Phantom 4 flipped over, flew powered into ground from 200 feet!

In answer to the original question regarding flipping. When descending the drone passes through its own turbulence. If descent is too fast it is possible for the turbulence to flip the copter upside down.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

In answer to the original question regarding flipping. When descending the drone passes through its own turbulence. If descent is too fast it is possible for the turbulence to flip the copter upside down.

As in Vortex Ring State? A properly functioning P4 cannot descend that fast. However, once upside down, if there is a battery shutoff, the heavy side will remain down until impact. Newton's Law. :eek:

Reactions: Pharm

But the drone will right itself. That's not what happened here. Plus I'm pretty sure the P4 can't descend fast enough for this.

Well, I agree that a Phantom will automatically correct itself if upside down. See the video here:
I was amazed when I saw it. It clearly shows an older Phantom avoiding a crash when held almost upside down and released. Mine flipped at about 200 feet and would have had plenty of time to right itself and continue to hover or descend but it instead power dived into the ground, hitting almost perfectly flat on its top. I am still amazed that the drone was not a pile of rubble when I got to it but it was intact and like I posted earlier, I put on new props and flew it! Tough little bird for sure.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

The people answering the phone are in the Los Angeles area, as is the DJI US repair department. However, those two departments in the Los Angeles area, likely in different areas of Los Angeles, do not communicate well, if at all. Refunds are now no longer processed by Los Angeles, and must go through China, after being approved by Los Angeles. Email could be from anywhere, and depends upon the source of the original communication. Let's see if April has any idea of what the shipping department is doing! :rolleyes: Likely not! Her definition of new, and yours will undoubtedly be different! It will be a refurb, tossed into a plain brown box, with only styrofoam peanuts for protection!
Mine was wrapped in lots of bubble wrap as well as the peanuts.
Peanuts went out with CDs. The box it is sold in is good, why don't they have shipping worthy boxes like that?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I shipped my Phantom back to them in the original box/case that it came in. I sure hope they send it back. That was an excellent box to store it in.
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Mine was wrapped in lots of bubble wrap as well as the peanuts.
Peanuts went out with CDs. The box it is sold in is good, why don't they have shipping worthy boxes like that?

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
They did the same for brand new DOA batteries. I sent them 4 brand new P4 batteries in retail boxes that I bought directly from DJI, and included my original receipt, and got back 4 clearly refurbished batteries, loose in a box, with bubble wrap and peanuts, with no packaging whatsoever, despite being told that batteries are never refurbished, and defective batteries are always replaced with brand new batteries! I was planning on reselling them to buy P4P batteries, but without the retail boxes, I wouldn't buy them either! :(

Loose, without the retail boxes, the best I can get for them is $80 each on eBay. With the boxes, Best Buy would do a no receipt store credit for $169 each, which is what I paid for them from DJI! That's a $356 loss! :(

Hmmm, that is way too much to pay for batteries. I bought one in November from Amazon.com and paid something like $115.00. Exactly like the original.

Hmmm, that is way too much to pay for batteries. I bought one in November from Amazon.com and paid something like $115.00. Exactly like the original.
That might explain your crash. If the battery failed, or shut off in flight...

Reactions: Pharm
He did say it was still running on the way down to earth.

Edit: I could have been a couple of second glitch though I suppose.
Intermittent short, after the first crash? As we unpeel the onion, we learn of a prior crash and an aftermarket battery. Hmmm. Certainly enough to void any warranty on the final crash.

That might explain your crash. If the battery failed, or shut off in flight...
No, when I got to the drone at the crash site, which was about 10 feet from the takeoff point, it was powered up, all lights flashing, battery showing 3 green and one flashing LED so the battery did not fail. In fact after I cleaned it up and flew it with another battery, I tried the crashed one and it worked fine. Anticipating getting mty drone back tomorrow, I just charged both batteries and all looks fine.
Thanks for the input,
Jim
WA5TEF

Forgot to add, it was an identical DJI battery, same everything, markings and all.
Thanks,
Jim

Forgot to add, it was an identical DJI battery, same everything, markings and all.
Thanks,
Jim
Thanks for clarifying. Misunderstood your initial statement. DJI branded battery bought at a discount, as opposed to an aftermarket battery.

Intermittent short, after the first crash? As we unpeel the onion, we learn of a prior crash and an aftermarket battery. Hmmm. Certainly enough to void any warranty on the final crash.
No on both comments! It was NOT an after market battery. It is identical to the one that came with the drone. Had I not put a black on one of them, I could not tell them apart. And, the first crash was only into a tree, only prop damage. I have video records of it and it was on November 25th. I flew the drone again that same day and every day through December and many times around Christmas with grandkids. No problems at all. And the flip over occurred January 21, 2017 to there were a very many flights between the two incidents, only one of which would actually be called a "crash"!
Thanks for the comments though, that is what keeps the forums going.
Jim
WA5TEF

Did the first crash into a tree result in a fall to the ground? How high did it fall from? Internal circuit board damage often doesn't become apparent until later, when something bizarre happens, like say inverted flight. Looking forward to what is in your shipping box tomorrow!

Did the first crash into a tree result in a fall to the ground? How high did it fall from? Internal circuit board damage often doesn't become apparent until later, when something bizarre happens,

The same facts have been presented over and over in this thread and the one OP started on the DJI forums.

Bottom line is:

1) OP had an incident/crash before this. It doesn't matter how many successful flights were made between then and the current 'incident'. OP cannot say with any certainty that no damage was done at that time that only manifested itself now.

Indeed, OP must be pretty lucky that the craft was not completely destroyed after a power dive from effectively 20 floors up let alone freefall..

2) He is concerned with not getting his particular craft back. AFAICS this concern was brought about by the fact that DJI has sent emails detailing the repair steps. In reality many companies do this (Apple anyone?) although it would be strange to get a different a/c back if you were being kept appraised of each repair step (which itself strange unless I've misread OP's posts. I can't see why DJI would do this , no one else does, not even your car mechanic unless more problems are found)

3) He really wants to know the cause of the crash, which is completely reasonable. However, one must accept point 1 above as a very likely candidate otherwise you are simply ignoring reality.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12