Phantom 4 dont ask to calibrate everytime. Big consern

Reaction score
Hello everyboddy. Ive got a phantom 4. Si ce i boughy it it very seldom asks me to calibrate the compass. Even if i want to out of my own in the aircraft status message it wont let me. This is a big cosern for me as i travel alot and fly at a lot of different locations. On my phantom 3 advanced i could calibrate when ever i wanted. Is it asetting or is it because of the dual compasses. Please if someone can assisits me.

Hello everyboddy. Ive got a phantom 4. Si ce i boughy it it very seldom asks me to calibrate the compass. Even if i want to out of my own in the aircraft status message it wont let me. This is a big cosern for me as i travel alot and fly at a lot of different locations. On my phantom 3 advanced i could calibrate when ever i wanted. Is it asetting or is it because of the dual compasses. Please if someone can assisits me.
If you aren’t promoted to calibrate the compass it isn’t required. The option to calibrate is still there, it’s just buried deeper in the GO menu structure- presumably to dissuade people form performing unnecessary calibrations which often create problems (bad calibration).

As WTB has said above, it's rarely necessary.
Calibration, which is actually compensation, negates the on-board distortions of the magnetic field caused by the ferrous and other similar materials ON the aircraft. These are categorized as Hard & Soft Iron.

This is why you spin the aircraft during the procedure so the distortions are characterized and can then be compensated for.

Once you have a good compensation you're set unless something changes on the aircraft such as adding, removing, or relocating devices on it such as a GPS tracker, drop mechanism, etc.

This is a big cosern for me as i travel alot and fly at a lot of different locations. On my phantom 3 advanced i could calibrate when ever i wanted. Is it asetting or is it because of the dual compasses.
Even of you are traveling and flying from different locations, you still shouldn't need to recalibrate the compass.
It's only because of poor wording in old manuals that the myth developed causing people to think it was necessary.
Look at the current P4 pro manual to see what they say nowdays - nothing about calibrating for a new Phantom or if you move to a new location.
In a year of hard use and travel, I haven't ever calibrated anything on my P4 pro and had no problems with it.

If you ever want to calibrate the compass, it can always be done from the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Calibrate-Compass.jpg

It's only because of poor wording in old manuals that the myth developed causing people to think it was necessary.
I think it's also partly due to the fact that DJI is still recommending it in some of their articles/documentation. For example, just 6 days ago, they released this article that states calibrating the compass before every flight is essential for safety.

I think it's also partly due to the fact that DJI is still recommending it in some of their articles/documentation. For example, just 6 days ago, they released this article that states calibrating the compass before every flight is essential for safety.
Yes ..DJI communications are not as good as they should be.
They keep recycling the same myths.

If you aren’t promoted to calibrate the compass it isn’t required. The option to calibrate is still there, it’s just buried deeper in the GO menu structure- presumably to dissuade people form performing unnecessary calibrations which often create problems (bad calibration).

Thank you so much i appreciate the advise. Awesome to be helped by fellow droners.

Thanks so much to everyone who assisted me in this i appreciate the words of wisdom alot. Now i can fly with more and be assured. You guys rock. Kind regards.

I calibrated the compass and IMU before my first flight and all did well.
Then on my second flight on my rooftop i checked the sensors and while the IMU was near zero the compass was getting interference and prompted to calibrate it. I didn't do the calibration since I lifted the drone from the rooftop and the errors of the compass was limited. It was getting the interference from the reinforced concrete I suppose.
Therefore I think that the calibration prompts are not always true. Do you agree?

Then on my second flight on my rooftop i checked the sensors and while the IMU was near zero the compass was getting interference and prompted to calibrate it. I didn't do the calibration since I lifted the drone from the rooftop and the errors of the compass was limited. It was getting the interference from the reinforced concrete I suppose.
Therefore I think that the calibration prompts are not always true. Do you agree?
I have heard and read that reinforced concrete can have a influence on the compass. It has happened to me aswell. I just moved my drone. And it sometimes asked me to calibrate. Wich i was happy for i didnt know that when i purchased the p4 it wouldnt ask me to calibrate. In my mind like with my p3a i always calibrated. So i thought the p4 would alow for the same actions. Im totaly new to the p4 and to me its alot different than my p3a.

I think that the calibration prompts are not always true. Do you agree?
If you ever see a compass-related message in DJI GO, it's most likely not a case where you should be calibrating the compass. I'm not convinced that DJI GO will ever prompt you to calibrate the compass when it's needed.

Never launch or land on a steel or reinforced concrete surface.
It screws up the compass and can end badly.
If you think your Phantom is telling you to recalibrate the compass, move away from the steel object that is upsetting it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl