Phantom 4 Battery problem

Reaction score
Good morning all,

I have an issue with one of my batteries. When checking the level it displays 3x green lights, but when I connect it to the drone, the battery starts as you would expect, but the drone doesn't power on. When connecting the battery to the charger, it flashes as if it is charging then the lights go out for a short period, then they start flashing again. this repeats continually and the battery never actually gains any charge.

I should note that, the battery did briefly power on the drone for a flight, which resulted in the drone immediately becoming unresponsive to the controller and it crashed. the motor kept spinning until the blades sheared off and I was able to pick it up and it finally shut off on its own. The emergency cut off through the controller didn't work.

So I don't know if the crash caused the battery to fail, or the failed battery caused the crash. I am leaning towards the latter, as when charging the battery one of them did seem to charge up much faster than the other (I suspect this is that battery)

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: Mith modern
yes, the drone flies and operates as it should with the battery, and the other battery takes a full charge as well.

I believe that is the answer to your question. You have a battery problem.
I wouldn't try to fly the drone with a defective battery. Not only for the risk to loose the drone, but for the damage it can cause if it fails during a flight and falls.

Yes, I am also thinking the battery is the issue. Is there a way to test the battery? or reset it if it has gone into a failsafe mode?

Reactions: tmgrood
Good morning all,

I have an issue with one of my batteries. When checking the level it displays 3x green lights, but when I connect it to the drone, the battery starts as you would expect, but the drone doesn't power on. When connecting the battery to the charger, it flashes as if it is charging then the lights go out for a short period, then they start flashing again. this repeats continually and the battery never actually gains any charge.

I should note that, the battery did briefly power on the drone for a flight, which resulted in the drone immediately becoming unresponsive to the controller and it crashed. the motor kept spinning until the blades sheared off and I was able to pick it up and it finally shut off on its own. The emergency cut off through the controller didn't work.

So I don't know if the crash caused the battery to fail, or the failed battery caused the crash. I am leaning towards the latter, as when charging the battery one of them did seem to charge up much faster than the other (I suspect this is that battery)

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks
Definitely your battery is faulty and needs to be replaced.

I have a P4 battery that drained to about 1.5volts. After opening the case and seeing that all the cells decent, I was able to charge it with a NiMH charger at a very low Amp setting to get the battery 15.32 volts. I checked the individual cells they were 3.82, 3.84, 3.83 and 3.83 volts. When I would then turn on the battery, I would get it to flash the first two LED lights as though it were charging. After about 10 seconds, only the 2nd LED would flash and the first would stay lit.
When I attach the charger, it powers up the battery, but the same routine... It would flash the first two LED lights in sequence and then only the second light would flash while the first light would stay on. After about 15 minutes, the battery would turn off. No charge seems to added to the Battery. After doing this 10+ times, I checked the battery voltage and it was slightly lower than when I started. Thus it isn't taking any charge, it is just lighting the LED's.
I also tried unplugging the balance plug on the battery and letting it sit overnight to drain any residual current. After plugging that balance wire back in, it still doesn't charge. The drone does not power up with the battery so I can't drop new firmware to the battery just incase that was the issue...
Any suggestions what to try next?

I believe that is the answer to your question. You have a battery problem.
I wouldn't try to fly the drone with a defective battery. Not only for the risk to loose the drone, but for the damage it can cause if it fails during a flight and falls.
yes thank you i have same issue i done this

I realise that this is well old by now but I thought I would update this thread.
I managed to resolve this issue.

I pulled the battery apart and the problem was the main red wire had come away from the PCB. SO I re-soldered and bought a new battery enclosure from eBay, put it all back together and would you believe it works perfectly now.

DJI batteries that discharge too much lock out with Power Failure. (PF) You can manually charge them back up but you need special software to clear the PF. I have the software but it is not easy. Either have a professional do it or replace the battery.

What software is this and how does one get hold of it?
As I mentioned above, I actually resolved my issue as it was a physical problem with the battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31