Phantom 4 flipped over, flew powered into ground from 200 feet!

The same facts have been presented over and over in this thread and the one OP started on the DJI forums.

Bottom line is:

1) OP had an incident/crash before this. It doesn't matter how many successful flights were made between then and the current 'incident'. OP cannot say with any certainty that no damage was done at that time that only manifested itself now.

Indeed, OP must be pretty lucky that the craft was not completely destroyed after a power dive from effectively 20 floors up let alone freefall..

2) He is concerned with not getting his particular craft back. AFAICS this concern was brought about by the fact that DJI has sent emails detailing the repair steps. In reality many companies do this (Apple anyone?) although it would be strange to get a different a/c back if you were being kept appraised of each repair step (which itself strange unless I've misread OP's posts. I can't see why DJI would do this , no one else does, not even your car mechanic unless more problems are found)

3) He really wants to know the cause of the crash, which is completely reasonable. However, one must accept point 1 above as a very likely candidate otherwise you are simply ignoring reality.
Agreed. However, as to point (2.) above, you state you see no reason for DJI to send back a different aircraft. To expedite the "repair" process, an already refurbished unit is sent out, instead of waiting for the repair of the one you sent in to be completed, which could take months if parts are unavailable, or the repair queue is excessive. While you and I may agree that we want our own unit repaired, DJI doesn't operate this way. 99% of the time, you get someone else's repaired unit back, and someone else will get your repaired unit as their refurb exchange. DJI Care/Refresh operates the same way. It works better for DJI this way. The aircraft are considered fungible by DJI, even though we become emotionally attached to them. Imagine taking your sick dog or cat to the vet and being sent home with a healthy one, that had been sick when it was brought in, while they nurse yours back to health, and give it to the next person who brings in a sick dog or cat! Same idea! :rolleyes:

you state you see no reason for DJI to send back a different aircraft.

Let me clarify. If I remember one of OP's posts correctly it would appear that he was kept apprised of every step in the actual repair work (I may have misread or forgotten what was posted due to the sheer number!). If indeed this was the case it would be strange to receive a replacement. Otherwise I'm in agreement with you, hence the Apple reference.

At least in Europe you get back the same drone you sent to them. You get to follow the repair procedure with pics, test flight time stamps and quality assurance time stamps. It's actually very good service. Then again, If you totally wreck your drone (power it down to the ground...) then I would assume situation would be different.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks RocketFlyer, I appreciate your comments. My drone is out for delivery on UPS truck today. I'll know in about six hours what I get!
Thanks again,
Jim
WA5TEF

Thanks RocketFlyer, I appreciate your comments. My drone is out for delivery on UPS truck today. I'll know in about six hours what I get!
Thanks again,
Jim
WA5TEF

You're just like me. I followed the tracking from home to DJI. Then from DJI to home. You may have to sign for it, if so, make sure someone is home.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You're just like me. I followed the tracking from home to DJI. Then from DJI to home. You may have to sign for it, if so, make sure someone is home.
I think all their shipments require an adult signature. My last order from them was a battery and I had to sign for it. No biggie for me, both my wife and I work from home.

The tension mounts, as the clock runs down...Deedah, Deedah, Deedah.... :cool:

I shipped mine back in the original case, and got it back.
They might be treating P4’s differently. My experiences were with P3P's that had no styrofoam case to begin with, just cardboard pieces. Was it the same styrofoam case, though? Hmmm...

Gosh, can you imagine the horror of getting a different styrofoam case back? I'd be livid and contact my lawyer instantly :D
No horror at all. Just that I suspect DJI isn't organized enough to keep the cases segregated by owner, and just treats them as another fungible, just like they do the aircraft itself, sending back a refurb, instead of your original aircraft, after a repair assessment or warranty or DJI Care claim.

No horror at all. Just that I suspect DJI isn't organized enough to keep the cases segregated by owner, and just treats them as another fungible, just like they do the aircraft itself, sending back a refurb, instead of your original aircraft, after a repair assessment or warranty or DJI Care claim.
I was joking (badly I guess), personally I wouldn't care what I was sent back as long as it worked.

Now, where is the darn FexEx truck :)

Forgot to add, it was an identical DJI battery, same everything, markings and all.
Thanks,
Jim
Just to make sure, I got both batteries side by side. Looked carefully with a magnifier at all the writing, ratings, symbols, Chinese characters and both are exactly alike except for the serial number. I wish I had bought two at least, at that price. I looked last night on Amazon for one but was not to be found. I'll keep checking and gobble one up if they list them again.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Chinese characters and both are exactly alike except for the serial number. I wish I had bought two at least, at that price.
I don't believe there are counterfeit or even 3rd party P4 batteries, unlike the P3 (of course now someone will now jump in to correct me). The relatively small volume of P4s is probably the reason.

I was joking (badly I guess), personally I wouldn't care what I was sent back as long as it worked.

Now, where is the darn FexEx truck :)
No, it was certainly an appropriate joke, under the circumstances. Have to maintain our sense of humor! :cool:
I, too, am wondering about where that darn FedEx truck is, that contains the answer to all our speculations! :)
@wa5tef ???
He must be preparing the unboxing video! :D

No, it was certainly an appropriate joke, under the circumstances. Have to maintain our sense of humor! :cool:
I, too, am wondering about where that darn FedEx truck is, that contains the answer to all our speculations! :)
@wa5tef ???
He must be preparing the unboxing video! :D
Hey GadgetGuy! No, I am pacing the floor waiting on UPS. Tracking showed he did not start the route until 8:19 am CST and he usually is on the road by 6:00 am. I flagged down a UPS truck this morning but of course, it was the wrong one. I have the controller charged, batteries charged and new props ready to install and get to flying before dark I hope. Once I get settled after that, I'll update what I found. Thanks to all for your interest and your postings about this incident. And NO, I still have not heard from DJI as to the cause of the flip over and I also found out this morning that the drone I am getting back may not be NEW but REFURBISHED! I was quite disappointed to learn this but hopefully it will be OK.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Hey GadgetGuy! No, I am pacing the floor waiting on UPS. Tracking showed he did not start the route until 8:19 am CST and he usually is on the road by 6:00 am. I flagged down a UPS truck this morning but of course, it was the wrong one. I have the controller charged, batteries charged and new props ready to install and get to flying before dark I hope. Once I get settled after that, I'll update what I found. Thanks to all for your interest and your postings about this incident. And NO, I still have not heard from DJI as to the cause of the flip over and I also found out this morning that the drone I am getting back may not be NEW but REFURBISHED! I was quite disappointed to learn this but hopefully it will be OK.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
The shipped drone being a refurb is consistent with my understanding of DJI repair processes. The only time they ever send out a brand new one is if you bought it from them directly brand new, and it was DOA within 7 days, and you insist upon it. In every other case, it's a refurb, or in rare instances, your original aircraft. DJI's interest, apart from blade's assistance, in determining the cause of the flip over, after resolution and aircraft replacement is now zero. They are in the repair business, not R&D. Cause of crash is only relevent when there is a warranty claim, which is why they love DJI Care. Fault and cause are irrelevant under the insurance, if it is covered. Hopefully, your refurb is a good one. It has the same warranty as your original aircraft.:cool:

Just to make sure, I got both batteries side by side. Looked carefully with a magnifier at all the writing, ratings, symbols, Chinese characters and both are exactly alike except for the serial number. I wish I had bought two at least, at that price. I looked last night on Amazon for one but was not to be found. I'll keep checking and gobble one up if they list them again.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
The P4 batteries were on sale for $119 even at Best Buy just before Xmas. They are back to regular prices ($169) everywhere now, probably because of the shortage of P4P batteries. Both batteries work in both aircraft. For the extra $10, at $179, the P4P battery is a better value. At $119 for the P4, not so much.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom