover for at least 5 seconds as I walk toward it with my fingers OFF the RC sticks.
3. I watch the craft carefully for movement as I slow walk toward the craft.
4. If the craft is relatively stable for several seconds I slowly approach it from underneath and grab one of the vertical legs firmly with my RIGHT hand.
5. I hold the craft in the exact spot I grabbed it while I pull the RC left stick full down with my LEFT hand for 3-4 seconds until motors turn off.
6. When motors power down, then I bring the craft down from 7' up.
7. I set the RC down and turn off the craft battery, then turn off the RC power. Done.

With a little practice the ONE HANDED left stick full down can be done without an RC harness around the neck. I prefer NOT to use a harness while flying, hence I rarely hand launch.

I see a lot of people do things that aren't safe when hand catching, they get too confident IMO. One of the worst is flying the craft to your hand because you're too lazy to walk over to a craft hovering, or just plain showing off to a crowd. Sooner or later that will catch up with you, no matter how good a pilot you are. I think grabbing a craft while your fingers on the stick is asking for trouble, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and a fairly new owner of a Phantom 4. Here's what happened to me when I tired to hand catch it bc it was drifting close to a wall. I thought I grabbed it safely but it countered and just tore into my arm. Please be careful.

Be glad you didn't have carbon fiber blades with that mistake. You would have been sliced up much worst.

A good rule of thumb IMO is to never grab a craft that's lower than your head, and never grab one that's moving. It's not worth the risk.

It's also not a good idea for beginners to hand grab. You need to know your craft rather well to be competent at hand catching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31