Phantom 4 flipped over, flew powered into ground from 200 feet!

Hey again GadgetGuy, thanks for that information. I did not know what size that memory was. My flights should not have totaled enough to over write that last crash. In fact I only flew it maybe three times on real short test flights. I did turn it on inside several times which probably showed up as a flight but the memory used would have been not an issue. Where did you learn about Phantoms? i am always reading and trying to learn new stuff and especially about Phantoms but the technical information is hard to find. Thanks again for posting.
Jim
WA5TEF

Interesting! Where did you get your information? I believe the FAA sets the 500 foot limit but I would definitely like to fly higher than that. I am 10.5 air miles from the nearest airport and the only cropduster in our area has retired last year. Again, thanks for posting.
Jim
WA5TEF

In the itemized quote, they just listed the parts needed and labor costs and noted that it was impact damage or hard landing.
Thanks,
Jim

Interesting! Where did you get your information? I believe the FAA sets the 500 foot limit but I would definitely like to fly higher than that. I am 10.5 air miles from the nearest airport and the only cropduster in our area has retired last year. Again, thanks for posting.
Jim
WA5TEF
Not sure what you mean. You can read the US code for yourself. The 2012 act by congress with part 101 cover hobbyist flight.

OK, thanks. I'll check it out. I did re-read the FAA information I printed out when I registered my drone. It was only safety guidelines that stated the height limit but it was only 400 feet. Since that is only a guideline then it is not official polity. I appreciate your information.
Jim
WA5TEF

Hey again GadgetGuy, thanks for that information. I did not know what size that memory was. My flights should not have totaled enough to over write that last crash. In fact I only flew it maybe three times on real short test flights. I did turn it on inside several times which probably showed up as a flight but the memory used would have been not an issue. Where did you learn about Phantoms? i am always reading and trying to learn new stuff and especially about Phantoms but the technical information is hard to find. Thanks again for posting.
Jim
WA5TEF
Most of the information is gleaned from posts on this forum over the last two years, from others, who have done teardowns for various purposes, and my own experience. If you want to save your .DAT files, you need to periodically copy them off, as they will eventually be overwritten, even if not in this case. The longer the flights, the bigger the .DAT files, and the quicker they get overwritten. My flights are typically 25 minutes, so with one bird, I needed to copy them off monthly. In the future, if you can still connect to the aircraft after a crash, copy off the .DAT file yourself before sending in the aircraft. Also, copy off the .TXT Flight Log stored on your tablet. Between those two files, most crash causes can be determined.

Most of the information is gleaned from posts on this forum over the last two years, from others, who have done teardowns for various purposes, and my own experience. If you want to save your .DAT files, you need to periodically copy them off, as they will eventually be overwritten, even if not in this case. The longer the flights, the bigger the .DAT files, and the quicker they get overwritten. My flights are typically 25 minutes, so with one bird, I needed to copy them off monthly. In the future, if you can still connect to the aircraft after a crash, copy off the .DAT file yourself before sending in the aircraft. Also, copy off the .TXT Flight Log stored on your tablet. Between those two files, most crash causes can be determined.
Hey again! I really appreciate your knowledge. I'm not very computer literate and don't know how to copy the files from the drone. I would appreciate a tip where I can find that information. My files in my iPad are a mystery also. When I first connected my iPad to my computer the files were visible . Also on iTines. Now I can't find them. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Jim
WA5TEF

Hey again! I really appreciate your knowledge. I'm not very computer literate and don't know how to copy the files from the drone. I would appreciate a tip where I can find that information. My files in my iPad are a mystery also. When I first connected my iPad to my computer the files were visible . Also on iTines. Now I can't find them. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Jim
WA5TEF
How to retrieve a .DAT

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks for the info. I have tried to download and DJI Assistant 2 V1.0.9 several times and when I run it, all I can do is open a small link that shows how to connect to the Inspire 2. What am I doing wrong? Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
Did you connect your aircraft to your computer and power it on? Then open the DJI assistant 2

No I just tried to open the program without the drone. It won't be back till Thursday afternoon. I'll try that then. Thanks for the tip!
Jim
WA5TEF

Amazing! I got an email again from April. She stated they indeed swap out my drone for another but it was for a NEW ONE! She said that mine was beyond repair even though I flew it several times on short test flights after the crash AND after I had detailed steps including serial number, of my drone's repair and shipping. The shipping notice had the different serial number. That's what prompted the inquiry about different drones. So, let's see what is in the box Thursday and I'll post here. I still have not heard DJI's explanation for the crash.
Thanks for all the comments.
Jim
WA5TEF

The left hand often doesn't know what the right hand is doing at DJI. After daily phone calls to DJI over three weeks, asking about my $1799 refund on a rejected P4P+ package from China, and being given excuse after excuse and outright lies for the delay, my refund was finally issued by China. Since the date the refund was issued, I have received no less than 30 emails from DJI, often 3 a day, notifying me, yet again, that my refund has just been issued! One credit. 30 emails! If they only put all that effort into promptly issuing the refund in the first place, instead of bragging about it finally being issued...:rolleyes:

Yeah, it seems like the various departments don't or can't communicate with other. It would be interesting to know if they are in China or elsewhere.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

The people answering the phone are in the Los Angeles area, as is the DJI US repair department. However, those two departments in the Los Angeles area, likely in different areas of Los Angeles, do not communicate well, if at all. Refunds are now no longer processed by Los Angeles, and must go through China, after being approved by Los Angeles. Email could be from anywhere, and depends upon the source of the original communication. Let's see if April has any idea of what the shipping department is doing! :rolleyes: Likely not! Her definition of new, and yours will undoubtedly be different! It will be a refurb, tossed into a plain brown box, with only styrofoam peanuts for protection!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94