Phantom 4 hand catch problem

Not had this prob myself but don't forget when you catch hold of the leg of the P4 (be careful not to make a hurried grab at it) you must try not to alter its altitude (at all), hold it steady and pull down the stick on the controller and hold it there. If you try to pull on the P4 (even just a little bit) the internal 'brains' will try to maintain its stable position and accelerate the respective props.

Grab stationary craft above your head. Hold it still, firmly. Left stick down for 3 seconds while you hold still.
Careful when windy, phantom will react.

But really quite simple, and safe.

Grab the VERTICAL portion of the leg!

Reactions: John Locke
great video.
hand catching or launching is not a good idea.
those props can and will cut your hands and fingers real quick.
I have flown model airplanes for over 60 years and my hands have the scars to pruve it.
bitten by props many times.
I have to agree that hand catching is not a good idea. I have posted against it a couple of time.
My son-in-law runs a charter fishing service off the east coast of Florida. He purchased a used P4 last month after seeing mine and uses it to help locate fish. Landing on rocking boat is almost impossible, so he hand catches with using leather welding gloves on both hands.

Sometimes I feel the P4 wants lift up while I'm hand catching. The motors rev a little like it doesn't want to stop flying lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

it doesn't want to to stop
it still is trying to compensate and level the craft as you hold it.

the left stick down 100% is the best way to kill the motors upon landing

After the last update I suffered yesterday the same issue! I've been with the aircraft catches in my hand and the motors running for 3 eternal minutes

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Wow that is an eternity with the equivalent of a 'fingers chopping chainsaw' in you hand. This may sound silly but are holding the Left stick down all the time (I also point the stick to the middle as well as being right down)? Never had this problem.

Hi Folks,

I had my P4 out today after just installing a new update for the controller (1.80 - I think), I often hand catch my P4 and upon doing so this time it refused to stop the props, I held both control sticks to the inside bottom as normal, it would start to shut down then try to take off again, after several attempts it did shut down o_O

Anyone else having an issue?

I'm not... as I'm hand catching the correct way.

Yes the problem is that you can only make smooth movements, because as you said in your post the phantom tries to balance increasing the power... no I don't tried this because I always cut the motors with two sticks...I always take off and landing with my hand, I have a special glove to cut the meat and is the first time that I've suffered this, maybe was a signal problem or any interference because I was in a RC Field for the first time as well, with more aircrafts... thanks for the tip.

Sometimes I feel the P4 wants lift up while I'm hand catching. The motors rev a little like it doesn't want to stop flying lol

I recommend that you slightly raise the Phantom as you are pressing down on the left stick. If you accidently pull down on the drone during this process it _might_ think it's loosing altitude and correct itself.

But really quite simple, and safe.

Safe is a relative term. If a person always lands on the ground would then ever stand a chance of getting injured while landing? No. When hand catching is it _possible_ to become injured? Yes.

I hand catch ever time I land. I don't have any issue with it. Would I tell someone else that they should hand catch? No. It's up to each person... that simple.

I use the left thumb stick down for hand catching also - Now - But I have also (back the first couple of times that I hand caught) reached up with both hands, grabbed the legs and simply hit the battery switch twice to turn it off, pulled the battery out and put in a fresh one. So if you're having a problem getting it to shut down after the last update (if that update is the problem) then this is another safe way to shut it down. I don't update, and I've not had any problems now in over a year.

Reactions: Jorge D
I use the left thumb stick down for hand catching also - Now - But I have also (back the first couple of times that I hand caught) reached up with both hands, grabbed the legs and simply hit the battery switch twice to turn it off, pulled the battery out and put in a fresh one. So if you're having a problem getting it to shut down after the last update (if that update is the problem) then this is another safe way to shut it down. I don't update, and I've not had any problems now in over a year.

Thanks man [emoji106]

Yes same here, sometimes more then other. Guess that´s natural as the VPS gets confused whether the aircraft is on the ground or not...

The reason it wants to lift up while hand grabbing is that it is returning to the hover point that was fixed when you let go of the sticks. It will try to go back to that point no matter what direction you move it. I have experimented with that. I am amazed at how accurate it is.

I did this same thing when I landed on the ground. My P4 did a barrel roll down the lawn. Luckily only damaged two props. I replaced all 4 just for that warm fuzzy feeling.

Do the left stick strait down and hold for 3 secs. It will shut down even if you "catch" land.
Re: barrel roll -- Been there. Done that. Which is why I now always hand catch on landing. Shut down with left stick only. Does take about 3 seconds.

Reactions: snowghost
For me, hand catching is almost a necessity as when I fly I have to do it from a stool (that I take with me) or from my wheelchair. It's a bit too far of a stretch to lean down to pick it up when done flying. That way I just wheel on over to my SUV and place it in its case in the back of the vehicle.

Bud

Hi Folks,

I had my P4 out today after just installing a new update for the controller (1.80 - I think), I often hand catch my P4 and upon doing so this time it refused to stop the props, I held both control sticks to the inside bottom as normal, it would start to shut down then try to take off again, after several attempts it did shut down o_O

Anyone else having an issue?
I enjoy hand catching!

It happens to me from day one, September 1st, so i shut it down with the new method for emergency shut down, I think left stick to the right bottom and pressing return to home button some seconds if I remember well.

Στάλθηκε από το 5095K μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Wow, how do you do that with the drone in one hand? :)

great video.
hand catching or launching is not a good idea.
those props can and will cut your hands and fingers real quick.
I have flown model airplanes for over 60 years and my hands have the scars to pruve it.
bitten by props many times.

Personally I always handcatch, especially when it is blustery - just make sure it is downwind of you!
I, too have several scars on my fingers from model aircraft props - mainly from 2s motors starting backwards. That's why we have chickensticks and electric starters.
Hand launching really needs another person to hold it above their head with both hands while you power-up. Just tell them to let go when they feel it pulling hard. I have done this dozens of times with complete strangers without any problems. Staying away from the ground keeps all those little bits of sand etc from getting into the motors & gimbal, and damaging the props. I have 50+ hrs on phantoms now. I still have the original props on both my P3As.
I never use a neckstrap, and I don't have any trouble holding the tx in my left hand and catching with the right.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1